Big box store blow molds?

chuck

• Administrators

I'm getting excited about some of the blowmolds I'm seeing displayed in the holiday decorations departments of the big box stores.

But...

I'm worried If buying them will make me look like everyone else.  Somehow I'm worried buying that cute little Snoopy isn't so special if there are 200 others scattered around my city.

• Members

For me I have max out my storage space. So, it has to be something I really want bad. I am glad to see blow molds making a come back. I wish there were more made in USA. The CADO ones are hard to find in Atlanta area. Below are some pictures of Lowes in Douglasville GA (west of Atlanta)

0623FF26-3197-49DE-BB94-9A5933ED5BDD.jpeg

CEBFE44D-9C0E-44EA-8C26-B6D0B9DDD023.jpeg

24799699-A675-4382-BAB8-8E3116275CE3.jpeg

FA273598-4EF6-420B-846B-58B927D49CCF.jpeg

0888DFDA-ACBB-47E8-BE37-E30F84724C3B.jpeg

71F217F0-C39D-4EFC-A0AC-4402A4C1EDE8.jpeg

4F3009EE-21CB-487B-BE2C-6FD0A057E75A.jpeg

082CFF5C-B5C7-40CE-8173-A4C6D08ACA40.jpeg

26B9BBF4-422C-4551-A33C-09AB19996CC2.jpeg

AB34A083-0A3C-4123-B4CF-A24F898879FF.jpeg

21DE567B-C7F1-4EA0-BD10-1C3CE0B4BA1D.jpeg

Scott Rob

• Members

I have been adding many of the newer blow molds from China to the collection even though we no longer do a display due to our age and health limitations.  I have not posted here for a few years because my interests have changed somewhat and I have been concentrating more on Halloween blow molds the last few years but still work with Christmas ones also.  I am still heavily involved with blow-molded.com and contributing pictures and information there.

I have always preferred the blow molds that were made in the US but I have to say that in my opinion the quality and paint of the new ones being made in China overall are better then what we were getting from the USA companies the last few years they were in business.  Also there has been a big selection of new designs the last few years and it appears there are more designs added each year.  One of the new designs I am anxiously awaiting is "Max" to go with Cindy Lu and the Grinch ones.

Mount Vernon, Washington, USA

• Members
56 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

I have been adding many of the newer blow molds from China to the collection even though we no longer do a display due to our age and health limitations.  I have not posted here for a few years because my interests have changed somewhat and I have been concentrating more on Halloween blow molds the last few years but still work with Christmas ones also.  I am still heavily involved with blow-molded.com and contributing pictures and information there.

I have always preferred the blow molds that were made in the US but I have to say that in my opinion the quality and paint of the new ones being made in China overall are better then what we were getting from the USA companies the last few years they were in business.  Also there has been a big selection of new designs the last few years and it appears there are more designs added each year.  One of the new designs I am anxiously awaiting is "Max" to go with Cindy Lu and the Grinch ones.

Glad you’re back Mel, we’ve missed you! Here’s a link to the Max, hopefully you can find one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Holiday-Time-24-Inch-Blow-Mold-Max-from-The-Grinch/319791644

Canada

• Members
13 minutes ago, Snoopyguy said:

Glad you’re back Mel, we’ve missed you! Here’s a link to the Max, hopefully you can find one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Holiday-Time-24-Inch-Blow-Mold-Max-from-The-Grinch/319791644

I checked the link but there are none available in any of the stores near me.  Fortunately I have heard from Charlie Enos and he has located one for me.

Mel

Mount Vernon, Washington, USA

• Members

Glad to see they are making a come back I have mostly old vintage blow molds but they are getting hard to find here in Florida.  I got most of mine in New York but I don't get back up there very often now.

Lake City, Florida

• chuck changed the title to Big box store blow molds?
  • Members

I am happy they have made a comeback, and do like that some of the design ideas are new and not rehashes of things from the past.

This year I have a list of about 10 pieces I want to pick up, and I am quickly running out of space (technically, I AM out of space).

I like some of the approaches Lowes did this year where the pieces can collapse, we will see how they hold up (I picked up the North Pole sign and the stack of gifts).

I do wish they would stop with the battery operated decorations, or the blow molds that only light up with small LED lights (think last years Home Depot rocking horse and polar bear).  

I do wish Gemmy's paint applications were better, they seem like if you look at them the wrong way the paint scuffs 😄

New Jersey

• Members

Went to Home Depot that had good many things. I wish they had more traditional blow molds instead of little lights though plastics mold. The animated items were color looking. 

A27BDC50-7756-45E7-BE48-2F65019994EE.jpeg

614E58EE-3319-4D44-911C-68F0CE0E6B9E.jpeg

13E67E70-62E7-495E-9014-3DA0896779EA.jpeg

035A4230-672A-46F9-9761-0F1ECC38E5E4.jpeg

8D67D7B7-815F-4106-BC01-2CE02C8912AF.jpeg

31F874BD-5A58-4377-ADB8-15A78567DAFD.jpeg

Edited by Scott Rob

Scott Rob

• Members

I got the Snoopy, it was shipped to us from Lowe's because ours would never have it in stock, looks great with the light not on, looks terrible with the light on, the mold on the inside of his nose\snout is horrible and only shows up when it's on.

Kirkwood, NY

• Members
On 9/28/2022 at 4:17 PM, Mel Fischer said:

Glad to see you back on Mel!!! I have been on the look out for the "Max, Cindy Lu, and peppermint swirl". I am also still sending in to blow-molded.com as well. I enjoy the research, contributing pictures and information as well! I slowed way down on collecting new items since I have maxed out my storage space. 

Edited by Scott Rob

Scott Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members
On 9/30/2022 at 4:04 PM, HowardFamilyChristmasDisplay said:

I got the Snoopy, it was shipped to us from Lowe's because ours would never have it in stock, looks great with the light not on, looks terrible with the light on, the mold on the inside of his nose\snout is horrible and only shows up when it's on.

I've noticed that problem with some of them. They don't look as good at night. There's an old Mrs Claus that I like but do not have. I've seen photos of her at night and I have to say that she looks rather creepy at night.

😏