See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo

1965 Large Blow Mold Bells & C9 Lights

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Allen L.

Allen L.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:I don't really have one Christmas story to tell, but I do miss seeing Mr. Roden during the Christmas season. Mr. Tom & Betty Roden were my parent’s next door neighbors from 1975 until 2002. Mr. Roden worked at a Bank located inside an old 1965 Mall. When the Mall replaced their old 1965 Christmas decorations in 1976, Mr. Roden was allowed to take some of the old ones. The decorations were commercial grade C9 lights with big green garland and big lighted red blow mold bells with snow painted at the bottom. These decorations were Mr. Roden's pride and joy at Christmas time. As Mr. Roden got old, I kept hanging those lights and bells for him until he passed away. Soon after he died, his wife gave me the decorations and said he wanted me to have them. Since Mr. Roden's passing, I put them up every Christmas at my house. It always brings a smile and a tear to my eye, when I get ready to hang the decorations, because of all the wonderful memories. (In loving memory of Mr. Tom Roden)

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

I  was asked by Mel, to upload some pictures of the Large Lighted Bells that Mr. Tom Roden once had.  These bells and lights were given to me by Mrs. Roden many years ago, when Mr. Roden passed away.  Mr. Roden worked in a bank inside the old Dunavant's Mall, once located in Huntsville, Alabama.  The mall purchased the bells and lights in 1965 and removed them around 1975.  Mr. Roden was able to save these bells and lights from the trash.  Mr. Roden outlined his house with these lights and placed each bell at the three corners of his house.  I always thought, his house was so cool.  As Mr. Roden got old, I helped him put these lights and bells up every Christmas until he died.  These bells were his pride and joy.  The original garland, on the C9 lights, was very big and made of green shiny plastic.  The original garland deteriorated and had to be replaced with the pine garland shown in the pictures.  I hope all of you enjoy the pictures. 

Allen

Attached Files

#2 Mel Fischer

Mel Fischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

The bells and garland look great!  Thank you for posting the pictures, I do appreciate it.  Will you be using them this year?  If so, I hope you will also post pictures of your display showing them.  I don't remember now, do you know who made the bells?

As a side note, we all know that the bells could not be sold today with that wiring setup.

Mel

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts!

I live in my own little world. But it's ok,.... they know me here.

#3 poloron christmas

poloron christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

I have the same bells mine are fiberglass

#4 Allen L.

Allen L.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:I don't really have one Christmas story to tell, but I do miss seeing Mr. Roden during the Christmas season. Mr. Tom & Betty Roden were my parent’s next door neighbors from 1975 until 2002. Mr. Roden worked at a Bank located inside an old 1965 Mall. When the Mall replaced their old 1965 Christmas decorations in 1976, Mr. Roden was allowed to take some of the old ones. The decorations were commercial grade C9 lights with big green garland and big lighted red blow mold bells with snow painted at the bottom. These decorations were Mr. Roden's pride and joy at Christmas time. As Mr. Roden got old, I kept hanging those lights and bells for him until he passed away. Soon after he died, his wife gave me the decorations and said he wanted me to have them. Since Mr. Roden's passing, I put them up every Christmas at my house. It always brings a smile and a tear to my eye, when I get ready to hang the decorations, because of all the wonderful memories. (In loving memory of Mr. Tom Roden)

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:37 AM

I will be using them this year, at my 91 year old Grandmother's house. She loves them and I can't so no to her. At that age, you never know if it could be her last Christmas.  I will take pictures of them this December, after I put them up. I not sure who made these bells and lights.

I have never seen any bells like these made out of fiberglass, but I would love to see pictures of them.  Mine are made of hard red thick plastic.

Allen

#5 Elaine F

Elaine F

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

Those are some really nice bells!  And kudos for not saying no to your 91-year-old grandma!

Posted Image
My motto is that if it doesn't move, put lights on it. If it does move, sneak up behind it and put lights on it anyways.
(Motto borrowed from Bob Van Streader, cuz it just made me laugh!)

My stained glass shop: http://beyond-the-looking-glass.com

#6 The Curator

The Curator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:The Birth of Jesus

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

I have always enjoyed viewing Christmas Decorations once used in city displays.  I have many pictures of old displays and towns during the 50s and 60s era.  It is too bad our society has left that world behind.  Here is a great street shot from 1953 of some simular Bells in Walla Walla.

31625ad.jpg

#7 Allen L.

