Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

joshua2415

2015 Display...looking for ideas for 2016

39 posts in this topic

I've been lurking here since last year.  I decided to take some ideas from people here and apply them to my display.  Not sure how much I will change or add this year, but I'm looking for input from others.  Here's what I did last year.  I started small a few years back and added each year until I arrived at this point.  Please let me know what you think.  Thank you all! 

House 2015.jpg

1 person likes this

MEGA TREE!!! It's screaming MEGA TREE!! Don't use LOR .....everyone has it..

Also, maybe some arches over the driveway....remember NO LOR:):) just my 2 pennies in thought.

1 person likes this

I don't know about a mega-tree.  Depends on where they put it.  In the center would breakup the nice house outline they got going and the porch.  I could definitly see some arches on the driveway sides maybe.  Perhaps some rgb floods on the darker parts of the house.  Add some lights into the existing tree branches or maybe some cascading light tubes.  Depends on if you want to stay static or go rgb.  You could always redo your house line with rgb bulbs (that is what I am doing this year.. the arrive today =D) 

Thank you for the input!  Redoing the tree in the middle was on my list of changes.  We had too many lights at the bottom and not enough in the canopy.  I'm going to spread them out this year.  I also thought about some mini trees along the right side of the driveway; I have no light over there.  I definitely want to keep everything static, so I agree, no LOR.  Getting my wife to go along with more color is a challenge, she's all about the warm white.  I like it too...makes it look elegant.  Although, she surprised me with going along with the red we have.  Please keep the suggestions coming, I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts.

One other option then for elegent and static.  Either a single wreath or maybe 2 wreaths on your garage.  And perhaps two more on either side of the leftmost window.  The only other thought would be would you want to finish the rest of your house line or keep it as is?  You could do the back peak and the horizontal on the right of the garage peak. (Can't tell if it looks odd not having lights there or would look more odd with lights there..)

I would like to change my lights to the replaceable C-9's for my roof lines, but right now I can't justify the cost...maybe i'll find a sale on all the items to do that.  Right now it's kinda hard to do the top peak.  One, it's kinda precarious getting up there, and 2, to find a stringer to fits that length and not have a lot leftover is tricky.  I like to keep them the same brand, so they'll be the same warm white.  Maybe this is the exact reason I need to change over now, to the custom lines and replaceable C-9's?  Also, the part on the right side of the house above the garage is tricky...I haven't figured out how to get there, without sliding down the roof.  Every year I stand in my driveway and stare at that part, with no lights on it!  I have thought about the wreath idea...maybe on all the windows.  I need ideas on how to hang them and light them...

I echo the lights on the upper peak and garage, but fully understand why not.  The tree might look good with fewer lights on the trunk as you said, but maybe consider a color, say, red to match the front lights or maybe green, for the branches, then get a few of the starlight spheres in red ( http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/-Starlight-Sphere-Red-LED-7732.htm ) to add as ornaments.   For the far side of the driveway you may consider any of the numerous styles of pathway lights.  I've seen trees, candy canes, packages, snowmen, santas, etc.    The other thought would be to put a giant lighted wreath over the garage door instead of the window lights.   It could be lit any color, or colors you choose.   Definitely don't want to go 'over the top'  It is simple and elegant now.   Don't forget to post pictures if you make changes !

If you go C9, you can make custom lengths. If you can run an ohm meter, you can make a LED string custom. Been there and nooooo problems at all

5 hours ago, joshua2415 said:

I've been lurking here since last year.  I decided to take some ideas from people here and apply them to my display.  Not sure how much I will change or add this year, but I'm looking for input from others.  Here's what I did last year.  I started small a few years back and added each year until I arrived at this point.  Please let me know what you think.  Thank you all! 

House 2015.jpg

My 10 cents worth, Definitely static I would add a nice big wreath with a large red bow above the garage, and I would also follow the white lits on the second floor peak in the middle. if you want to get a little crazy i would put  either snow flakes on the roof with warm light led's to match everything else. On the middle of the yard I would add a few candy canes lit ofcourse and a few mini trees that you can make out of tomato cages, nothing to crazy. Over all the lighting looks super elegant.

