See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

rarest blowmold

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 stonbri

stonbri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:XMAS STORY

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:24 AM

does anyonehave an opinion ofwhat is the most rarest of the rarest blowmold out there, i've seen some on this site that are considered rare which i agree. the rarest i've seen yet is the father christmas. just curious
Brian

#2 jen grissett

jen grissett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:22 PM

I would have to say that IMHO the rarest would be the borse santa and snowman...it was only recenlty that these were found to even be in existence and I have only saw one of each that sold on EBAY...these were both sold by the same seller...

Kwhipple38....these are the only 2 I and a few other hardcore molders have saw...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jen....

#3 TED

TED

Cool member

• Members
  • 7,029 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:28 PM

jen grissett wrote:

Kwhipple38....these are the only 2 I and a few other hardcore molders have saw...

We should ask Whipple if he/she has any information on where they came from. What do you think is next? I'm guessing that the clown snowman might come in near the top of the list. Some of the choir singers might be more rare.

TED

#4 jen grissett

jen grissett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:57 PM

Few more rare that I can think of would be...

the TPI patriotic molds that were sold as proto-types...only very few of those

father christmas

poloron fawn..not scene too often

poloron african american choir boy...

a few that are the only ones I have ever saw...

dapol oillamp(mel owns this)

beco trees

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jen....

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:31 PM

I am going to have to say the rarest blow mold is the Poloron Mechanical Waving and Rotating Santa. He is just awesome.:cool:

Attached Files

#6 Brad Caudill

Brad Caudill

Blowmold God

• Members
  • 7,165 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:53 PM

nope this one is...

Attached Files

Official member of the zillion blowmolds club.

http://christmascaro...=4&pictureid=21

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

Nah, I don't think so at all.

#8 stonbri

stonbri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:XMAS STORY

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:23 PM

lotta of opinions, it's hard to sayi think it's a tossup between empire father christmas and the poloron mechanical santa. Only reason why i say this it because these are so off the charts with imagination , creativity . Pure facination. I wish i had both, i only have one of the father christmas, it's from union
Brian

#9 nymark313

nymark313

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:47 AM

I really think there areseveral blowmolds from different manufacturersthat can be considered "rare".

Out of all the blowmolds I have, I think my rarer ones are the Union Santa and Gingerbread Stars, the caseChristmas Dolls, and my TPI Choir people, along with several items from Empire

Mark

#10 Glenview LIghts

Glenview LIghts

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 11,177 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:///

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:55 PM

I would agree with Jen, what came to my mind first wasthe Borse Plastics Santa and Snowman followed by the DapolHurricane Lamps, those three are virtually impossible to find. I've been ebaying for years, and it was only recently that Borse was "discovered".

Another one that is rare is the Trick or Treat block, I've personally never seen one come up for auction and I haven't come across any in yard, garage, or estate sales(doesn't mean they haven't--but I have not found one).

The rotating Poloron Santa is "rare" on eBay, but there are many displays in the Chicago area that have it as well as thisSnowman--thousands of these were available, I just don't think they are sold that oftenon eBay due to their size.

So what I'm wondering is, are our perceptions of what is "rare" being influenced by what is available on eBay? And when you think about it, distribution ofcertain molds to differing regions of the country over the years would also effect what is "rare." It would be fun to discuss and explore this--

Menards is in the midwest, people in the South don't have the opportunity to purchase the exclusives that they have offered. Those exclusives are by no means "rare" here, but they would be in Alabama for instance. When a Menard's exclusive pops up on eBay, it may be considered "rare" by collectorsoutside of the Midwest. That is just one example of what I'm thinking about.

Sears, JC Penney, Eaton's, etc. were national retailers selling blow molds through catalogue sales and at retail.I don't have sales figures, but I would imagine that thousands and thousands of various molds were sold over the years. Thousandsare stillout there right now. But I doknowthat in my area, Chicago, people tend to hang on to their blow molds and when they do sell them, its more oftenby way of a garage or yard sale.