Allen L.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

Wow!, I found a vintage photo of old Christmas Bells. These bells look like Mr. Roden's bells. The photo is from a book called "Holidays On Display". You can find this book with this photo at Amazon. The book states that this photo is from 1968 and was located in Brooklyn, New York. I also found other photos searching Google Image. These bells must have been very popular in the 1960's. I wish someone could tell me who manufactured these bells.

Enjoy! :)

http://www.flickr.co...tus/3933569398/

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

#8 Allen L.

Allen L.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

I forgot to add pictures of what the old original garland once looked like.  I had to replace the old garland with the new pine garland shown in the pictures above.

Allen

#9 poloron christmas

poloron christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

I also have that garland mine has multi color lights

#10 Ken Draus

Ken Draus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:I grew up in a christmas family. My gradfather was an avid decorator, going back to right after WWII, when in 1946, he made his own light strings out of wire, sockets, and 25 watt colored lamps to outline the roof of the family home in the Hegewisch neiborhood of Chicago. The display there evolved over the years, and by the late '60's, became a large spectacle. The bug bit me from an early age, and I eventually took it over, and actually started a small business during High school doing small commercail displays, which led to my landing my dream job with one of the largest commercial display companies at the time, in Chicago in 1984. Still work there today, as needed, but through my experience there, eventually became a commercial electrical contractor in the Chicago area.
    In recent years, I have recreated many components of the original display from my grandparents home at my own, and my young children are now getting into it as well, now passing it on to the 4th generation.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

The bells (and garland) were made by Valley Display Co. of Fresno, CA. Long gone

#11 Franchise_24

Franchise_24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:The birth of Jesus.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

I've got something similar, I plan on getting the lights down this weekend, I will try to remember to upload a picture of the type of bells I have...

#12 Allen L.

Allen L.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

The bells (and garland) were made by Valley Display Co. of Fresno, CA. Long gone

Thanks for the information. I never thought that i would find the company that made them. :)

Allen

#13 Franchise_24

Franchise_24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Here is a pic of the bells I have.  Sorry I forgot to take the pic before I had them in the trees.  I have 4 total.  They are from the 1960's I believe, and they used to hang in Ashland, Ohio in their downtown.

Attached Files

#14 Franchise_24

Franchise_24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

Here's a picture of the other two.

Attached Files

#15 Mel Fischer

Mel Fischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Those are good looking bells, it's always enjoyable to see the decorations from yesteryear.  Thanks for posting the pictures.

Mel

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts!

I live in my own little world. But it's ok,.... they know me here.

#16 Allen L.

Allen L.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

Those are so cool!  I would love to see pictures of them lit up.  Take really good care of them.  It's hard to find old commercial decorations like that. :)

I wasn't going to let anybody know this, until I could take pictures, but I have (4) blow mold 27" bells and (4) blow mold 32" lanterns.  I bought these from World Class Christmas Display many years ago.  I plan to use the lanterns at my house this year, and the bells at my parents house.  I will post pictures after Thanksgiving.

The blow mold bells and lanterns look these:

#17 poloron christmas

poloron christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

Here's my fiberglass bells

Attached Files

#18 poloron christmas

poloron christmas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

Inside pic

Attached Files

#19 Allen L.

Allen L.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

Inside pic

Wow!  I have never seen them in fiberglass. Those are cool!  How did you find them?

I like the way you have them on the porch.  :cool:

Just to let you know I have information on who manufactured these Bells. I bought a CD with vintage catalogs of old Christmas decoration manufacturers. The vintage catalogs show home and municipal decorations starting from the 1920's thru the 1990's.  You could buy the Bells in fiberglass or plastic.  I don't have the CD with me but I will post the name of the company later. 

You can buy this CD by going to "www.blow-molded.com" and select the word "catalogs" or click the link below:

http://www.blow-mold...m/Catalogs.html

Allen :)

#20 Allen L.

Allen L.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

Your Bells and Mine are shown in a catalog from:

Garrison - Wagner Company

2018 Washington Ave.

St, Louis, MO

The 1950 and 1955 catalog shows the Bells with two choices. ("Translucent Fiberglass" or "Translucent Plastic")

The 1964 catalog shows the "Translucent Plastic" Bells only.

They stopped making the Fiberglass Bells somewhere between 1955 and 1964.

I'm not sure if Garrison - Wagner manufactured the Bells or just sold them for another manufacturer.  My 1965 Bells and C9 Lights, with Trans-glo Green Garland, were originaly purchased from General Plastic, which is now known as GP Designs Inc., by Dunavant's Mall which has been long gone.

Allen

Edited by Allen L., 02 January 2014 - 02:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users