Upside Down 3 prong plugs

• Members

With the new rules of installing female receptacles with the ground post opening on the top, has anyone made cords that will fit that and still have the cord hang downward?  I have several new outside outlets that have the female receptacles turned 180 degrees so that the ground post is on the top and the flat openings are below those ground post openings.  If I try to put an extension cord into that new plug, the cord goes upward and won't let the cover close.  

Has anyone else run into this problem?  If so, how did you deal with it?  (Turning the receptacle 180 degrees is not an option).

Thanks!

u8mfJ.jpg

Wisconsin

• Administrators

I thought the electrical code left the orientation of the grounded plug optional?  Some electricians have almost a religious conviction that the ground should be at the top while others think it should be at the bottom.  

I'd look for a new outdoor cover for your plug... one with a bit more space.

• Members

I would assume the electrician who posted this article is up to date on the electrical code when it comes to installing receptacles.  https://ask-the-electrician.com/electrical/electrical-code/electrical-code-outlets.html  It looks like the answer to your problem is to re-orient the position of the ground after checking local codes.  It's pretty simple as long as you remember to turn off the power to that outlet first.  

related

Questions about Electrical Codes for Wiring Outlets

What is the code for the Outlet Ground?

What is the code for 110 vac outlets; should the outlet be positioned with the ground up or the ground down?

Dave’s Answer:
At this time the NEC Code does not specify the orientation of the ground for a 110 vac outlet.
However specific projects may fall within other codes and guidelines.
For Example: Healthcare facilities within the OSHPD jurisdiction in California require that the outlet ground is to be positioned up.

Be sure to check with your local codes, or plan set for the project you are working on to see if there is a clear specification.

I have had some homeowners request ground up for all outlets for a few custom home projects as their personal preference.

Nevada

• Members

Thanks for the information.  I neglected to mention that the issue I'm having is with timers that have stiff cords.  I can turn the plug upside down, but the cord won't bend decently.  I do have large plastic covers on all the outlets.  Can't get them any bigger (I've checked).  

I saw some 360 degree rotatable flat plugs, but they are all for indoor use.  All of my Christmas lights are LEDs so I'm okay there.  But, I hesitate to use something outside that's designated for indoor use.  

Your thoughts???

Wisconsin

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

This house was built in the 60's and we're finding some plugs upside down and some not. It's very annoying to say the least. The outdoor one out back was upside down which was a pain in the butt. We fixed that one. At least the ones out front are the correct way. (in my opinion)

We're slowly fixing the ones inside as we need to.

😏