Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Babblefish42

what light to use for 1/2 mi visability?

We recently moved to a home in the mtns of Western NC.  I want to start decorating the back of the home, as we sit near the top of the mtn, and there is a great view of it from the valley.  But this distance is between 1/2 mi. to 1 mi (at furthest point).

This past year, I used standard C9 LED bulbs. And if you knew exactly where to look, you could see the general glow.

Is there something else I should consider?  I really want my 40' maxi tree to be seen if possible.

The flip side is that while doing this, I would like to keep an eye on the power draw, both for wiring, but also cost.

Any suggestions?

Get ready for a very high light bill.

You could go with the medium base led bulbs ( CDI has them). They have 10 leds inside instead of the 5 that the c9 has.  Of course that means all new stringers etc.  not a cheap change over

Thanks.

It seems that a "medium Base" bulb is the standard home light bulb.  Is that what you were meaning?  Yes, LED versions of these will be very expensive.  And not sure if they can be used outside (with no protection) or I can get any colors. 

Hopefully there will be some other option.

Yes standard a 19 socket, they make them both in incan and led and are just fine for outdoor use. 

You say you used "standard C9 LED bulbs" - do you mean you used big-box store style LED C9's? If so, that was problem #1. Most Big box store C9's have just 1 LED inside the globe. The "retrofit" C9's that CDI/HLE/etc sell have 5 LEDs in each globe, and are much brighter. The ceramic-style C9 retrofits from HLE were nearly incandescent-like (not quite - but almost). I don't think the faceted type appear as bright.

Could consider some full-wave M5's double-stranded. The full wave M5's are a good deal brighter than store-bought ones, and if you double them up, yea it'll be expensive as heck, but it's gonna be bright. 

I used an aviation beacon on my wireframed reindeer, LED...can't miss it!!

Stone Mountain here in Georgia uses medium base LED's for their mega tree strung on a broadcast tower at the top. They were using incandescent S14 and switched out the lamps. It is actually visible further with the LED's than it was with the incandescents.