Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JeffCarter

GE D28 Commercial C9 lamps

36 posts in this topic

I've been a GE Lighting collector for years and I've just discover something new. A friend of mine was refurbishing some old municipal decorations and found GE D28 C9's in some of the sockets. I have never seen a D28 before. The consumer version was a D15 Merry Bright. I checked with another friend of mine who worked at GE's NELA Park during the 60's and said these were some GE made for commercial decorators who liked the transparent colors but the sometimes rough service of a municipal decoration would cause the color to crack and peel. The D28's had a coating of Lexan to protect the color. They were also made with a brass base whereas the consumer line was aluminum/nickle. If you come across any of these while refurbishing a municipal decoration and don't want them, let me know. I would even be interested in burned out ones if the have the GE logo and "D28" stamp.

GE-D28-D15-key-points.jpg

Edited by JeffCarter
3 people like this

I never knew that Jeff. In 2016, during the summer, I was at some garage sales and seen a tub ( large apple basket ) FULL for 5 dollars of the brass ones, and they where the large base (C9) version. I passed them up not knowing what they where, had I known, I would have bought them and sold them....cheap...not knowing what they really where.  :huh:

Edited by Big J Illinois

Very cool information, Jeff.  I will always be a huge fan of the old GE C9's and C7's that had the paint on the inside of the bulb.  These were the only Christmas bulbs my Grandparents and parents would buy, back in the day.  They liked them because the paint never flaked off, so you only replaced them if the got broke or burned out.  Man, how I wish they still made those bulbs.  I still have some of these style bulbs and keep them safe.  They work but I would never use them.

2 hours ago, Allen L. said:

Very cool information, Jeff.  I will always be a huge fan of the old GE C9's and C7's that had the paint on the inside of the bulb.  These were the only Christmas bulbs my Grandparents and parents would buy, back in the day.  They liked them because the paint never flaked off, so you only replaced them if the got broke or burned out.  Man, how I wish they still made those bulbs.  I still have some of these style bulbs and keep them safe.  They work but I would never use them.

I found a stash of replacements several years ago and still use them on a tree in the yard. There is nothing that comes close to matching those colors.

2014 Christmas yard 053.JPG

IMG_4447.JPG

IMG_1305.JPG

Edited by JeffCarter
2 people like this

8 hours ago, JeffCarter said:

I found a stash of replacements several years ago and still use them on a tree in the yard. There is nothing that comes close to matching those colors.

WOW!!!!  Those are beautiful, Jeff!  Ah....sweet memories. There is just something about them that brings peace and happiness inside me.  I would love to use mine, but I worry about burning them out in the future and not being able to find more replacements.  The C9's and C7's I use today are purchased from a Commercial/Municipal Christmas Decorating Company.  I pay a higher price for them but they last a long time and the coating of paint is thicker.  You have to buy them by the case. They are the only bulbs that I have found that even come close to the old GE's in color and longevity.  When I get home from work today, I'll get the name of the Company for you.  I love my vintage C9's and the Classic Christmas decorations.  Here are pictures of the C9's I purchased.

12310571_1227162463963990_8860491753857201907_n.jpg

12342682_1227162567297313_3010935855670034148_n.jpg

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Allen L. said:

WOW!!!!  Those are beautiful, Jeff!  Ah....sweet memories. There is just something about them that brings peace and happiness inside me.  I would love to use mine, but I worry about burning them out in the future and not being able to find more replacements.  The C9's and C7's I use today are purchased from a Commercial/Municipal Christmas Decorating Company.  I pay a higher price for them but they last a long time and the coating of paint is thicker.  You have to buy them by the case. They are the only bulbs that I have found that even come close to the old GE's in color and longevity.  When I get home from work today, I'll get the name of the Company for you.  I love my vintage C9's and the Classic Christmas decorations.  Here are pictures of the C9's I purchased.

12310571_1227162463963990_8860491753857201907_n.jpg

12342682_1227162567297313_3010935855670034148_n.jpg

Are those bell fiberglass or plastic?

You know there's someone around me thats been trying to get rid of a bunch of old, when i mean old i talking the old black and red twisted wire with the sockets on it, bulbs and strands. Not sure if the work but i assume ppl on here would still like to have them

7 hours ago, JeffCarter said:

Are those bell fiberglass or plastic?

They are plastic from 1965.  Once hung in Dunnavant's Mall located in Huntsville, Alabama.  The old mall was purchased many years ago and turned into a Medical Facility.

Here is the wire and twist on sockets that came with the 1965 bells.  The original large green plastic garland deteriorated and I replaced it with cheap pine garland.

