See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

Garden Ridge: Snoopy And 48" Snowman (original Poloron) Observation

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Empire Fanatic

Empire Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:06 AM

Anyone else notice the Gen. Foam Snoopy and 48" Snowman is made using a different kind of plastic that makes them pure white? I have a 12" Empire Snowman with the 1968 date and the original black hat (they used red beginning in the '70s) that is made out of the same kind of plastic. The paint job on the 48" Snowman was horrible. I wonder if a different kind of paint should be used on this different kind of plastic? Anyone know any info about the different kinds of plastics? FYI - I checked the snowman and I could still see Poloron stamped on the back near the plate as well as the classic Poloron UL symbol (UL inside a circle) near the base. Kinda cool despite the horrible paint job.
Steve

#2 cars06

cars06

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

WOW that is kinda cool.. got any pictures of the snowman?
HOW\'D YOU DO THAT??

#3 Guest_A.F.NUT_*

Guest_A.F.NUT_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:41 PM

I did notice the plastic, but they have always done that. Last years giant Santa face was made from the solid white plastic. I always assumed it just had to do with how the plastic was blown. I stood in Garden Ridge and shook my head at what they did to that poor snowman, that green is sprayed so dark it almost looks black not to mention how it was all seeped and gobbed around the edges! I also opened the box of wisemen to find that they no longer come with the jewels, :angry: they just left the area un punched and painted over, talk about cheap! They being a plastic company could make those for pennies! And with the price of this stuff and the economy they better be careful!

#4 blowmold guy

blowmold guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

So are they selling the new snoopy at Garden Ridge?
Posted Image
customized with 12 SSR's, 60+ amp capactivy.

www.blowmoldkid.weebly.com

Jacob key

#5 Guest_A.F.NUT_*

Guest_A.F.NUT_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:34 AM

So are they selling the new snoopy at Garden Ridge?

They are! But there were not a lot left and I know a few other molders were heading there!

#6 blowmold guy

blowmold guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:18 AM

Thanks I'll run to my garden ridge tmr, do u know the price?
Posted Image

Jacob key

#7 Guest_A.F.NUT_*

Guest_A.F.NUT_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:12 AM

Thanks I'll run to my garden ridge tmr, do u know the price?

$59.99

#8 blndnwo2luv

blndnwo2luv

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

I got my Snoopy over the weekend and while I will never get rid of him I have noticed that there are some spots on him that the plastic is real real real real thin. The first Snoopy I actually picked up at my Garden Ridge had a dent in his head. I had to put it back because for $60, I want my Snoopy in as perfect condition as I can get him.

#9 bigballo

bigballo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

I got my Snoopy over the weekend and while I will never get rid of him I have noticed that there are some spots on him that the plastic is real real real real thin. The first Snoopy I actually picked up at my Garden Ridge had a dent in his head. I had to put it back because for $60, I want my Snoopy in as perfect condition as I can get him.

we found the same thing around the nose,plastic was real thin and dented
Daryl

#10 cars06

cars06

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

Mine had a dent but it isnt real thin anywhere.

Jim
HOW\'D YOU DO THAT??

#11 sledbet

sledbet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:47 AM

Hi! Yes, I was excited to see blowmolds at Garden Ridge this year but the paint jobs I saw were poor. My Garden Ridge also had a couple of blowmolds in the Halloween section. I picked up a 3 pumpkin stack blowmold, it's about 21 inches high, for 20 bucks. The paint job was acceptable but then I noticed the plastic wasn't solid orange in spots. You can see streaks of orange mixed with white, as if they didn't mix the color into the plastic thoroughly.
Concerned about how it would look lit up, I took the pumpkin to the Christmas tree section and plugged him in. He looked ok enough, so I bought him. I can't understand why the manufacturer won't put out a better quality product.
I saw the Snoopy. He is cute but the paint job was just...I won't pay 60 bucks for something I have to repaint myself.
Blow molds: I want 'em, I love 'em, I want more of 'em!

Come visit me at my cooking blog: http://www.foodbasics101.com

#12 cars06

cars06

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

The paint wasnt that bad on mine. I just think folks looking at them from 50 or 100 feet will notice or care if the paint isnt perfect?

Jim
HOW\'D YOU DO THAT??

