Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums
Register now to gain access to all of the PlanetChristmas forums. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This ugly looking message disappears once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ohio light show by Carson Williams is shutdown!!!

64 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

All,

As I discussed on the "Today" show and everywhere I talked. One complaint and I would shutdown. An accident happen in the entrance to my subdivision and the police were unable to reach the scene. I have severly inconvienced my neighbors and risked their safety.

I truly apologize to person's who traveled any distance to see the display.

I originally did not want the press, which Steve and Don can confirm. I asked them both to remove my city from their website and postings. I removed the information from my profile on PlanetChristmas. But as with toothpaste you cannot put the toothpaste back in the tube!! So I talked to the press and rode my 15 minutes of fame.

The person's who have lost are the families and friends and their kids who have come to the show for 3 years and have always been courteous and respectful. To those I truly apologize.

Thanks for everyone's support and creativity.

Carson

Posted · Report post

You portray the true meaning of Christmas and I am proud to respond to you. You and your family are what every neighborhood wishes they had for neighbors, friends or family. I am Ray's wife and he is new to this message board so I will let him express his feelings also but I had to say that I admire you and wish you the very best Christmas ever and a wonderful New Year!! Please don't stop inspiring all of us to show our Christmas spirit by stopping your tradition. We will all watch for more from you...Merry Christmas to you and everyone that you make smile and it appears that there are hundreds of thousands of us!!! Christmas is being replaced by "Holidays" and we all need to speak out to bring Christmas back to all who believe in it and what a tremendous job you have done to make that happen!!

My very best regards to you and yours. I respect you so much!

Karen

Posted · Report post

Just curious, but have you contacted the today show and advised them that the show is over for the year?? Also what about your local papers. I am sure that people would appreciate knowing that the display is off for the season before they waste gas to come see it. Good luck in all you do:)

Posted · Report post

This is Ray and I just wanted to add thatyou are a"CLASS ACT" Carson , I have been Inspired by your creativity, funny how the media latch on to some things and pass ove other things, Happy holidays, marry Christmas, and Have a great new year.

Posted · Report post

I'mtruly sorry that you have lost out on the enjoyment of having such a great display. Do you have any plans for the future? I mean maybe you could move your display to another location.

Posted · Report post

Carson,

While I'm deeply saddened to learn that you have had to unplug for this season, I completely understand. I'm sorry that the situation came up where you had to, and I feel for those who were looking forward to seeing it in the upcoming week.

However, one important thing stands out here. You made a statement about shutting down after one complaint, and you did just that. You are a man of your word, Carson, and that is one thing that is more important than any Christmas light display. You make all of the Christmas lighting community proud.:D

Posted · Report post

You are a man of your word but I would not have took it to that extreme. Shut it down for the night or something. I would have come back in a week and turned it back on or something like that after the media fades away,etc. I would atleast turn it back on Christmas week. That is just me and it is your display but to think of all the time and money you put into your display just to end it for the season like that. May have to go the Chuck route and hire an off duty copy to help out with traffic,etc. That is my 2 cents.. bums me out. :)

Posted · Report post

I wonder if, in a high-traffic display like yours, if it would help to actually shut the show down every 15 minutes or so for a few minutes to flush out the traffic.

Chris

Posted · Report post

Carson, whilst I admire your standing by your word, what happened was an accident. I agree with Brad and think you should light up for the next two weeks.

Here in Australia it only gets dark at 9pm and the music must be off by 10pm so you can imagine how busy it gets during that hour. I have had to suffer multitudes of complainits and horrendus traffic over the years. Fortunately the police often help out and I'm yet to know of any accidents in the street.

However, through all the hardships, I remember that people get so much joy and happiness out of a Christmas light show/display. It is a shame to take that away from them after you've put in so much hard work.

Put this accident down to bad luck and keep up your good work!

Posted · Report post

I agree with brad, BUT I admire you. Maybe just turn it on wth NO animation or music. At least others would see a display instead of a dark house.

Posted · Report post

That's a shame Carson...but, I also admire you as a man of your word. You did what you'd say you'd do. Good man.

However, it's a shame that you won't be showing your lights anymore...maybe you could turn them on, and leave the music? No flashing and take down the sign for the FM station.

Tis what I'd do. You're video brought me here, and I'm happy to have found such a great community of enthusiasts.

Posted · Report post

Carson,

Very sorry that you're shutting down, but I do understand. Hope to see you back lit up next year, or maybe even late this season after the hoopla has died off.

-Tim

Posted · Report post

no one was hurt right? good :D

so, high res of the video? its all anyone has now...

Posted · Report post

I'm sorry you had to shut it down. You truly are a class act.

Your video is how I found this board and introduced me to the LOR controllers. I plan on purchasing 1 or 2 (or more) myself within the next couple years.

Hopefully once things have calmed down it will be safe for you to do your show again.

Posted · Report post

Carson,

While I'm also deeply saddened to learn that you have had to unplug for this season, I completely understand. I'm sorry that the situation came up where you had to, and I feel for those who were looking forward to seeing it in the upcoming week.