Check out my house I am on here with a facebook link to a video of my house. I too am a static displayer.

here is the link: http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/topic/59046-blow-mold-soliders/#comment-647211

Edited by jarnaez

Thank again for all the helpful insight, I appreciate all the input!!  Funny what WLND-DAVID said about putting red lights in the tree.  It's hard to tell by the picture, but there are some in there.  The abundance of white lights washes out the red.  This year, I'm gonna try something like the pic below.  I like the look of that.  Also, because it's a young birch tree, it doesn't have very large branches.  I like the tomato cage mini trees.  My wife made a couple of larger ones (the ones flanking each side of the house).  We had them up by the front door, but they seemed to get lost sitting there.  She put artificial garland and ornaments on them for the daytime, and they look like 4 foot tall Christmas trees...she did an awesome job on them.  I also have to give credit to those on this website.  I saw the tree idea here, as well as the PVC window frames I made.  Thanks for all the great ideas!!

tree.bmp

Edited by joshua2415
wrong picture

Your display is beautiful as is. Clean, simple lines. Yes you can add wreaths, arches and such. But, you also can ad a little more color around to break up all of the white. Lets see pics once you get it set up this year.

Careful in looking to add more for the sake of "more",will be real easy to go from the current "classic" look to junky!

16 hours ago, joshua2415 said:

the part on the right side of the house above the garage is tricky...I haven't figured out how to get there, without sliding down the roof.  Every year I stand in my driveway and stare at that part, with no lights on it! 

I deal with a very steep pitch roof on my house and for roof pitches of 12/12 or more I  use a 32' or on one section a 40' ladder and just pull the feet out until  the ladder basically lays on the roof. with a person holding the bottom so the ladder cant slide you can walk right up it. If you don't own a long extension ladder i would ask your neighbors or they can be rented and delivered by tool rental companies. that one section of roof above the garage would drive me crazy.

Wow!  Thanks again for all the replies!  I have seen the candles before, and I thought it was a neat idea.  I thought about making small ones for each window.  I definitely don't want to add more stuff just for the sake adding.  My wife and I agree on the "not too much" aspect.  We want to keep the display clean.  I have been looking at ideas for getting to that part of the roof behind the garage and the taller peak.  I have a 28' foot extension ladder that gets me to the left side.  The first year, I did put lights on the tall one, but I had to go on the roof and make my way over to it.  if I had lost my footing, I woulda went down the left side and over...ouch!  We'll see what I come up with.  I may have to rent one of those booms and just forego the ladder.  I've asked roofers and they say they use old couch cushions to prevent sliding down steep pitches; I may give that a shot.  I really appreciate everyone's ideas and comments.  Has anyone's displays inspired neighbors to put up lights?  Ours has.  I like it...kinda turns into a friendly competition and makes the neighborhood look better and get in the holiday spirit.

You have a lovely home and your lights look beautiful.  What if you kept all the outlines (striaght lines) in white and change the shrubs and bushes (round shapes) to color?  You could use multi color on all, or make each a different color.  

Here's another idea. Since you are using red on your tree, replace every fifth bulb on the string outlining your roof with a red lamp. I would use a transparent red instead of a solid red bulb. It's a subtle change but it's very effective. Here's an idea of what it would look like.

57e3e90cb3b88_House2015.jpg.e8447ed2c8ae8a035661066a6e9acded.jpg

1 person likes this

I'm planning on a Santa landing strip on the roof this year. It's an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

I like those ideas!  We have talked about the shrubs getting some color, but we differ a little on what it should be.  My wife wants each to be a solid color, red for one, green for the next.  I could go for either a mix of red and green in each bush or multicolor...I think she'll get her way, if we change.  We also talked about the alternating red and white on the roof, but she didn't like the candy cane look...maybe the every fifth light would be acceptable.  It looks pretty darn ok!!

I would take the lights out of the tree completely and do up floods, red on one side green on the other.  If you want a mega tree it doesn't have to be huge.  I would not do more than a 12' and put it on the left side back behind the utility boxes.  I would finish out the roof line where you are blank.  I would also change the color in the windows to something a little more subdue, like blue or red. You have a lot of white outside and to add some color to the windows would make it pop! I would take the two bushes closest to the road and put green in both.  Just my 2 cents.

Mike

I was looking at doing some mini-trees on the side of the driveway.  My question is how do I get power to them?  If I was to do, say 6 of them, could I connect them to a homemade type of power strip made of spt1 & inline plugs at each tree, then a male plug at the end to connect to power?  I'm trying to wrap my head around a way to power them.  I know it's probably way easier than I'm thinking.  I initially thought connecting them all together, but I'm not sure if the lead length of the light string would be long enough to reach the next tree and so on.  Can someone please enlighten my overcomplicated mind?

Send a pic if you can. Maybe we all can help figure out the power..

Let me know if this makes sense.

mini tree diagram.jpg

oh yeah, and the mini lights are store bought LED, so it's not a big amp draw

That makes perfect sense to me, use SPT2 wire for the cord:)

any reason for spt2, versus spt1 other than thicker insulation?