See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

Ohio light show by Carson Williams is shutdown!!!

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Carson

Carson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:57 AM

All,

As I discussed on the "Today" show and everywhere I talked. One complaint and I would shutdown. An accident happen in the entrance to my subdivision and the police were unable to reach the scene. I have severly inconvienced my neighbors and risked their safety.

I truly apologize to person's who traveled any distance to see the display.

I originally did not want the press, which Steve and Don can confirm. I asked them both to remove my city from their website and postings. I removed the information from my profile on PlanetChristmas. But as with toothpaste you cannot put the toothpaste back in the tube!! So I talked to the press and rode my 15 minutes of fame.

The person's who have lost are the families and friends and their kids who have come to the show for 3 years and have always been courteous and respectful. To those I truly apologize.

Thanks for everyone's support and creativity.

Carson

#2 The West Pole

The West Pole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:31 AM

You portray the true meaning of Christmas and I am proud to respond to you. You and your family are what every neighborhood wishes they had for neighbors, friends or family. I am Ray's wife and he is new to this message board so I will let him express his feelings also but I had to say that I admire you and wish you the very best Christmas ever and a wonderful New Year!! Please don't stop inspiring all of us to show our Christmas spirit by stopping your tradition. We will all watch for more from you...Merry Christmas to you and everyone that you make smile and it appears that there are hundreds of thousands of us!!! Christmas is being replaced by "Holidays" and we all need to speak out to bring Christmas back to all who believe in it and what a tremendous job you have done to make that happen!!

My very best regards to you and yours. I respect you so much!

Karen

http://forums.planet...line=1217032217

Lighting up the Sounds of the Season

#3 Steven Singleton Jr.

Steven Singleton Jr.

One of the old men around here....

• Members
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:41 AM

Just curious, but have you contacted the today show and advised them that the show is over for the year?? Also what about your local papers. I am sure that people would appreciate knowing that the display is off for the season before they waste gas to come see it. Good luck in all you do:)

Hoping to have a great 2012 lighting season!

#4 The West Pole

The West Pole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:47 AM

This is Ray and I just wanted to add thatyou are a"CLASS ACT" Carson , I have been Inspired by your creativity, funny how the media latch on to some things and pass ove other things, Happy holidays, marry Christmas, and Have a great new year.
http://forums.planet...line=1217032217

Lighting up the Sounds of the Season

#5 Naglitch

Naglitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:28 AM

I'mtruly sorry that you have lost out on the enjoyment of having such a great display. Do you have any plans for the future? I mean maybe you could move your display to another location.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Kenny Greer

Kenny Greer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:47 AM

Carson,

While I'm deeply saddened to learn that you have had to unplug for this season, I completely understand. I'm sorry that the situation came up where you had to, and I feel for those who were looking forward to seeing it in the upcoming week.

However, one important thing stands out here. You made a statement about shutting down after one complaint, and you did just that. You are a man of your word, Carson, and that is one thing that is more important than any Christmas light display. You make all of the Christmas lighting community proud.:D

OK, take hands four from the top of the set and pass it on down to the bottom of the hall. Get ready to dance!

#7 Brad Caudill

Brad Caudill

Blowmold God

• Members
  • 7,165 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:16 AM

You are a man of your word but I would not have took it to that extreme. Shut it down for the night or something. I would have come back in a week and turned it back on or something like that after the media fades away,etc. I would atleast turn it back on Christmas week. That is just me and it is your display but to think of all the time and money you put into your display just to end it for the season like that. May have to go the Chuck route and hire an off duty copy to help out with traffic,etc. That is my 2 cents.. bums me out. :)

Official member of the zillion blowmolds club.

http://christmascaro...=4&pictureid=21

#8 MrsLaFournaise

MrsLaFournaise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:34 AM

I wonder if, in a high-traffic display like yours, if it would help to actually shut the show down every 15 minutes or so for a few minutes to flush out the traffic.

Chris

Kerilyn
CaCL State Coordinator
www.californiachristmaslights.com

Save The Date: MAY 23-24 , 2009 for the CaCL 2009 WORKSHOP & EXPO! Register before Oct. 31, 2008 for ONLY $50 !
http://workshop.cali...tmaslights.com/

#9 Brenton Kelley

Brenton Kelley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:39 AM

Carson, whilst I admire your standing by your word, what happened was an accident. I agree with Brad and think you should light up for the next two weeks.
Here in Australia it only gets dark at 9pm and the music must be off by 10pm so you can imagine how busy it gets during that hour. I have had to suffer multitudes of complainits and horrendus traffic over the years. Fortunately the police often help out and I'm yet to know of any accidents in the street.
However, through all the hardships, I remember that people get so much joy and happiness out of a Christmas light show/display. It is a shame to take that away from them after you've put in so much hard work.
Put this accident down to bad luck and keep up your good work!

