Model trains and Christmas lights. Wow!

chuck

• Members

I bought a ranch in Texas, so I'm not in town. I'm having about a mile worth of track laid right away, and planning on setting up the display on either side of it. It's not a "TO SCALE" train for the purists, but I wanted something VERY stable. The track is 24 inches wide, and the cars are about 40" wide and about 12 feet long. It should hold around 125 people from what we were talking about, and handle 50 tons of rolling load very easily, and we're not even half that much.

Here's where I got the idea. You can see the train design clearly in the first link, and the next link are Christmas videos of the same train ride.

https://youtu.be/CBzk7vYCPTA

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mccormick+stillman+christmas

It's a lot of work, but when it's in, it's DONE, and it's something I've always wanted since I was a kid. I've actually started planning for track around some of the ranch over the next few years and will probably have close to 20 to 25 miles of track. I'm HOPING to have the train done and basic layout done next year, and a small display up, and in 2024 or 2025 by the latest, having 90% of it done. Until then, it's buying and building props, because it's going to take A LOT to fill up that much area.

Church Point, Louisiana

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 10/1/2022 at 4:05 PM, ex-grinch said:

It's a lot of work, but when it's in, it's DONE, and it's something I've always wanted since I was a kid. I've actually started planning for track around some of the ranch over the next few years and will probably have close to 20 to 25 miles of track. I'm HOPING to have the train done and basic layout done next year, and a small display up, and in 2024 or 2025 by the latest, having 90% of it done. Until then, it's buying and building props, because it's going to take A LOT to fill up that much area.

Sounds AWESOME!  Better have real good insurance.  All it takes is one knucklehead to get hurt and become sue happy. *rolls eyes*

Illinois

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 12/7/2022 at 8:35 AM, Sickie Ickie said:

Sounds AWESOME!  Better have real good insurance.  All it takes is one knucklehead to get hurt and become sue happy. *rolls eyes*

Sad but true. 😒

😏