Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Gnevala

Candy Cane Arch

Finishing up my new prop for the year.  Been working on this all summer and now trying to figure out how to keep it standing.  I have 3 channels of lights-red and white for the canes and other is the sign.  We get high winds here and then I had to make it tall so I can get my sled trailer out!  

IMG_1263.JPG  Candy Cane Arch.JPG

2 people like this

I planned to do something similar over my driveway next year, thinking you will have to have a strong base stake and guy wires. My plan since I am redoing my driveway is to install concrete bases on the sides of the driveway for my Entry sign and my driveway arches, hoping this will hold everything in place and some overkill will be included, more guy wires.

1 person likes this

That looks really great!!!   Nicely done.

That looks awesome! How did you make the candy canes? PVC?

Yes it's made from 4" pivc pipe.  Someone sent me instructions on how to bend it.  Basically you cut out pie shaped pieces out at the top to make it bend then plastic weld it back together. Then you use bondo to smoothen it all out.  It was kind of hard to do!  Then the arch is made from 1/2" conduit and the sign came from Home Depot   We'll see if it holds up to the wind! 

Good work! That does sound very time consuming but the end result looks very good. I prefer things you build over stuff just bought from the store. Nice to have something the neighbors don't have! Hehe. 

You'll need guy wires as suggested. Minimum 2 on each side.

Or buy her a nice winter coat.

Either way - good job & looks great!

Awesome! I want to do something like this but i wont have the candy canes on each side I'll just have a north pole style with a round ball at the top. I'm trying to figure out the  length of pipe needed coming from a 45° angle from the end.

Where's a sequence of them in action  Cant wait to get all of this set up and going.  Did a complete redesign this year and added a pizel tree and elf girl, snowman shuffle. spiral trees and the candy cane arches.  Been a busy summer!  

20150830_123151.mp4

Looking good, seeing that video makes me even more excited to get going with my stuff for this year! I don't do animated but that song put me in the mood!

Here it is all set up!  I cemented a sleave in the ground then dropped a 1' steel rod into it and sled the candy canes over them to keep them up right. I also have the arche attached to each candy cane so I can pull against each candy cane to keep it tight.  I used set screws to attach the arch to each candy canes.  I have 2 guide wires on each cane hold it up right. Actually it seem sturdy so I am hoping it will hold together because the arch is kind of heavy    I have 3 channels. red. white and middle sign-Merry Christmas

IMG_1399 (1).JPG

1 person likes this

On 8/19/2015 at 7:52 PM, Gnevala said:

Finishing up my new prop for the year.  Been working on this all summer and now trying to figure out how to keep it standing.  I have 3 channels of lights-red and white for the canes and other is the sign.  We get high winds here and then I had to make it tall so I can get my sled trailer out!  

IMG_1263.JPG  Candy Cane Arch.JPG

What did you use to hold up and attach  your Merry Christmas sign? I am a New enthusiest full of questions.

I make my wife sit out there 24/7 holding it up!  lol   I have a 5' piece of 1' water pipe inside each candy cane that slides into a sleave I set  in concrete.  On the upper end of the water pipe, I welded a tee to take up the slack.  The arch slides into to sleaves I welded to a piece of angle iron I bolted the the candy canes.  I have a set screw I tighten once everything is set.  I also use guide wires on both candy canes to hold it.  Works good-takes about 10 minutes to set it up.