Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Lights@721

Why is it always about the number of lights...

34 posts in this topic

i actually am surprised no one really ask what it cost to do the display itself.  If only some knew, they'd crap bricks.  I regretted being curious and making that total lol

1 person likes this

I've heard the same questions for years. How many lights? extension cords? how much is the electric bill and what must this cost? They are all just ways to convey the  size and scale. It used to bother me, but what are people supposed to ask or say when they are taken aback by a big display?

3 people like this

It is not about how many lights on our huge display, folks here all say OMG it's so beautiful, so elegant, so well done etc. etc. the reason for this is because our display is precisely placed, not thrown out there with no rhyme or reason or lined up like soldiers it is done in vignettes unlike so many simply hung up or tossed around and then light it up and done! oh no not at my house! and mostly they say thank you for this wonderful display we can come by nightly to see., and then of course many ask where do you store it all?   We have so many taking videos and pics. and that's okay with us and yes we've been interviewed by our local paper (she came to our home) as well and she never asked how many lights not once, she did asked to take pics. and also if we'd pose in our display which of course I said no thanks. Also we do not just load everything in front of our home but rather all around all four sides and it can be seen from other streets as well. Our only problem is irresponsible parents not paying attention to their kids running amuck we have our front roped off, do they know why, apparently not! wires, wires and 500ft. of wire for our and lawn lights  on our front lawn. had a kid just last night on our front lawn nearly gave us a heart attack, had to run out and tell the clueless mother to get her kid off the lawn. No damage done thank goodness. Today rope goes up the sides as well.

Here's our display outside and inside if you have not seen it; Enjoy!

4 people like this

For me, quantity is pretty important. To a point. Nothing like driving down a street and seeing four houses in a row with at least one string of lights at the eaves, and then the house with nothing. Not even a tree in the window. It seems so dark.  The leap from nothing to one string is a huge leap, the second stream adds, as does the third, but not so much. So the house with two strands is a major leap from the house with none, and I still love the house with hundreds, but the impact from dark to light is so much less. 

I ramble and am not good with words, but I hope I was able to share my point.

1 person likes this

Absolutely! The leap from darkness to light is gigantic. The difference between 5,000 lights and 500,000 not so much.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Bill V said:

Absolutely! The leap from darkness to light is gigantic. The difference between 5,000 lights and 500,000 not so much.

You said it so much better than I Bill.

Noob here, this was the first thread I saw. All I have now are incans. Maybe 1,500 if that much. I lost a lot this year. I'm working on a 2017 show, have already started building elements. I went to a guys house who has a large, animated display. The news and such says he has 60,000 lights. I was impressed at first. Like most. Then I got a behind the scenes tour. He showed me everything, explained it all. What I noticed was this, and its been touched on already. His mini trees have 5 strands of 100 lights. Red, blue, white, green, multi-color. Thats 500 per tree, there were 20 trees. His house was outlined in the same manor, but no multicolor strands. Now, if these had been RGB strands, he could accomplish the same show with 12-15,000 lights. He even said as much, but he is heavily invested in his show, has been for years, won't convert until its time to replace elements. So yes, not impressive in numbers, but the sequence, the design, very well done. What am I saying? I agree with the fact that numbers don't mean squat, its all in the presentation. I look forward to learning a lot here.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 5:16 AM, Bill V said:

I don't know -- that seems like a pretty big leap to me!

I don't worry about how many lights I have, I worry about does it pop? I made a 16' wreath as my center piece this year and it took just shy of 14,000 lights to make it pop. I have an 8' cross on the roof that is wrapped with 1,200 lights. Each arch over the driveway has 600 lights on each x's 6 arches.
My question would be how do you count RGB's? Do you count them as Red, Green, Blue, Purple, Orange, Yellow, and so on and so on? At last rough count I was at just over 40,000 last year but this year I was down around 30,000. I decorated my neighbors house with the extras. Trying to get him to buy a controller and hook it up wifi so I can program his house too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk