Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

PhotoRay

What is this?!

Saw these (home-made?) tree displays this last year. Have never seen anything like them before. The lights look programmed "moving" around inside these small trees showing through frosted acrylic. Looks like some rgb rope light or strings running around the inside edge of the tree. Anybody know anything about them?

P1120073.JPG

P1120087.JPG

1 person likes this

Looks like a modern take on this tree from 1958:

GE Light Magazine December 1958

Here it is again from a 1970 GE Christmas Lighting guide:

GE 1970 Christmas Idea booklet p12&13

3 people like this

OMG! That's amazing! How did you find that?  :o

It looks almost identical. Thank you!

Edited by PhotoRay

1 minute ago, PhotoRay said:

OMG! That's amazing! How did you find that?  :o

It looks almost identical.

I collect vintage Christmas Lighting, including the Lighting Guides that were popular from the 50's through the 70's. I gave a talk at the last two Christmas Expo's on the History of Christmas Lighting and covered a lot of this. Many are finding the "next big idea" is often hidden away in one of these guides. These Lighting Guides were compiled by illumination engineers and implemented the very best practices in lighting. Even though technology has changed, good lighting technique have not.

Here's a link to several of those guides: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffcarter629/collections/72157635505741139/

Here's a link to my website: http://www.christmascraftsman.com/

5 people like this

Blend that Traditional design with modern technology. Wow, that was pretty cool.

1 person likes this

So I want to make my own version of this tree with rgb pixel lights. I'm thinking of maybe using LOR's string of Cosmic Pixels since I already have a LOR setup. It will also need an outline with a pixel strip around the inside of the front plexi glass (2 props total - about 400 to 500 channels). 

The more I read about pixel setups, the more confused I get.  :wacko:

Any suggestions on how to proceed and what hardware and software to use for a decoration like this? Thanks!

P1120796.jpg

On 2/23/2016 at 2:46 PM, JeffCarter said:

I collect vintage Christmas Lighting, including the Lighting Guides that were popular from the 50's through the 70's. I gave a talk at the last two Christmas Expo's on the History of Christmas Lighting and covered a lot of this. Many are finding the "next big idea" is often hidden away in one of these guides. These Lighting Guides were compiled by illumination engineers and implemented the very best practices in lighting. Even though technology has changed, good lighting technique have not.

Here's a link to several of those guides: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffcarter629/collections/72157635505741139/

Here's a link to my website: http://www.christmascraftsman.com/

Such a cool website!  Thank you for putting in the work to create that.  

3 people like this

6 hours ago, PhotoRay said:

So I want to make my own version of this tree with rgb pixel lights. I'm thinking of maybe using LOR's string of Cosmic Pixels since I already have a LOR setup. It will also need an outline with a pixel strip around the inside of the front plexi glass (2 props total - about 400 to 500 channels). 

Any suggestions on how to proceed and what hardware and software to use for a decoration like this? Thanks!

P1120796.jpg

LOR is not my area of expertise but there is a forum for that: http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/forum/262-light-o-rama-world/

Ask your question in that forum and I'm sure there will be plenty of folks willing to walk you through the process. Post a pic of your tree in this thread when you're done. I would love to see what you come up with.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, JeffCarter said:

LOR is not my area of expertise but there is a forum for that: http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/forum/262-light-o-rama-world/

Ask your question in that forum and I'm sure there will be plenty of folks willing to walk you through the process. Post a pic of your tree in this thread when you're done. I would love to see what you come up with.

Will do... thanks Jeff!

Parts are arriving and things are slowly coming together.

P1120882.jpg

P1120872.jpg

P1120873.jpg

P1120874.jpg

P1120875.jpg

P1120876.jpg

4 people like this

Look great!

1 person likes this

On 2/23/2016 at 0:12 AM, PhotoRay said:

Saw these (home-made?) tree displays this last year. Have never seen anything like them before. The lights look programmed "moving" around inside these small trees showing through frosted acrylic. Looks like some rgb rope light or strings running around the inside edge of the tree. Anybody know anything about them?

On 1/2/2017 at 3:45 PM, PhotoRay said:

It sounds like you saw those trees somewhere local to you.  If that is the case then why don't you try to ask the person that displayed them?

I agree with you about the whole RGB/Pixel thing.  It is complicated.  I think the first step in learning about them is confusion!  There are lots of Christmas gatherings ranging from small workshop demonstrations to large conventions.  I'd try to find one near you and attend.  There will almost certainly be a presentation or class on RGB/pixels.

TED

Edited by TED
to light up trees!
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

This is amazing! @Big J Illinois and I were looking for modern build plans for this! I like your idea to use pixels. I was going to try to do something similar but with standard LED strings. ( thread here)

@PhotoRay can you share the dimensions of your build? also are you planning to chrome or make the PVC tubes reflective at all? I was planning to maybe try a metallic paint on the inside of the tubes to make them "brighter"..

Edited by Lights@721
adding link to thread
1 person likes this

On 3/10/2017 at 6:24 AM, Lights@721 said:

This is amazing! @Big J Illinois and I were looking for modern build plans for this! I like your idea to use pixels. I was going to try to do something similar but with standard LED strings. ( thread here)

@PhotoRay can you share the dimensions of your build? also are you planning to chrome or make the PVC tubes reflective at all? I was planning to maybe try a metallic paint on the inside of the tubes to make them "brighter"..

Sorry for the late response. I thought I had posted this a while back. No plans to use chrome paint. I think pixels will be bright enough on their own.

Bubble Tree Plans 2017.jpg

Edited by PhotoRay

Looking good.  I cannot imagine the time it will take to setup and sequence it =p

1 person likes this

On 6/20/2017 at 9:05 AM, ccrowder said:

Looking good.  I cannot imagine the time it will take to setup and sequence it =p

Just think of the possibilities!  :-)

Minor progress. Inserting nodes into the back panel.

P1130063.jpg

P1130064.jpg

the build looks great....they are going to look incredible with the pixels!