After watching the "Today" show you and your family did very well with press.

However, one important thing stands out here. You made a statement about shutting down after one complaint, and you did just that. You are a man of your word, Carson, and that is one thing that is more important than any Christmas light display. You make all of the Christmas lighting community proud.

Good luck in all you do

PS: let be the first to invite you and your family to come to PLUS-2007

Jerry:snowman:

Posted · Report post

Carson:

Your display was a true work of art and I am also sorry to hear that the show is over. It took alot of guts to make that desicion and we all respect your word. Hopefully things will slow down and you can maybe turn the show on only during Friday and Saturday night for 2 hours each night. But as Steve said, I would let the press know that the lights are off.

Good luck and happy holidays.

Posted · Report post

Just a thought ,...things happen for a reason. Why this happen to you? Why did the accident happen? Would the accident happen anyway ? The accidentmaybe it stopped-another accident from happen that was 10 fold worse than the first fender bender?

I think that it was ment for you to inspire ALOT of people to Christmas. I think that it is safe to say over 1 million people have seen your clip from the Internet and the TV coverage,...Yes your display is down ,..but I would sneak it now and then if someone came to the door. but that is up to you. Your display will still be playing on other Planet Christmas displays,...so it still lives !

I`ll be playing it as soon as I get finished ,..yup still putting out lights ,...gotta finish the roof 2nd floor roof finished now the garage roof ,..10,000 ea.

again Carson great job.

Joe4x4

Posted · Report post

That's too bad, Carson. Hopefully you won't have QUITE so much exposure next year. What about all of us bums on the internet that don't live near Ohio, are we gonna see a video any time soon? Your 2004 display was spectacular! :D

Posted · Report post

Williams Family:

:(Bummer!! Totally understand having to close the show (maybe just for a while instead of permanently?), but it's still a bummer!

Now I know your subdivision... the accident was at the entrance and the police couldn't get to it?? Traffic to your house was that backed up?? Wow! :shock:

Don't blame yourself for the accident - you know the people in this town can't drive worth a lick in any type of inclement weather... one flake of snow shuts down 5 schools!! (I can say this, I've lived here my whole life!!). Maybe you can reopen next week when the hoopla dies down.. then the regular visitors (like me!!) can get in another visit! :]

Thanks for an awesome display - we love your show and your enthusiasm for Christmas!!

:smilingelf:Maggie Buckley

Posted · Report post

Carson,

Sorry to hear you had to shut down the show. I hope your effortswill continue to inspire many more Christmas light shows as you and many others on Planet Christmas have done for me. Although I live about 400 miles away, I was going to try to visit your display over the Holidays while visiting friends in Pittsburgh.

Please keep up the wondeful work...and thanks for the inspiration.

DougK

:happytree:

Posted · Report post

Carson, are you still working on getting a higher-quality version of the video? I think many of us out here would love to see a higher-res video of your entire show! Even though you had to shut down your show it could still go on through the internet! :happytree:

Thanks,

Dan in South Dakota

Posted · Report post

Carson,

You are a class act. I commend you for making your neighbor's happiness and the safety of others your top priority. Unfortunately, in this reality TV age, there are some people that would have placed their 15 minutes of fame above the concerns of others. Kudos to you for keeping the meaning of being a good neighbor & citizen, and the spirit of Christmas as a top priority. And double kudos for being a man of your word.

I see you are getting a lot of suggestions on what to do next. If I may offer my 2 cents... Perhaps you could look at getting a professional video recorded of the different songs you have done, put it on DVD's, and then sell them. This would allow others to enjoy your display, but prevent the traffic issues. You could even have some of the proceeds go to charity. Obviously all that would take some work, and that may end up turning your hobby into to much hassle.

Good luck to you, and I hope that next year you will be able to silently turn your display back on, and that without all the media hype, you, your family, and your neighbors will be able to enjoy the show.

Best Regards and a Very Merry Christmas to you, :tree:

Mark

Posted · Report post

I don't think just turning the display back on is a good idea. The press could blast him for going back on his word. However, if there is such an outpouring of support from his neighbors or the community, he could make an announcement about that to show that he does listen to concerns and still turn the lights back on.

Scaling back the show might not work either. Since "everyone" has seen the video, those that drive by will want to wait to see that particular part of the show. If that show only runs once an hour, the traffic will get worse in anticipation.

It appears Carson isn't making any snap judgements about resuming the display, and I respect him for that. Give it some time for the media gorilla to die down, and then re-evaluate whether the show is better on or off this year.

Thanks Carson for all you've done for the Planet Christmascommunity, and I hope you're able to participate in the future.

Posted · Report post

Firstly, I admire what you are doing to keep peace with the neighbors. But, what I am hoping is that your neighbors join together and ask you to turn your lights back on. Kind of like bring out the rally monkey for Carson Williams’ Christmas display. LOL. Maybe we can make a movie out of this? Yeh!

Our Three Rules

At PlanetChristmas we are always positive, family friendly and Christmas-centric.

Lots More Information

What Drives Over-The-Top Christmas Decorators?

It is all about making lifelong memories and family traditions.