Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums
Register now to gain access to all of the PlanetChristmas forums. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This ugly looking message disappears once you have signed in.

1965 Large Blow Mold Bells & C9 Lights

46 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I  was asked by Mel, to upload some pictures of the Large Lighted Bells that Mr. Tom Roden once had.  These bells and lights were given to me by Mrs. Roden many years ago, when Mr. Roden passed away.  Mr. Roden worked in a bank inside the old Dunavant's Mall, once located in Huntsville, Alabama.  The mall purchased the bells and lights in 1965 and removed them around 1975.  Mr. Roden was able to save these bells and lights from the trash.  Mr. Roden outlined his house with these lights and placed each bell at the three corners of his house.  I always thought, his house was so cool.  As Mr. Roden got old, I helped him put these lights and bells up every Christmas until he died.  These bells were his pride and joy.  The original garland, on the C9 lights, was very big and made of green shiny plastic.  The original garland deteriorated and had to be replaced with the pine garland shown in the pictures.  I hope all of you enjoy the pictures. 

Allen

post-18713-0-25023000-1384226103_thumb.j

post-18713-0-43437900-1384226175_thumb.j

post-18713-0-30208900-1384226204_thumb.j

Posted · Report post

The bells and garland look great!  Thank you for posting the pictures, I do appreciate it.  Will you be using them this year?  If so, I hope you will also post pictures of your display showing them.  I don't remember now, do you know who made the bells?

As a side note, we all know that the bells could not be sold today with that wiring setup.

Mel

Posted · Report post

I have the same bells mine are fiberglass

Posted · Report post

I will be using them this year, at my 91 year old Grandmother's house. She loves them and I can't so no to her. At that age, you never know if it could be her last Christmas.  I will take pictures of them this December, after I put them up. I not sure who made these bells and lights.

I have never seen any bells like these made out of fiberglass, but I would love to see pictures of them.  Mine are made of hard red thick plastic.

Allen

Posted · Report post

Those are some really nice bells!  And kudos for not saying no to your 91-year-old grandma!

Posted · Report post

I have always enjoyed viewing Christmas Decorations once used in city displays.  I have many pictures of old displays and towns during the 50s and 60s era.  It is too bad our society has left that world behind.  Here is a great street shot from 1953 of some simular Bells in Walla Walla.

31625ad.jpg

Posted · Report post

Wow!, I found a vintage photo of old Christmas Bells. These bells look like Mr. Roden's bells. The photo is from a book called "Holidays On Display". You can find this book with this photo at Amazon. The book states that this photo is from 1968 and was located in Brooklyn, New York. I also found other photos searching Google Image. These bells must have been very popular in the 1960's. I wish someone could tell me who manufactured these bells.

Enjoy! :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larry_tony_brutus/3933569398/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larry_tony_brutus/4195818193/in/photostream/

Posted · Report post

I forgot to add pictures of what the old original garland once looked like.  I had to replace the old garland with the new pine garland shown in the pictures above.

Allen

Posted · Report post

I also have that garland mine has multi color lights

Posted · Report post

The bells (and garland) were made by Valley Display Co. of Fresno, CA. Long gone

Posted · Report post

I've got something similar, I plan on getting the lights down this weekend, I will try to remember to upload a picture of the type of bells I have...

Posted · Report post

The bells (and garland) were made by Valley Display Co. of Fresno, CA. Long gone

Thanks for the information. I never thought that i would find the company that made them. :)

Allen

Posted · Report post

Here is a pic of the bells I have.  Sorry I forgot to take the pic before I had them in the trees.  I have 4 total.  They are from the 1960's I believe, and they used to hang in Ashland, Ohio in their downtown.

post-8182-0-35368100-1384794879_thumb.jp

Posted · Report post

Here's a picture of the other two.

post-8182-0-37675800-1384795000_thumb.jp

Posted · Report post

Those are good looking bells, it's always enjoyable to see the decorations from yesteryear.  Thanks for posting the pictures.

Mel

Posted · Report post

Those are so cool!  I would love to see pictures of them lit up.  Take really good care of them.  It's hard to find old commercial decorations like that. :)

I wasn't going to let anybody know this, until I could take pictures, but I have (4) blow mold 27" bells and (4) blow mold 32" lanterns.  I bought these from World Class Christmas Display many years ago.  I plan to use the lanterns at my house this year, and the bells at my parents house.  I will post pictures after Thanksgiving.

