Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ATXmasLights

Squirrel Attacks- They Love Leds!

Has anyone else had squirrels wreaking havoc on their lighting?  I'm in Austin Texas and we had tons of squirrel issues this season in our wrapped trees.  Most of them are oak trees and every single one that had major issues was wrapped with 5mm LED lights.  It may be a coincidence that LEDs were on my larger trees, but I am wondering if it was due to the lack of heat they put off or something similar.

We warmed up right before Christmas and my phone just started blowing up with outage service calls.  We would go back and make repairs and come back the next day to find more damage.

My plan is to look in to some sort of ultrasonic repellent if that exists.

Anyone have ideas?

Check out this story: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtown/2011/12/squirrels-chewing-through-new-led-christmas-lights/

My issue was more with rabbits but this should also work for you... this year I used that pepper spray that they sell for keeping deer from eating your bushes.  Once I started spraying that on my lights and cords not one little bite!!!!!  I also found on one of these forums a recipe to make it yourself which is MUCH cheaper.  The only downside is that you have to spray it on again after every rain.... oh yeah, one other downside.... never, ever be down wind when you are spraying.... or so I heard....

Havent had any issues like that.  But last year I swear that squirrels were chewy my jute twine that I use to hold the net lights on the trees!

The squirrels didn't attack my display this year, but they did enjoy sitting on top of my 42" Snoopy tinsel sculpture to eat their pine cones in the mornings. Had to go clean him off every couple of days this season. As long as they have pine cones (or corn in the feeder), they generally don't mess with my stuff.

Edited by CameronInGA

Trees should be easier to squirrel proof than bushes- fabricate a sheetmetal collar to go around the trunk maybe 4-5 feet off the ground- kinda like what some bird feeders on poles come with for the same purpose.

I have read,and seen pictures mostly of c6 LEDs that the squirrels think are berries{food} and they actually sever the wires on both sides of each c6 and take them and bury them in yards/gardens to "eat" later!

on a side note,looking at the picture in the link in the first post of this thread......i have NEVER been able to find a set of LEDs with such nice,tight wire twist as that as shown,anyone else? would love to know the source/manufacturer of those particular light sets.

Edited by merrymidget

All this talk of squirrels and rabbits is making me hungry.

If you use an input pup to trigger the channel, they'll be toasty soon...

Just saying...

:P  :P  :P

I too provided squirrels with plenty of food.  It was three or four years ago and I decided to put the 'new' led lights in my trees.  I put 3 or 4 strings of solid color strings up  in each one so I had a red tree, green tree, blue tree, white tree etc. out behind the small pond I have in the back part of my yard.  They all looked so pretty in the fresh fallen snow.   After a couple of weeks I noticed some of the lights were not working, being that there was several inches of snow I didn't bother to go trudging out back  to check (what I thought was) loose fittings.  By the time January came around there was not even one tree that had all its lights working, I just shut off that circuit and let it be.  When the weather got nice at the end of February, I went out to take down and put the lights away and found strings chewed and bulbs missing everywhere.   They seemed to like the white ones the best.   I was still finding pieces of wire and odd bulbs that next fall when raking up leaves.   My solution -- I no longer put mini LED lights in the trees out behind the pond.  It turned out to be about a $125 mistake!

Now the lights on the eaves, gutters and lamp post still brighten up my Holiday :cool:

There is a plant called "wormwood" that squirrels and rabbits are supposed to be allergic to.  It can be planted around gardens to keep rabbits out so maybe it would work for lights.

TED