See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

C9 Lights On Tree

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jg18

jg18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

I was in a mall the other day and noticed they have incandescent c9 lights in their artificial trees. I have a large tree in my home (10 feet) and was looking to brighten it up. Is it safe to use c9 incandescent bulbs on an artificial tree?

#2 christmas_nut

christmas_nut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:I can't pick a favorite. Every Christmas that I get to spend with my family is my favorite.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

I can't see an issue with it, however I wouldent leave it on while you were out of the house.
You could always go with the true glow led lights. They look like traditional bulbs if thats the look you want.

10000_red_green_1.gif

#3 timmydatoolman

timmydatoolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

In my experience c9 incandescent will melt an artificial tree. Could the lights at the mall have been c9 LED ?

#4 blndnwo2luv

blndnwo2luv

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:08 AM

C9 incand are ment for outdoor use only. The amount of heat that they generate will cause you make different headaches.

#5 vkjohnson

vkjohnson

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:45 AM

for the sake of mentioning something cool...I saw a Mythbusters episode where they bundled 10 C9 strands together into one massive string and put it on a dry, real tree. It never came close to catching on fire. That was a fun episode. haha

Victor

Paxton, IL

www.LightingUpPaxton.com OVER 500 AMPS FOR 2014. ALL INCANS!
lor_336_red_red.gif

140000_green_green_0.gif

#6 Justin Smith

Justin Smith

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:Christmas Vacation

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

I have C9's on the tree in my house.  As long as you use the newer ones you won't have a problem.

6,000 Lights and counting!

Old School Static! With some Allen-Bradley controls this year!

#7 Nicholas Denney

Nicholas Denney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:The Last Chimney of Christmas Eve

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

C9s are for outdoor *and* commercial-scale Christmas displays like the large wreaths, trees and other installations you'll see in public places... both indoors and out.
I personally wouldn't use C9 until a 15 foot tree that was at least 7 foot diameter at the base.
You want the ornaments, bulbs and tree to maintain distinct size ratios with each other. Bulbs as big as or bigger than your smallest ornaments won't look right.

Since you're using an artificial tree, I'd be very careful - who knows what you have. The manufacturer is your best bet for information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users