The blow mold bells and lanterns look these:

Posted · Report post

Here's my fiberglass bells

post-5135-0-66161700-1388599517_thumb.jp

Posted · Report post

Inside pic

Wow!  I have never seen them in fiberglass. Those are cool!  How did you find them?

I like the way you have them on the porch.  :cool:

Just to let you know I have information on who manufactured these Bells. I bought a CD with vintage catalogs of old Christmas decoration manufacturers. The vintage catalogs show home and municipal decorations starting from the 1920's thru the 1990's.  You could buy the Bells in fiberglass or plastic.  I don't have the CD with me but I will post the name of the company later. 

You can buy this CD by going to "www.blow-molded.com" and select the word "catalogs" or click the link below:

http://www.blow-molded.com/Catalogs.html

Allen :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Your Bells and Mine are shown in a catalog from:

Garrison - Wagner Company

2018 Washington Ave.

St, Louis, MO

The 1950 and 1955 catalog shows the Bells with two choices. ("Translucent Fiberglass" or "Translucent Plastic")

The 1964 catalog shows the "Translucent Plastic" Bells only.

They stopped making the Fiberglass Bells somewhere between 1955 and 1964.

I'm not sure if Garrison - Wagner manufactured the Bells or just sold them for another manufacturer.  My 1965 Bells and C9 Lights, with Trans-glo Green Garland, were originaly purchased from General Plastic, which is now known as GP Designs Inc., by Dunavant's Mall which has been long gone.

Allen

Edited by Allen L.

Posted · Report post

Cool thanks for the info

Posted · Report post

Allen, Garrison-Wagner was just a distributor, not a manufacturer.  Your bells and garland were manufactured by Valley Decorating Co, of Fresno, Ca. They existed under their original ownership until the early 70's.  They are still around today under new ownership as Crystal-Valley, out of Portland, Or, I believe.

Those bells are also sometimes referred to as Howard/Harrell bells, but again, Howard/Harrell was just a distributor.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Allen, Garrison-Wagner was just a distributor, not a manufacturer.  Your bells and garland were manufactured by Valley Decorating Co, of Fresno, Ca. They existed under their original ownership until the early 70's.  They are still around today under new ownership as Crystal-Valley, out of Portland, Or, I believe.

Those bells are also sometimes referred to as Howard/Harrell bells, but again, Howard/Harrell was just a distributor.

Ok, Thanks Ken.

I was recently told that General Plastics Co. was the Christmas Decoration supplier to Dunavant's Mall in the 1960's.  General Plastics Co. manufactured a Large Green Garland called "Trans-Glo" that had either C9 lights or plastic lighted sugarplums attached to it. They were and still are a manufacturing company only.

The only thing I can now assume is that Dunavant's Mall bought the bells made by Valley Decorating Co and the C9 lighted garland from General Plastics Co. then added them together in their display back in 1965. 

I guess they played the mix and match game. LOL!

Do you know if Valley Decorating Co. made the same type of garland as General Plastics?

Allen :)

Edited by Allen L.

Posted · Report post

I remember the Trans-Glo garland and sugarplums on the downtown streets of my hometown of Zanesville, Ohio from my childhood. I remember seeing this in the late 1970s/early 1980s, but no idea how long the city had those particular decorations.

Posted · Report post

I remember the Trans-Glo garland and sugarplums on the downtown streets of my hometown of Zanesville, Ohio from my childhood. I remember seeing this in the late 1970s/early 1980s, but no idea how long the city had those particular decorations.

Cameron,

Thanks to Ken Draus, I found the old plastic Trans-Glo Garland. It is now called Angle Cut Garland and is manufactured by Crystal Valley Decorationing Inc.. You can still buy it from a distributor at the link below:

http://store.christmasdesigners.com/Angle-Cut-Garland-12-Diameter-Per-Foot.html

I never would have thought, that anyone still made this plastic vintage garland.  Wow!, the Green Angle Cut Garland brings back lots of childhood memories. I will have to save up some cash and add this to my C9 lights next year.   ($4 a foot and I need about 200 feet, Ouch!) :o

Allen

post-18713-0-41119000-1388678704_thumb.j