Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

W Lewis

Cutting light wires

This is my 14th year for a light display.  This year I had someone come on my property after the show went off and cut the wires on my lights.  This happened 7 times and each time there were numerous cuts (over the season about 50 cuts).  Any suggestions how I can stop this next year.  My display area covers about 6 acres. 

Surveillance cameras to catch them.  (Including signage saying you have cameras)  

I'd get some led spot/flood lights and place throughout your display that are on timers to come on after your show goes off leaving the property lit up. Could also add a couple motion  Detection lights as well. 

I have the same problem, my neighbors cut my lights, I suggest getting a night vision camera don't make it obvious that you are trying to catch them. Once you get them bring it up to the police and they will be forced to bay for damage caused to your property, I also suggest having the things they didn't like back on and people always come back so you will catch them, go to gander mountain and get a wireless night vision camera.

Thanks for the info.  We had thought about cameras, but I also like the idea of leaving some flood lights on.  I will definitely be better prepared next year for the thugs!!!

I would install the lights.  These days when you catch people it sometimes makes it worse........................

I had to install cameras, from people vandalizing my Christmas displays to people letting their dog crap in our yard and they not pick it up. It has solved many issues. 

I will be leaving spot lights on next year after the show since it will finally be the debut of it, I'm taking no chances. 

I know it's been a couple months now, but I figure I might as well chime in before next Christmas season starts.

I would do the following if I had a large display:

1) Install flood lights to light up key areas where people might enter the display, or hide in the shadows;

2) Install motion lights in other areas to add more light where necessary;

3) Install a couple cameras.  Some cameras have decent night vision but if the area is lit with flood lamps it will be much clearer an image and you can see farther from the camera.  Also, those motion lights coming on will be sure to trigger cameras.

Some people mentioned using those trail cameras but I worry those are all self-contained and could be stolen without any proof who did it whereas a wireless camera transmitting to a base station inside means the video is kept inside even if the camera is stolen or damaged.  Wired CCTV cameras with a DVR will give the best image and longest recording but those cost more and require more work to install.  However, properly installed cameras can make them all-season security.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for your response.  I am planning to incorporate all of the above in my display this year.  Too bad we have to implement security devices for our light shows.

1 person likes this

German Shepherd I have 11 acres works great.

1 person likes this

S.W., Glock ,Winchester or Springfeild Armory....

2 people like this