My point? What is the truedefinition of rare? Rare in general, due to age or number manufactured, rare by regional differences, or rare because we don't see them on eBay?

I don't want anyone here to think I'm being contrary, just doing some thinking out loud, food for thought. :D

Attached Files

Carrie Sansing
The Original Blow Mold Bohemian
www.holidayuniversity.com
www.constantlychristmas.com

#11 Glenview LIghts

Glenview LIghts

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 11,177 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:57 PM

Trick or Treat block.

Attached Files

Carrie Sansing

#12 jen grissett

jen grissett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:20 PM

Total agreement here....:D

Just because it doesn't cycle through EBAY often does not make it rare...just like with the borse...those 2 are "the" only ones we have saw...as opposed to some of the others we consider to be "rare"...like certain choir peeps and poloron pieces like the fawn....

They may be rare to be seen on EBAY...but not realy that rare in existance as several collectors have them ...but they could also be upgraded to rare due to their condition...like a mint in the box item...

I too have never saw the trick or treat block...would love to come across one of those...

Jen....

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:42 PM

Well let me describe the rare blow molds this way. No blow mold is rare until 100 years old as I have been told this byall thelocal antique dealers. So we really can't say they are rare at all because all of these blow molds listed here are still around. This should sum this up very carefully.

#14 Glenview LIghts

Glenview LIghts

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 11,177 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:58 PM

Thomas, with all due respect to you, theusage of the word antiquein terms of resale of household objects, furniture, or works of art is 100 years (I have talked to representatives of Sotheby's International Auction Houseand Christie's Auctions both firms having offices in Chicago, New York, Paris, and London--these world reknowned companies both use 100 years as their standardin respect to what is considered to be a true"antique").

Blow molds have not been around for 100 years, so the standard of 100 years cannot be applied, they are certainly not true antiques.But within the collecting community rarity is definately a factor.

The age of something can contribute to its overall rarity due to simple attrition over time (damage and destruction, people throwing them "away" etc.), but the age of an itemitself does not automatically make something rare. For example, there are literally countless thousandsof Native American arrow heads available that are over 100 years old, they are antiques, but they are common and not rare.

Carrie Sansing

#15 crazy4holidays

crazy4holidays

Blowmolder

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:32 AM

Rarity is in the eye of the beholder. If you can't find one, it is rare.

But if you can find it, it is not rare.

I remember someone found a Poloron fawn at a yard sale. To that person the fawn is not rare. But to Jen, who can't find one for the life of her, it is rare.
~TJ

#16 crazy4holidays

crazy4holidays

Blowmolder

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:34 AM

To me, the Empire Derby Hat snowman was rare, because i couldn't find one. To Thomas Stiener it is not rare at all. And to Brad he told me he found on at a yard sale for a dollor. Not rare to them, but to me he was rare. ( I have found one).
~TJ

#17 TammyL

TammyL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:hmmm.... my favorite time of the year.

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:15 AM

Thomas Steiner wrote:

I am going to have to say the rarest blow mold is the Poloron Mechanical Waving and Rotating Santa. He is just awesome.:cool:

I have this same mechanical waving and rotating santa and last year I repainted it and it looks great during the day, but at night when lit the old paint job show through and does not look the greatest. Can anyone tell me what to do to fix this problem?
Tammy

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:02 AM

TammyL wrote:

Thomas Steiner wrote:

I have this same mechanical waving and rotating santa and last year I repainted it and it looks great during the day, but at night when lit the old paint job show through and does not look the greatest. Can anyone tell me what to do to fix this problem?

Tammy,

Here ya go! just follow Carrie's paint advise and you will do just great on your paint project. Hope this helps.

http://www.christmas...ntblowmolds.htm

#19 TammyL

TammyL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:hmmm.... my favorite time of the year.

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:10 AM

Thanks Thomas, this is just what I needed!:waycool:
Tammy

#20 Matthew Peterman

Matthew Peterman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:34 PM

I don't know how rare these are but there from the 60's and these are the only ones I've seen. They are union soldiers.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users