10.JPG

8.JPG

Valley Display 1960s Angle Cut Garland 2.jpg

Edited by Allen L.
3 people like this

6 hours ago, drkness said:

You know there's someone around me thats been trying to get rid of a bunch of old, when i mean old i talking the old black and red twisted wire with the sockets on it, bulbs and strands. Not sure if the work but i assume ppl on here would still like to have them

Yes we would.

10 minutes ago, Allen L. said:

They are plastic from 1965.  Once hung in Dunnavant's Mall located in Huntsville, Alabama.  The old mall was purchased many years ago and turned into a Medical Facility.

I've got some fiberglass ones that were used in the Chicago area in the 50's and 60's. God added the ice...

IMG_6353.JPG

IMG_6355.JPG

IMG_6366.JPG

3 people like this

You can still buy these twist on style sockets and wire online.

C7 & C9 Twist On Bakelite Sockets was used by Valley Display.png

Twist Gage wire for Bakelite Sockets.jpg

24 minutes ago, Allen L. said:

Here is the wire and twist on sockets that came with the 1965 bells.  The original large green plastic garland deteriorated and I replaced it with cheap pine garland.

10.JPG

8.JPG

Valley Display 1960s Angle Cut Garland 2.jpg

Those sockets are some of the best!

8 minutes ago, Allen L. said:

You can still buy these twist on style sockets and wire online.

C7 & C9 Twist On Bakelite Sockets was used by Valley Display.png

Twist Gage wire for Bakelite Sockets.jpg

One of the best prices I've found... https://www.grandbrass.com/item/so974/lamp_sockets-e_26_medium_base-sign_and_carnival_sockets/

4 people like this

48 minutes ago, JeffCarter said:

I've got some fiberglass ones that were used in the Chicago area in the 50's and 60's. God added the ice...

Those are beautiful, Jeff!  God did an awesome job adding the ice! :)

Jeff, I saw the conversation on FB about the d-18, and someone mentioned that the Canadian GE also produced some Lexan coated bulbs, but since they were for consumers did they use brass or aluminum on those? I would love to see some of them as it appears that they had a really rich color.

Allen, I really love the bells and garlands. I love the municipal type decorations, this year I put my Municipal pole mount out on the utility pole in forn tof my house, should have taken a picture of it. got lots of compliments form friends and neighbors. I was afraid the utility might come and ask me to take it down, but being an EMC they let us have some ownership of the infrastructure, I saw them drive down my road a couple times and they never said boo about it!

2 people like this

On 1/17/2017 at 7:37 PM, Allen L. said:

My favorite bulbs are the interior paint C9 bulbs with the flame pattern in the glass.  (The interior paint smooth glass would be a close second.)  I really have no qualms about using them.  I used to use the big box store C9s but the quality kept getting worse and worse to the point that i just couldn't keep up with replacing all the burned out bulbs.  One year I swapped out the bulbs on the front of the house with interior paint C9 flame bulbs.  (I left the discount store bulbs on the sides.)  Only ONE of the old bulbs burned out while more than I could count of the walmart bulbs burned out.  The next year I ordered bulbs from Action Lighting which reduced the failures substantially.  I haven't used the old bulbs since then but now the A.L. bulbs are starting to burn out.  Maybe I'll get the old bulbs out again.  It really says something about quality when 40 year old used bulbs scavenged from yard sales and eBay are more reliable and last longer than new bulbs!  I really wouldn't hesitate to use your old C9s.  You might lose one or two per year but on the whole they will last for years and years.  Whenever I find a crummy looking old set at a yard sale or Estate sale that has the old C9s it is almost always the case that most or all of them work.

On a slightly different note, a lot of the old C9 bulbs were made with the interior paint but interior paint C7 bulbs are much more scarce.  I suppose that might be because C7s tended to be used more inside on Christmas trees while C9s were used almost exclusively outside.  I certainly agree with you (Allen) that I wish they still made the interior paint C9 bulbs.  It's virtually impossible for me to put up the C9s at my Parent's house without scratching some of the bulbs on the shingles.

TED

P.S.  Allen I see that you also don't use any white bulbs in your C9s.  It sure makes the colors zing when there are no white bulbs overpowering the color!

Edited by TED
to find those old bulbs!
1 person likes this

6 hours ago, TED said:

My favorite bulbs are the interior paint C9 bulbs with the flame pattern in the glass.  (The interior paint smooth glass would be a close second.)  I really have no qualms about using them.  I used to use the big box store C9s but the quality kept getting worse and worse to the point that i just couldn't keep up with replacing all the burned out bulbs.  One year I swapped out the bulbs on the front of the house with interior paint C9 flame bulbs.  (I left the discount store bulbs on the sides.)  Only ONE of the old bulbs burned out while more than I could count of the walmart bulbs burned out.  The next year I ordered bulbs from Action Lighting which reduced the failures substantially.  I haven't used the old bulbs since then but now the A.L. bulbs are starting to burn out.  Maybe I'll get the old bulbs out again.  It really says something about quality when 40 year old used bulbs scavenged from yard sales and eBay are more reliable and last longer than new bulbs!  I really wouldn't hesitate to use your old C9s.  You might lose one or two per year but on the whole they will last for years and years.  Whenever I find a crummy looking old set at a yard sale or Estate sale that has the old C9s it is almost always the case that most or all of them work.

