See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

Led Rectifier Need Replaced?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Buckeyelights

Buckeyelights

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

Santa brought me an LED Keeper and it's great.  Thanks Dennis.

I have a couple strands of sealed LED's that the entire strand is out.  When I check the strands with the LED Keeper, the entire strand lights up; not even a dim bulb.  So I'm guessing the rectifier is bad?

If I replace the rectifier, do I have to use one from the same color set of lights?

With the LED Keeper I don't foresee having any salvaged sets. Where do you or is there even a place to buy the rectifier?  My guess is no.  Do I just scrap these 2 strands of LED's?

Tks!

Joe

#2 SteveMaris

SteveMaris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:Christmas vacation.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:41 AM

Joe it depends on the color, total number of lights, etc.. 

The rectifier "blobs" also have resistors in them.

You can make a new FW rectifier with diodes, and then use the specific resistor needed. 

Or you can keep the strings as sacrificial lambs for other strings that have lights go out in them. 

This is a write up that I use to "build" custom strings or repair others.

Attached Files

#3 Buckeyelights

Buckeyelights

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for sharing the string builder instructions.  I can also use your instructions to shorten some strands of C7 LED's on my roof line.  It's been tough to hide them.

#4 LED Keeper

LED Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:Too many to post

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

If all the LED's light up there are several things that can cause this failure.

1. You have one bad fuse.

2. One of the extension cord wires in the string is cut or open, i had one string this season that one wire on the plug end pulled loose inside the plug housing.  Check the continuity of the connections between the plug and receptacle using a DVM.

3. A diode or resistor is open or a connection in the blob is bad.  This is the hardest part to troubleshoot and fix. If this is the case you now have a sacrificial string.

Inventor of the "LED Keeper"

http://www.ledkeeper.com/home/

My videos

http://www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry

#5 Buckeyelights

Buckeyelights

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

I replaced the fuses, that didn't help. :(

Didn't notice any issue with the plug, but I'll switch it with another plug, that's easy enough to do.

My bet is that something is wrong inside the blob.

Dennis, thanks again for developing the LED Keeper, it's now an essential tool for anyone investing in LED's.  I don't hesitate to throw away an old set of incandescant mini's, but it hurts to throw away an expensive strand of LED's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users