#13 Rita D

Rita D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

I was at my local GR yesterday and I was shocked! They had LOTS of boldmolds for Christmas. I just couldn't believe it. They had: Snoopy, lamp post, LARGE snowman, dancing santa, 12" santa, 12" snowman, penguin w/scarf, funny reindeer, small soldiers, nutcracker, large candy cane with base, (santa's best?) angel, elf w/santa workshop sign, nativity, and 3 wisemen. AND, they had 2 whole extra shelves open for more. Last year all they had was the 3 piece nativity. So you can understand why I was so shocked to see that many molds.

It was good to see them here in Houston, but I was VERY disappointed with the paint job - LOTS of overspray. In fact on the "santa workshop" sign, the front of the sign had so much overspray, the letters didn't stand out.

I've only been collecting for a very short time, and the molds I buy online were produced years ago. So, seeing these "fresh" molds was a disappointment for me as the quality was not there. If GF hopes to get "new" people interested in molds, they need to pay attention to what's going out their doors.

Edited by Rita D, 22 September 2011 - 07:20 PM.

#14 santabob

santabob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

Yea I picked up the reindeer, snoopy, santa's workshop elf, 12 inch santa with blue gift and teddy bear,12 inch snow man, penguin.
Is your house on fire, Clark? No, Aunt Bethany, those are the Christmas lights

#15 santabob

santabob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

The paint wasnt that bad on mine. I just think folks looking at them from 50 or 100 feet will notice or care if the paint isnt perfect?

Jim

I agree just wish the tree lite up.
Is your house on fire, Clark? No, Aunt Bethany, those are the Christmas lights

#16 Guest_A.F.NUT_*

Guest_A.F.NUT_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:21 AM

Rita you are so very right! It is so nice to see new molds in the store! But looking at the

I was at my local GR yesterday and I was shocked! They had LOTS of boldmolds for Christmas. I just couldn't believe it. They had: Snoopy, lamp post, LARGE snowman, dancing santa, 12" santa, 12" snowman, penguin w/scarf, funny reindeer, small soldiers, nutcracker, large candy cane with base, (santa's best?) angel, elf w/santa workshop sign, nativity, and 3 wisemen. AND, they had 2 whole extra shelves open for more. Last year all they had was the 3 piece nativity. So you can understand why I was so shocked to see that many molds.

It was good to see them here in Houston, but I was VERY disappointed with the paint job - LOTS of overspray. In fact on the "santa workshop" sign, the front of the sign had so much overspray, the letters didn't stand out.

I've only been collecting for a very short time, and the molds I buy online were produced years ago. So, seeing these "fresh" molds was a disappointment for me as the quality was not there. If GF hopes to get "new" people interested in molds, they need to pay attention to what's going out their doors.

Rita you are so very right! Seeing the new molds in the stores again is great. But seeing them makes me appreciate my old ones! I stood in Garden Ridge trying to pick out the two best Snoopys, this one had paint missing on his nose, this one on the hat, this one had green all over the place. it was impossible to choose and they both light like crap. I will put up with this and redo, but your average decorator is not. You can look right at them and tell they won't illuminate, the dripping paint, massive overspray is going to turn people right off. I wish GF had some pride, they are so close! And yet so far! I want them to thrive and hopefully get other companies making molds again, but seeing their product and in these tough times I have my doubts.

#17 blowmoldman

blowmoldman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

A.F.NUT fill out an aplication for the blow mold line at gen foam.

#18 Bob Moody

Bob Moody

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:53 AM

I was at the GR today on 242 (Woodlands) and they did have quite a few molds ... but I have to agree with you. They are disappointing. I did check and they are stamped General Foam. This is the first time in years that I have seen blowmolds on the store shelves.... But $60... a little too steep ... Merry Christmas to all ..
Merry Christmas

Bob and Sandra Moody
http://moodychristmas.weebly.com

#19 blowmold guy

blowmold guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

Anybody know the price of all the molds at garden ridge?

Posted Image

Jacob key

#20 jasonquick

jasonquick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:56 AM

I stopped at our local GR yesterday and had a look - they had all the aforementioned molds, plus the Santa's Best reindeer. And the shelves were quite full. I was flabbergasted to see the Poloron snowman there. I might pick one of them up despite the underwhemlimg paint job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users