On a slightly different note, a lot of the old C9 bulbs were made with the interior paint but interior paint C7 bulbs are much more scarce.  I suppose that might be because C7s tended to be used more inside on Christmas trees while C9s were used almost exclusively outside.  I certainly agree with you (Allen) that I wish they still made the interior paint C9 bulbs.  It's virtually impossible for me to put up the C9s at my Parent's house without scratching some of the bulbs on the shingles.

TED

P.S.  Allen I see that you also don't use any white bulbs in your C9s.  It sure makes the colors zing when there are no white bulbs overpowering the color!

I love those flame pattern C9 bulbs too, Ted.  You are right, the bulbs at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Kmart, etc... are garbage and a waste of money.  I buy my C9's and C7's from a Commercial/Municipal Christmas Decorating Company called "Display Sales".  The C9 light bulbs you saw on my house are 6 years old and I have only replaced one bulb that I broke.  The C9's at Display Sales have a life of 3000 hours.

6 hours a day for 31 days = 186 hours per Christmas Season, so these bulbs should last approx. 16 years but if I get 10 years I'll be happy.  You should buy some of these bulbs and look at them.  You can tell the paint is thicker and the overall quality is unbelievable.

Here is the site: https://displaysales.com/product-category/christmas-decorations/bulbs-light-sets/incandescent-bulbs/

Yes, I like to leave the white bulbs out.  It really makes the colors pop.

Allen

11 hours ago, Noma4jon said:

Jeff, I saw the conversation on FB about the d-18, and someone mentioned that the Canadian GE also produced some Lexan coated bulbs, but since they were for consumers did they use brass or aluminum on those? I would love to see some of them as it appears that they had a really rich color.

Allen, I really love the bells and garlands. I love the municipal type decorations, this year I put my Municipal pole mount out on the utility pole in forn tof my house, should have taken a picture of it. got lots of compliments form friends and neighbors. I was afraid the utility might come and ask me to take it down, but being an EMC they let us have some ownership of the infrastructure, I saw them drive down my road a couple times and they never said boo about it!

Thanks!  I plan to buy some Large Green Angle Cut Garland, that originally came with the lights and bells, before next Christmas.  This original 1965 green garland was made by "Crystal Valley Decorating" and they still make it today but it's $$$$.  I will have to pay approx. $250.00 for this green garland.  Hopefully, you can get a picture of the pole mount next Christmas season.  I'd love to see it.

RVS12GG-12-Green-PVC-Green-Metallic[1].jpg

images[3].jpg

metallic-Commercial-christmas-garland-types[1].jpg

12 hours ago, JeffCarter said:

Those sockets are some of the best!

One of the best prices I've found... https://www.grandbrass.com/item/so974/lamp_sockets-e_26_medium_base-sign_and_carnival_sockets/

Jeff, 

Thanks for the information.  Those are great prices.

By the way, here is the company I purchase my C9 and C7 bulbs from: https://displaysales.com/product-category/christmas-decorations/bulbs-light-sets/incandescent-bulbs/ 

The C9 bulbs you saw on my house were purchased from Display Sales, and are 6 years old.  I have only replaced one broken bulb.

Allen

Edited by Allen L.
2 people like this

1 hour ago, Allen L. said:

Here is the site: https://displaysales.com/product-category/christmas-decorations/bulbs-light-sets/incandescent-bulbs/

Yes, I like to leave the white bulbs out.  It really makes the colors pop.

Thank you for the link.  i will peruse their site further when I get a few minutes.  The Action Lighting bulbs are also rated for 3000 hours.  I wonder if they are the same bulbs.  I don't think that I replaced any of the bulbs the first few years that I used the A.L. bulbs.  I can't remember exactly how long I've had them now though!  We should compare the boxes that the bulbs came in and see if they look the same!

TED

For the commercial plastic style garland I've had great success with Temple Display. Lots of colors and sizes, and they will sell you exactly the length you need.  Right now they have 33% off everything through the end of February. 

IMG_0302.PNG

IMG_0303.PNG

2 people like this

1 hour ago, TED said:

Thank you for the link.  i will peruse their site further when I get a few minutes.  The Action Lighting bulbs are also rated for 3000 hours.  I wonder if they are the same bulbs.  I don't think that I replaced any of the bulbs the first few years that I used the A.L. bulbs.  I can't remember exactly how long I've had them now though!  We should compare the boxes that the bulbs came in and see if they look the same!

