Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Glenn Barber

Enhancing Fm Radio Transmitter Distance

Hey Guys,

I use one of the Cheap $75 FM Transmitters with my display. It really does a good job it gets out about 600 feet down the road from my house.  My question is - is there any way to enhance the little black wire to make it pickup farther out - say a 1000 feet?  Has anyone had any experience in doing that?  600 feet is Ok but hey 400 more feet is even better.

Are you talking about one of the whole house transmitters with the thin wire antenna?  You can trim the antenna to an optimum length based on the frequency, but I am surprised if you are getting 600' already out of that.

Yes - That's the one - I am amazed also at the distance I am getting but that is what it is - I don't understand the optimum length on the frequency - can you elaborate?  Thanks

Mine came with a sheet that had an equation for "trimming" the antenna to the optimum length for the frequency you are broadcasting.

Divide 11811 by the FM station MHZ you want to transmit on.
Example :  for station 93.9 Mhz divide 11811 by 93.9 = 125.78 inches........for 103.7 Mhz divide 11811 by 103.7 = 113.89 inches 

Measure and cut the antenna to that length.

Also there is a round sticker inside...peel back the sticker and you will see a switch.  Move the switch to the other position.

That is about as much as you can do.  I could never get good transmission out of mine so it is stuffed in a box somewhere after trying for two years to get it to work better.  I picked up a cheap Fail Safe unit  F-S CHZ-05B that I have had great success with right out of the box.   And it uses a little rubber antenna.

Thank You - I am going to try that - I'll let u know if it works.  I think my Math skills are still good - heheheheh

that is why they gave us this little calculator accessory as a gift with Windows!

Unless you're rural, don't know why you need to broadcast that far. Also, need to check your FCC regulations.

Unlicensed operation on the AM and FM radio broadcast bands is permitted for some extremely low powered devices covered under Part 15 of the FCC's rules. On FM frequencies, these devices are limited to an effective service range of approximately 200 feet (61 meters).

Yup....here is a FCC doc regulating it.  As long as you are not interfering with a commercial carier on another frequency no one is coming to look for you.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/low-power-broadcast-radio-stations

If you do get caught....just claim you are in this country illegally and don't know our laws.  It is a get out of jail free card...they will leave you alone.  Otherwise there are big fines, just like everything else for us citizens.

Heck guys - I did not need all of the FCC fines and jail stuff - I thought someone would just say stick a piece of aluminum foil on the thing and let it fly - I think I will stick what I have - it's actually good enough.