chat

sparkles

• Members

Hello all,

I'm a new member and just wanted to say hello to everyone. I have to say I am in awe of what a lot of you do with your decorating and your displays. We don't do anything like that at all (which is why I wrote teeny weeny in my profile) but I admire what others do. I'm impressed by peoples creativity and the time and effort they put into it.

I remember a few years ago going over to someones house. (a friend of a friend) It was stunning. Christmas everywhere. Tastefully done too. It wasn't even all of their stuff either, which was really mind blowing. Do you find that you do not use all of your stuff either? If you have a lot of stuff, where do you store it?

Out of the people that I know. Some have a Christmas shed in their yards. Others put everything in a spare room. Or basement. My stuff is a big disorganized mess right now and is scattered all over the house. My plan is to go through it all and get rid of what I don't want/need and then reorganize what's left and store it in one (or 2) place(s). Easier said than done!

Do you tend to do the same thing every year or is it always different? I would think that doing the same thing every year would make life easier in terms of packing things up and storing.

In terms of what I have, I try not to buy anything else unless I really really like it. I already have too much as it is. I don't need anything else. 😏

I have a lot of things that used to belong to my grandparents. I think what I'm going to do is put aside a place to display all those precious pieces. Someplace where they can be admired but are not in any danger of being damaged. I also have many village pieces though I haven't set it up in a while since we've been slowly working on renovating. We also have a few blow molds.

I had the day off so I was running errands today. Walmart still had Christmas items but most of it is gone. The local hardware store was still well stocked. I looked (and drooled) but didn't get anything.

Oh and there's still a radio station in these parts that is still playing all Christmas music! How great is that.

So, does anyone have any big plans for NY Eve?  We're just having a quiet night here. It's the one night of the year we stay off of the roads.

😏

• Members

Welcome aboard! For the inside we generally use everything we have and is about the same each year.

Outside we NEVER use everything. I always have surplus for when strands go bad from year to year or just didn't have enough time to get everything up. Typically my display is about the same each year but it may slightly change depending on what items we may have gotten the last 365 days. 

I start putting stuff up Nov 1 as soo. As all my Halloween stuff comes down as we do a lot for that too. And then we go lights on Thanksgiving night and lights shine through NYE. Fingers crossed it doesn't rain tomorrow as it has poured here today and tripping a few of my GFCI plugs.

Welcome aboard again!

Terre Haute, IN

• Members

I think I want to do what you're doing. Figure out what I want to do and then stick with that (more or less) year after year. That will make life a lot easier.

That's a good idea to have a reserve of strands in case one goes bad. This year a tree limb came down during a storm and damaged one strand but I was able to repair it and now we're back in business. Like you, we have some unopened boxes of lights ... just in case.

If you have a strand that goes bad, do you try to repair it? I have the tools to fix both led and non-led lights. I've fixed a few non-led strands. I have yet to use the tool for led strands. I keep saying I'll get to that later and then "later" never seems to get here. 😏

We start putting up the outdoor stuff the first nice day in November. We just don't turn the lights on until later. Putting stuff out while wearing a t-shirt is much better than waiting until later when it's cold. LOL  My neighbor across the street waits until he's ready to turn them on and then inevitably ends up being out there in the cold freezing his buns off. Everything here stays up until Epiphany.

Not that I put up that much stuff but I do not take everything down at once. The house looks too naked when I do that. I take a few things down each day and gradually go back to normal. That has worked out much better for us.

That house I mentioned. The one that has Christmas in every nook and cranny in the house. They start decorating in September. I don't know when they start putting things away. Someone else that I know .. they leave their stuff up until the end of January. I've heard of others who leave stuff up even longer.

Sorry to hear about the GFCI plugs being tripped. Did you stay rain free and get to enjoy your display uninterrupted?

😏

• Members

So .. how long does everyone keep their lights on?

We'll be turning ours off next weekend. That will be a sad day.

There's a house down the street from us that leaves their lights on for months. Even the blow molds will be out. There's another house about a mile from here that left their display up for a long time too. Eventually they'll change it over to an Easter display. Other houses in the past have left white lights up in their yards. Then I'll occasionally see a house with colored lights up.

😏

• Members

I leave mine on through New Years Eve. I started taking mine down today but we also decided to start redoing the floors today so did that a while and when I took a "rest break" from pulling tiles I took down Christmas.

I start putting stuff up and it take me basically all month. I turn stuff on Thanksgiving night.

Terre Haute, IN

• Administrators

My rule of thumb has always been lights-on Thanksgiving night and lights-out the day after Christmas.  

For me celebrating the holidays before Thanksgiving or after Christmas never feels quite right.  Knowing exact dates makes it easier to marshal the troops for setup/teardown.

• Members

The lights at my house are never turned off.

Let me explain.

I do a Halloween Setup and Christmas like most of us. But I also have lights wrapped around my windows and garage door that I can program, the Home Depot Show Home lights and I change them often.

The lights never go off, so this year, Wednesday the 4th, I am off for 5 days, I will take certain sections down and get them inside, looks like decent weather for it to.

But I leave certain things up until March like icicle lights, a couple of trees that are not christmas-y so to speak, basically anything that is winter feeling but not Ho-Ho-Ho.

An Easter bunny out at easter, some patriotic lights at Memorial Day to 4th of July and my Show Home lights around the windows will change with the season.

My neighborhood seems to enjoy it and I am glad they do.

I am fortunate with what I have in the world, I don't mind making people smile most of the year around.

Kirkwood, NY

• Members

Years ago I worked at a job that required me to travel through a certain neighborhood periodically during my commute. There was a house that had a bow window. The display in the window changed each month. Hearts for February, Shamrocks for March, Easter decorations, graduation decorations, etc. You get the idea. I really enjoyed going by that house and seeing what the display was. So I'm sure people enjoy going by your place to see the changes.

😏

• Members

The icicle lights on the house here will probably stay up until some nice spring day. (they just won't be turned on)  There are big ornaments hanging from the garage overhang. Maybe if we get a nice day, one of us will get out there with a ladder to take them down. Of course then if that happens, the icicle lights will be taken down from the overhang at the same time.

Things are slowly coming down indoors. Hopefully it will all be finished this weekend. (famous last words .. LOL)

😏

• Members

By the way. What a gloomy day it is here. Wet and raw. It would be a great day to just jump back into bed and snuggle there all day! 😏

😏

• Members

Today I drove by some houses that still had Christmas stuff out in their yards. One yard still had a lot of blow molds. Another had ornaments hanging from their tree. Someone else still had some inflatables. I went by a house that had the candle lights in the windows plus their tree was still up in the living room ... and ... even though it was daytime all the lights were turned on.

I was driving with a big smile on my face. 😁

😏

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What a bummer. I took advantage of the nice weather and brought in the last of the outdoor lights and decorations. It's enough to make a grown person cry. 😭

Does anyone still have their stuff up?

Have you seen any houses with lights still on?

😏

• Members
2 hours ago, sparkles said:

What a bummer. I took advantage of the nice weather and brought in the last of the outdoor lights and decorations. It's enough to make a grown person cry. 😭

Does anyone still have their stuff up?

Have you seen any houses with lights still on?

I have my stuff up but off. Still working on the floors and then days I finally have time its cold and raining so I'm in no mood to take stuff down during that. 

Terre Haute, IN

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Last night I saw plenty of houses with lights still up!! 😁  I didn't even go that far either so it was pretty surprising.

I saw 5 houses with white lights on and then I saw 5 houses with colored Christmas lights up.  At one house the lights were flashing away and changing color.

It was so nice to see. It really cheered me up.🎄

😏