TED

After work, I'll take pictures of the C9 Bulbs including the boxes they come in.  Action lighting and Display Sales might purchased their C7 and C9 bulbs from the same manufacturer.  Hope to post the pictures late this afternoon.

Allen

39 minutes ago, Oldstuff said:

For the commercial plastic style garland I've had great success with Temple Display. Lots of colors and sizes, and they will sell you exactly the length you need.  Right now they have 33% off everything through the end of February. 

IMG_0302.PNG

IMG_0303.PNG

Thanks for the information!

Allen :)

8 hours ago, Allen L. said:

Thanks!  I plan to buy some Large Green Angle Cut Garland, that originally came with the lights and bells, before next Christmas.  This original 1965 green garland was made by "Crystal Valley Decorating" and they still make it today but it's $$$$.  I will have to pay approx. $250.00 for this green garland.  Hopefully, you can get a picture of the pole mount next Christmas season.  I'd love to see it.

RVS12GG-12-Green-PVC-Green-Metallic[1].jpg

images[3].jpg

metallic-Commercial-christmas-garland-types[1].jpg

Jeff, 

Thanks for the information.  Those are great prices.

By the way, here is the company I purchase my C9 and C7 bulbs from: https://displaysales.com/product-category/christmas-decorations/bulbs-light-sets/incandescent-bulbs/ 

The C9 bulbs you saw on my house were purchased from Display Sales, and are 6 years old.  I have only replaced one broken bulb.

Allen

Lol I get retro my garland for a buck fifty for 20ft at the dollar store

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, The Blow Mold Expert said:

Lol I get retro my garland for a buck fifty for 20ft at the dollar store

LOL!!!  I wish I could get those prices on this garland.  This stuff sells for $3 a foot and is 12 inches in diameter.

Here is a picture that "remixsam" made of his Angle Cut Garland with Ornaments.  This is the Garland I've been wanting for a long time, and I need 80 feet of it.

To Sam (remixsam) wherever you are.

Sorry for using your picture Sam, but it's the only picture I know of that shows how the original Green Angle Cut Garland looked like with my 1965 Bells and Commercial C9 lights. 

1424300_10101872530770242_118745457_n.jpg

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Allen L. said:

LOL!!!  I wish I could get those prices on this garland.  This stuff sells for $3 a foot and is 12 inches in diameter.

Here is a picture that "remixsam" made of his Angle Cut Garland with Ornaments.  This is the Garland I've been wanting for a long time, and I need 80 feet of it.

To Sam (remixsam) wherever you are.

Sorry for using your picture Sam, but it's the only picture I know of that shows how the original Green Angle Cut Garland looked like with my 1965 Bells and Commercial C9 lights. 

1424300_10101872530770242_118745457_n.jpg

I just tie four garlands together with zip ties to make mine thicker.

51 minutes ago, The Blow Mold Expert said:

I just tie four garlands together with zip ties to make mine thicker.

I never thought about using the zip ties.  Many years ago (2004) I braided some garland, I bought at Lowes, together.  It lasted about 4 years.  Staying outside in the weather for 31 days out of every year does a lot of damage to the store bought garland.  The pine garland, on my lights today, has lasted 8 years but it's starting to deteriorate. 

7 minutes ago, Allen L. said:

I never thought about using the zip ties.  Many years ago (2004) I braided some garland, I bought at Lowes, together.  It lasted about 4 years.  Staying outside in the weather for 31 days out of every year does a lot of damage to the store bought garland.  The pine garland, on my lights today, has lasted 8 years but it's starting to deteriorate. 

I get pine garland from Michael's. Usually around September or October it goes on sale at 40%-50% off for about a week. Normally it runs about $8 for 9 feet. I use it on a friends house and it works nicely...

IMG_4401.JPG

Edited by JeffCarter

10 hours ago, TED said:

TED

TED,

Here are the pictures of the C9 bulbs that I purchase from Display Sales.  They come in quantities of 25 per box. 

IMG_20170119_193423121.jpg

IMG_20170119_193436903.jpg

IMG_20170119_193534211.jpg

IMG_20170119_193551550.jpg

IMG_20170119_193603377.jpg

IMG_20170119_193630871.jpg

IMG_20170119_193616026.jpg

3 minutes ago, JeffCarter said:

I get pine garland from Michael's. Usually around September or October it goes on sale at 40%-50% off for about a week. Normally it runs about $8 for 9 feet. I use it on a friends house and it works nicely...

That looks awesome, Jeff!  I didn't know that Michael's sold pine garland.  It looks so much better than my cheap pine garland from Lowes. LOL!