Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

PlainfieldDan

A newbe trying to make a Train

I have been a lurker for awhile but I am now in the position to start planning and building a train.  Unfortunately all of the threads are several years old and most of the connections are 404.  I know there are several members who have achieved idol status in this area.  Any help, inspiration, or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

If you PM me your email address I will send you a Power Point presentation I gave at the 2014 Christmas Expo and the last thing we discussed was building a train

I can send it in the morning when my show is not running on the computer

I would love to see it as wel lif that is OK :)

Did any of you make progress towards your train project. I am going to tackle it after the first of the year and was curious if anyone got it done. I am looking at around a 45' oval around my three big pine trees in my front yard.

Would like that presentation as well, Thanks so Much   toyz2@aol.com

Anyone needing pictures of anything for the train let me know and I can email you some

trains are fun and costly.     you should plan on about 500 to 1000.00 to build it   biggest expenses  will be motors  battery  electronics  track.

Bryce Kindla  built the 2nd train on pc  working with Walter monkhouse.  he built his  and can be seen at kindlachristmas.com  or walters  at magicchristmas .com

Bryce and I Built mine  took us 2 years to build it  and then it took me 3 more to make modifications and work out the kinks.  

I ended up going from a 2 rail track to a monorail track.    Charles recently built one  and I would love to see his plans. 

I also have lots of pics  and documents on how I 1st built mine  but I have since redesigned it.  I lightened it a lot
the cool thin about trains are they are your design  and you can be as creative as you want,  

In my opinion   don't use 3/4 inch wood    don't make your cars with steel   make your bases heavy but your Cars body light.    I have designs for steel trucks for a monorail track  design 

I cant post my post my plans the files are too big.  but if you email me at scotmeyers@outlook.com I will email you all that I have     but you will need to know you will need to modify them as there are better ways to do it.

I loved my tria  and ended up selling it to Mark Z during a low time in my life.    I hope to rebuild it in the next couple of year.

dig thru the trains and other movers forums   go back to pages 6-13   there is a lot of stuff on here from when Bryce was helping me build mine  

Charlie E - can you see me the Power Point presentation you gave at the 2014 Christmas Expo and the last thing we discussed was building a train.  I41459@aol.com

thanks,

I sent it to you and will be redoing the presentation later this year to show construction using a little Honda generator instead of a battery, works great and you don't need to charge a battery every day

DSC_0794.MOV

I would like to see your plans  Charles  as I will be rebuilding mine  for the new place that has lots more space

how did you run yours  on a generator   did you power the track?  or is the generator  in the train?

The generator is mounted in the train just over the drive motors and drive wheels so I get the weight over the wheels for traction when I have frost or ice on the track.

Needs to be a little 600 kw Honda generator to work and fit in the train with the exhaust out the back

How noisy is it ?   do you hear it run

If you have any other noise going on in your yard the generator is not noticeable, My train is running next to my movie theater and isn't a distraction to anyone watching the movie, plus the noise the train makes going around the track drowns out what little noise the generator makes.

1 person likes this

Nice 

got a link to where i can find one for the new train