Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Torqumada286

New Laser Control System

I have a friend that owns a company that manufactures lasers.  He decided to whip up a system this year that uses lasers to do some animation that is also linked to some dumb RGB strips.  When the laser changes color, so do the strips.  He plans for the next model to be upgraded to use DMX, but thinks this might be too much of a niche product to market and wants to just keep it for personal use.  I think it has potential  Anyone interested or can see a benefit in this kind of decorating technology?

Torqumada

I saw similar lasers being used for animation at "The Academy" back in 2012 so they have been out for awhile.

it seemed that the refresh of the laser was slow causing flicker.. but if the laser is programmable and cost effective, I could see it being useful in a few separate applications in my world.. 

I have been looking at my display this season thinking "what I really need are lasers."

But all my research shows the systems are way expensive.

Absolutely interested! Also, where does one buy programmable lasers?

I have a friend that owns a company that manufactures lasers.  He decided to whip up a system this year that uses lasers to do some animation that is also linked to some dumb RGB strips.  When the laser changes color, so do the strips.  He plans for the next model to be upgraded to use DMX, but thinks this might be too much of a niche product to market and wants to just keep it for personal use.  I think it has potential  Anyone interested or can see a benefit in this kind of decorating technology?

Torqumada

I've been using lasers for several years now.  I'm getting closer to using them pretty much exclusively.  I'm down to just  a few blow molds and led icicles to compliment them.  I am also using video projection which is quite popular.  I've been using Pangolin Quick Show software which is pretty expensive. (nearly $600.00).  The cost includes the ILDA DAC controller.  Apparently, each projector you buy requires another purchase of the DAC (600.00) to get it to work in concert with the other using seperate cues. The projectors themselves can be as low as around 300.00 a piece if you get cheap ones with slow scanners.  Actually, the one shown in the test video looks like it has pretty fast scanners.  Now I have two animation projectors and using a Y cable to mirror the output.  Quickshow allows timeline editing with music sync.  If I can find something that allows me to do that with an affordable DAC I'm very open!  Here is my display for 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBnD2W-ieds&feature=youtu.be

Torqumada

I've been using lasers for several years now.  I'm getting closer to using them pretty much exclusively.  I'm down to just  a few blow molds and led icicles to compliment them.  I am also using video projection which is quite popular.  I've been using Pangolin Quick Show software which is pretty expensive. (nearly $600.00).  The cost includes the ILDA DAC controller.  Apparently, each projector you buy requires another purchase of the DAC (600.00) to get it to work in concert with the other using seperate cues. The projectors themselves can be as low as around 300.00 a piece if you get cheap ones with slow scanners.  Actually, the one shown in the test video looks like it has pretty fast scanners.  Now I have two animation projectors and using a Y cable to mirror the output.  Quickshow allows timeline editing with music sync.  If I can find something that allows me to do that with an affordable DAC I'm very open!  Here is my display for 2013.

That's very cool but I would be concerned about safety.  How do you protect your eyes and the eyes of everyone viewing the display?

TED

Edited by TED

Is that class 1 or 2 laser? 

That looks like the projections that are shot onto Stone Mountain in Georgia during their laser show at night. You just watch it with your bare eyes with no protection.

Unless they bounce back in your eyes directly as in a mirror, the lasers shown in this video are alright. Lot better looking than what has been popping out this year to light up the sides of houses with just typical glares and bits of lasers, not like a real animation.