Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mel Fischer

Another day on the assembly line

Another day on the assembly line at Union Products in July 1998.

Mel

Chicago%20Tribune%201998-07-31%20Flaming

Indianapolis%20Star%201998-07-25%20Flami

6 people like this

Happy new year Mel, I LOVE flamingos,  I think everyone should have them!! I wonder how many Lillian has painted and if she has painted some of the ones we have. Cool Ad Mel

I don't know how many she painted but during those years Union Products produced and sold approximately 250,000 pair a year.

Mel

Does UP still sell the flamingos?

Yes, Cado/UP has them in pink, Caribbean blue and purple, we have a pair of each, I have only taken pictures of the pink ones at this time.  Of course they also make the Zombie flamingos but they are from different molds.  The pink Cado ones are shown here.

http://blow-molded.com/Cado___Lawn_%26_Garden.html

Mel

Mel that is an excellent post.  I would love to see if you have any other pictures of blow molds being made.  It is so interesting!  :-)

Here are a couple that I posted a year or two ago.  These are a bit more detailed and in color.  They are of the large UP Realmingo.

Mel

The Featherstone Flamingo, as seen when it comes out of the mold.

Cado-Union%20Products%20Flamingos.jpg

Factory worker punches the Featherstone flamingo out of the plastic molding after it comes out of the machinery.

Cado-Union%20Products%20Flamingos%2004.j

Edited by Mel Fischer
1 person likes this

Very cool Mel!!! Thanks for posting, I always like your threads.

I have 2 whole flocks of flamingos , then some smaller ones, in my yard, maybe between 30-40 so its nice to see how they're made.

16 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

Does UP still sell the flamingos?

I saw some of the Cado/Union flamingos for sale Saturday (1/21) at Hobby Lobby.  They were $19.99.  (Hobby Lobby has a coupon every week for 40% off any one item.)

TED

I guess I should check Hobby Lobby here they haven't had any blow molds in the past.  Did they only have the pink ones or did they have the Caribbean blue and purple ones also?

Mel

I got one of those flamingos at lowes hardware 2 years ago. 

I didn't look for blowmolds specifically Mel, but ours doesn't have blowmolds from what I seen. There christmas stuff was alot of indoor stuff, not the outdoor so much. 

Home Depot online is the place to get them, you can get 2,10,15,24 or 50! Pink or black, but no blue

The Flamingos at Home Depot are not the Cado/Union Product ones they were made by someone else.

Mel

14 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

I guess I should check Hobby Lobby here they haven't had any blow molds in the past.  Did they only have the pink ones or did they have the Caribbean blue and purple ones also?

Mel

I only saw pink the pink ones.  I only saw 4 sets so it doesn't appear that they have very many.  They were in with the new Spring merchandise.  It looked to me like the Spring merchandise had just been put out recently.  They were on a table on one of the main aisles.  It's possible that they had more in some other location.  I didn't see any more but I did not search the whole store.

I got a set of the blue ones a couple years ago at At Home (Garden Ridge).  Garden Ridge is just starting to stock their Spring items.

9 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

I didn't look for blowmolds specifically Mel, but ours doesn't have blowmolds from what I seen. There christmas stuff was alot of indoor stuff, not the outdoor so much. 

The flamingos were with the Spring merchandise (not Christmas) which appeared to have just been put out.  I haven't ever seen holiday blowmolds at Hobby Lobby (but I've heard others say that they had them in the distant past).  I wouldn't assume that they won't have the flamingos just because they didn't have Christmas 'molds.  I'd be willing to bet that all the stores will have the flamingos.

TED

Any idea where to find the purple ones?  I bought the pink ones from Lowes a few years ago.

Janine

I found a good deal on the purple ones on Amazon last year I think they were about $20 with free shipping at the time.  I don't see any on Amazon now, I only buy the Union Products ones, either the original Union Products or the new Cado ones.  I still need to find a set of the Union Products/Faster Form ones yet.

Mel

Mel, I as well have a pair of the Blue flamingos that came from Garden Ridge/At Home a couple years ago.
Should also note the flamingos Lowe's sells is not Cado/UP ones. Unless things changed because the set I bought from there a couple years back are not them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/21/2017 at 4:09 PM, Mel Fischer said:

I don't know how many she painted but during those years Union Products produced and sold approximately 250,000 pair a year.

Mel

It must have been an odd conversation whenever someone asked what her job was.  "I paint flamingo beaks."  :D

TED

Anyone can visit there local trailer park,KOA, or campsite and see a plethora of flamingos,all colors,including plastic flowers and owl lights lolol:rolleyes:

1 person likes this

There used to be a video of it on the web

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A video of what? The flamingos being made?

Edited by Big J Illinois

found these guys on clearance at a ROSS nearby and thought of this post, $8.99 

20170128_130213.jpg

1 person likes this