#10 Steven Singleton Jr.

Steven Singleton Jr.

One of the old men around here....

• Members
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:43 AM

I agree with brad, BUT I admire you. Maybe just turn it on wth NO animation or music. At least others would see a display instead of a dark house.

Hoping to have a great 2012 lighting season!

#11 NateT

NateT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:00 AM

That's a shame Carson...but, I also admire you as a man of your word. You did what you'd say you'd do. Good man.

However, it's a shame that you won't be showing your lights anymore...maybe you could turn them on, and leave the music? No flashing and take down the sign for the FM station.

Tis what I'd do. You're video brought me here, and I'm happy to have found such a great community of enthusiasts.

#12 tfischer

tfischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:50 AM

Carson,

Very sorry that you're shutting down, but I do understand. Hope to see you back lit up next year, or maybe even late this season after the hoopla has died off.

-Tim

Tim Fischer
http://www.plymouthlights.com
Visit and Join the Christmas Lights Webring: http://lightwebring.fischersplace.com
Need a webhost? Great hosting starting at $3.99/mo!

#13 carterhawk

carterhawk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:09 AM

no one was hurt right? good :D
so, high res of the video? its all anyone has now...

Posted Image

#14 Sherry

Sherry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:28 AM

I'm sorry you had to shut it down. You truly are a class act.
Your video is how I found this board and introduced me to the LOR controllers. I plan on purchasing 1 or 2 (or more) myself within the next couple years.
Hopefully once things have calmed down it will be safe for you to do your show again.

#15 Jerry Plak

Jerry Plak

Ho Ho Ho Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:32 AM

Carson,

While I'm also deeply saddened to learn that you have had to unplug for this season, I completely understand. I'm sorry that the situation came up where you had to, and I feel for those who were looking forward to seeing it in the upcoming week.

After watching the "Today" show you and your family did very well with press.

However, one important thing stands out here. You made a statement about shutting down after one complaint, and you did just that. You are a man of your word, Carson, and that is one thing that is more important than any Christmas light display. You make all of the Christmas lighting community proud.

Good luck in all you do

PS: let be the first to invite you and your family to come to PLUS-2007

Jerry:snowman:

#16 Scott Loftus

Scott Loftus

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:.

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:06 AM

Carson:

Your display was a true work of art and I am also sorry to hear that the show is over. It took alot of guts to make that desicion and we all respect your word. Hopefully things will slow down and you can maybe turn the show on only during Friday and Saturday night for 2 hours each night. But as Steve said, I would let the press know that the lights are off.

Good luck and happy holidays.

#17 Joe4x4

Joe4x4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:24 AM

Just a thought ,...things happen for a reason. Why this happen to you? Why did the accident happen? Would the accident happen anyway ? The accidentmaybe it stopped-another accident from happen that was 10 fold worse than the first fender bender?

I think that it was ment for you to inspire ALOT of people to Christmas. I think that it is safe to say over 1 million people have seen your clip from the Internet and the TV coverage,...Yes your display is down ,..but I would sneak it now and then if someone came to the door. but that is up to you. Your display will still be playing on other Planet Christmas displays,...so it still lives !

I`ll be playing it as soon as I get finished ,..yup still putting out lights ,...gotta finish the roof 2nd floor roof finished now the garage roof ,..10,000 ea.

again Carson great job.

Joe4x4

#18 SamSwashbuckler

SamSwashbuckler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:25 AM

That's too bad, Carson. Hopefully you won't have QUITE so much exposure next year. What about all of us bums on the internet that don't live near Ohio, are we gonna see a video any time soon? Your 2004 display was spectacular! :D

#19 Mags_Graphics

Mags_Graphics

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:52 PM

Williams Family:

:(Bummer!! Totally understand having to close the show (maybe just for a while instead of permanently?), but it's still a bummer!

Now I know your subdivision... the accident was at the entrance and the police couldn't get to it?? Traffic to your house was that backed up?? Wow! :shock:

Don't blame yourself for the accident - you know the people in this town can't drive worth a lick in any type of inclement weather... one flake of snow shuts down 5 schools!! (I can say this, I've lived here my whole life!!). Maybe you can reopen next week when the hoopla dies down.. then the regular visitors (like me!!) can get in another visit! :]

Thanks for an awesome display - we love your show and your enthusiasm for Christmas!!

:smilingelf:Maggie Buckley

#20 scubadoo2

scubadoo2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:45 PM

Carson,

Sorry to hear you had to shut down the show. I hope your effortswill continue to inspire many more Christmas light shows as you and many others on Planet Christmas have done for me. Although I live about 400 miles away, I was going to try to visit your display over the Holidays while visiting friends in Pittsburgh.

Please keep up the wondeful work...and thanks for the inspiration.

DougK

:happytree:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users