Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

joelnicol

House decorated in the 1950's!!

Picture from our local historical society of a house in the community decorated for Christmas in the 50's.IMG_0949.JPG

8 people like this

Beautiful. Wonder how the supported the sleigh and reindeer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/13/2017 at 6:49 AM, joelnicol said:

Picture from our local historical society of a house in the community decorated for Christmas in the 50's.

That is totally awesome!  The old displays like that had a warmth to them that you just don't find very often anymore.  I enjoy lightshows and I like (SOME of) the advantages of LED lights, but even though they were way before my time I can't help feeling like we've lost something when I see these old nostalgic pictures.

On 1/13/2017 at 7:57 AM, Jim Noel said:

Beautiful. Wonder how the supported the sleigh and reindeer.

I think it was probably suspended by a cable (or cables) run between the trees.  It looks like the sleigh and reindeer have a slight arc in their formation which would happen with a cable because it would sag some in the middle.

TED

Edited by TED
to enjoy the nostalgia!
2 people like this

I miss the super simple displays like this as well. Ol' incandescent lights...LOVE them:)

Don't miss the electric bills for ol classic displays. As I'm not to far removed from the classic c9 days. I'll spend $500 to 1k a year and still come out ahead. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear yea, my first display had 7k incans....WOW what a bill I got!!

Although I've changed much of my display over to LED's I'm still stubbornly keeping incandescent lights in the display. If you like incandescent mini's, phase out the standard .32amp variety with the energy saving ones like Phillips brand energy savers. With .16amp. draw your getting twice the lighting power with hardly a discernible difference in brightness. There is a warmth in incandescent light  that just cant be found in LED's and I don't ever see myself having a display without them.

2 people like this

A classy display will always employ more creative design elements than just lights whether controlled by technology or not. There will never be a substitute for a Rembrandt or a Mona Lisa.