Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MrMatt

Help a new guy get setup.

I bought 2 16 channel controllers and have stuff to build a mega tree to add to my house this year. My starting questions are What level of sequence software should I get as a minimum, meaning is there or are there things that make it worth upgrading from the basic plus, such as save time sequencing or something else.

Secondly I plan to make a mega tree about 15.5' tall thinking about 7. 5 diameter. I want to have it full looking, and be able to sequence spinning and such with only one color. I know many use 16 channels, but are there other smaller numbers I could use that would work well like 8 or 12 channels? I look forward to suggestions

Here is what I have to work with 190b6a2c6c09efa6a0c089bc4357b398.jpg61740496080d484ce37a993dfa1ca9d0.jpg

thanks i was considering that, is there a specific feature that the standard doesn't have that you like? from your sig with 240 channels i see you need it for that just curious if there are any other useful features you use. Thanks again!

For me it less about any certain feature sine most of the additional features benefit pixel user. For me it the # of controller's it allows. And that way when your display grows you already have the right license level.

1 person likes this

For two controllers I would stay with the  basic. The license will expire and if you decide to add more controller you can upgrade.

For the Mega tree you will need at LEAST 16 channels to make it work. I use 16 on my small one and 32 on my large one and if I had more ambition I would double both of them.

1 person likes this

Secondly I plan to make a mega tree about 15.5' tall thinking about 7. 5 diameter. I want to have it full looking, and be able to sequence spinning and such with only one color. I know many use 16 channels, but are there other smaller numbers I could use that would work well like 8 or 12 channels? I look forward to suggestions

Have you built your tree yet?

if not, here are my 2 cents worth.
the tree will not look really good for sequencing without many channels. However! you can make 8 or 12 work if you run them up and over in effect creating a two sided display and doubling the effects. Use multiple strands for each channel to add fullness. another "cool" thing on any megatree is to run returns back to the center. Build your base a foot or more above ground level and bring the strand back to the center pole.

I ran 8s on my 360 degree mega tree (15' x 7') before converting to RGB.  I used red, green and blue for a total of 24 channels.  It was fine, but I agree with what was mentioned above...the more channels the better it flows when spinning.  I did a 6 channel white spiral wrap as well....IMO, that the spiral wrap gives so much more movement as it gives a fill up and down motion.  If you are only doing a single color, I would do the spiral wraps.  My last 2 channels was for the star and strobes.

I ran 8s on my 360 degree mega tree (15' x 7') before converting to RGB.  I used red, green and blue for a total of 24 channels.  It was fine, but I agree with what was mentioned above...the more channels the better it flows when spinning.  I did a 6 channel white spiral wrap as well....IMO, that the spiral wrap gives so much more movement as it gives a fill up and down motion.  If you are only doing a single color, I would do the spiral wraps.  My last 2 channels was for the star and strobes.

Thanks for the tips, do you have a link or tips on setting up the spiral wrap, I really like that idea

This spread sheet calculates it all for spirals.

Spiraltreespreadsheet-97.xls

One thing I should have mentioned with spiral is you need more guy wires to hold the shape.  I laid mine over the vertical light strands.  Also, I ran the hoop base that Mike Kreb mentioned.  I used 1/2 PVC conduit to form the base ring and that all the strands connected to and once all connected it sat about 2' off the ground and was tied down to stakes.  This kept the vertical strands tight.  For the size of the tree, the 21' strands would run from the base to the top and then back down so 8 strands really end up looking like 16...which helps fill in the tree.

1 person likes this

Well after many hours of construction I lit up my tree tonight for the first time. I am planning on 12 channels, 24 strings of 100 163c1e976d761f592df04bbe0cb4acfb.jpg
Tomorrow I plan on adding extension cord so I can pull the lights all the way up. I am very happy with the results!

Looking good, what did you use for the center pole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good, what did you use for the center pole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I used 1.5" galvanized pipe 2, 10 foot sections with one cut down to get the height I want

On 6/26/2017 at 10:39 PM, MrMatt said:

Well after many hours of construction I lit up my tree tonight for the first time. I am planning on 12 channels, 24 strings of 100 163c1e976d761f592df04bbe0cb4acfb.jpg
Tomorrow I plan on adding extension cord so I can pull the lights all the way up. I am very happy with the results!

If I may ask, where did you get your star? I'm looking for an inexpensive tree topper like yours.

If I may ask, where did you get your star? I'm looking for an inexpensive tree topper like yours.

Christmaslightshow.com I got it in a combo pack with one of their tree toppers, in the morning I can post a link if you want.

Just now, MrMatt said:

Christmaslightshow.com I got it in a combo pack with one of their tree toppers, in the morning I can post a link if you want.

It's all good. I'm doing some shopping and research right now, I'll take a look myself. Thank you for sharing. Was it expensive?

It's all good. I'm doing some shopping and research right now, I'll take a look myself. Thank you for sharing. Was it expensive?

With the tree topper it was only like $15 more than the tree topper itself, so I thought it was great for $15

Thanks for the info, I like what I see. Great find, I'm very appreciative. We couldn't find cheap solutions until now. :D

On 6/26/2017 at 11:39 PM, MrMatt said:

Looks GREAT!  Well done. Now you have until November to light it up.

1 person likes this

Mr. Matt have you ever seen Richard Holdman's old videos? If not here is one form 2010. I ask this because if memory serves me his tree was 3 colors, 8 channels each, just like qberg was saying. As you can see it looks pretty good. I have 2 mega trees one is 8 channels of clear, 4 green, and 4 red. My other is 15 channels clear and 8 red. Adding LED's so no green last year. You an do whatever you want. I would suggest trying to maximize your channels for more overall movement of your display. I'll also add a clip of mine. Look at the tree to the right in the back. It is 8 channels clear. Hope this helps you. 

1 person likes this