Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

qberg

Falling Santa Cut Out

Here is a Santa Hanging from the gutters cut out I did a good 5-6 years ago.  I originally did it in 3/8 plywood as I needed something light hanging on the gutters on my second story.  Last year I re-made it out of Coro and added a wiper motor for some action.  This is always a favorite by visitors to our house.

post-8503-0-14798000-1414332900_thumb.jp

I found the vinyl J Channel works great as a hanger on the gutters and is much more secure than anything else I have tried in the past.

post-8503-0-95676000-1414332931_thumb.jp

I had to triple the coro to get enough strength.  I alternated the directions of the coro when bonding them together.  The feet are only double thickness.  I also bonded plexiglass to give a rigid mount for the motor and pivot point.

enjoy!

Edited by qberg

Looks great well done

thanks DSE.....

a tip for buying Coro....call any local sign/printing shop and they can order big sheets.  I got my 4'x8' sheets for $17 each.  a lot cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes

Very Cool! What type of paint do you use? Also do you prime the coro with anything?

gopack...I used an adhesion promoter for plastics as a primer and for paint I used spray paint from lowes.  Sprayed it all white, masked it off and then repeated the process for the other colors.  When it was done I used a clear to seal it all.  I think I used a clear glitter paint on the white as well.  I hung it while in storage in the attic and it did fine.

After gluing the sheets together I used hot glue on the edges to fill in the coro holes.

On the original plywood one I sealed it with Kilz and then used spray paint as well.  The 3/8" plywood warped a lot in storage after 5 years, that is why I wanted to try coro. 

Looks great! What are you doing to get a back and forth motion with the wiper?

I used the motor kit sold by Winfield:     http://www.thewinfieldcollection.com/product/Dancing_Santa_Woodcraft_Pattern/Christmas_Motorized_Designs

To get the motion the central pivot point can be seen in the pic in the white "fur" at the bottom of the coat.  The 3/4" nylon spacers were epoxied into the coro and plexi reinforcement and I used an aluminum fastener.  The link bar connects about 8" down from the pivot point to the rear side of the legs.  You adjust the amount of movement by varying the distance between the pivot point and the link bar attachment.  The motor kit comes with the steel bar that attaches to the motor shaft and spins in approx. a 4" diameter circle and connects to the other end of the link bar.  I have a couple felt pads in between the two pieces to help prevent additional flexing and binding due to wind.

Normally you would have the legs behind the bottom fur of the jacket, but this caused problems because of the motor mounting to the back.  Therefore, the legs mount in front of the body and I put the fur bottom of the jacket on the legs piece.  I think it looks better having the bottom of the jacket moving too as the legs swing.  Otherwise his feet would just look like the pendulum on a clock.

The whole santa assembled is 5' tall.  I will be separating the sections to lubricate the bearings for this season and take pics of the separated sections.

Edited by qberg