See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

Help: Displaying The Empire Santa Sleigh And Reindeer

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 zombi

zombi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

Hello everyone,

Over the summer, I was able to pick up an Empire Santa Sleigh as well as 7 Reindeer blowmolds.

I've always wanted to display these pieces on the roof of my house, but I'm not really sure how.

In the winter time, it tends to get quite windy, and I'm not sure how I can properly secure the blowmolds to my roof without them getting knocked over.

If anyone has any tips on how to secure these pieces to a roof, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

#2 zombi

zombi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

Bump!

No one has any tips?

#3 theslamdunkking

theslamdunkking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:31 PM

I wanted to do the same, but ended up hoisting them up on conduit poles to get them off the ground. You can see pictures of the finished product on my website. Good luck!
Jesus is the reason for the season!

#4 Deeny Dine

Deeny Dine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

My sleigh and reindeer are secured to two PCV pipes that are then
held in place with sandbags. The pipes run along the ridge.

My nativity that is located on a smaller roof over the garage, is secured
with zip ties to half sheets of plastic lattice. Actually last year this was the
most secure, and not one mold moved during the entire season.

#5 milyfaz

milyfaz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:22 PM

did your blowmolds come with stands? there are two styles one that is like a tripod with four prongs and the second and vastly better is the older which are almost a square. i'm not terribly handy and it took some trial and error to get it right. what i do is i put a sheed of ply wood on the roof and with twine i staple them down. at first i tried to put bricks in side of santa but he just kept falling over lol. also i find it's better if you don't connect them with the red straps, i thought it would make them more secure, but it dosen't they fall down easier. a blowmold display takes a lot of maintence, my daughter helps with the raindeer, she'll climb out on the roof if they need straightened out.

#6 Deeny Dine

Deeny Dine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:59 AM

If you do a search there are fun threads about flying santa and his sleigh, and others about securing
molds to the roof, all of which helped me when I was working on ideas.

#7 zombi

zombi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:01 PM

Most of the threads that explain how to do it are defunct. :(

#8 bigballo

bigballo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

I used plywood ,I attached the sleigh to the plywood with plumbers strap 4 pcs 2 on each side of the rails,I attached the the deers to the plywood by bending an L shape at the base of each leg of the stand and again used plumbers strap to attach,on the corner of each sheet of plywood I put eye bolts and ran tie wire from the eye bolts to the gutter nails two going to the front of the house and two wires going to the back of the house,I used short extension cords mounted to the plywood to plug each piece in and to make plugging from one sheet of plywood to the next a little easier.really the only problem we had was getting eveything back down(usually had snow on the roof little treaky to slide 4 sheets of plywood of without damaging anything lol) hope that helps if you have any questions shoot me an email.good luck
Daryl

#9 TED

TED

Cool member

• Members
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

Over the summer, I was able to pick up an Empire Santa Sleigh as well as 7 Reindeer blowmolds.
I've always wanted to display these pieces on the roof of my house, but I'm not really sure how.

If anyone has any tips on how to secure these pieces to a roof, I would greatly appreciate it.

One of the replies said that most of the old threads on how to do this are gone. I'll try to summarize what I remember from the old posts. Most of them suggested a method something like this. Start by making a frame base for the reindeer from 2x4s. Use 2 long 2x4s for the runners and connect them with some cross pieces. (If you like you can make the cross pieces from something smaller such as 1x2s.) What you want is something that looks like a ladder. This will sit directly on the roof so you may want to take some strips of carpet and pad the underneath side of the runners to protect the shingles. The width of the "ladder" should be the same width as the wire stands that the reindeer sit on. Once you have your frame built you will need to attach the reindeer to it. Do this by bending about 1 inch of the bottom of the wire stands to approximately a 90 degree angle. (You want the 1" part to be perpendicular to the ground so adjust the angle as necessary.) Next bend the 1" segment in half sideways to make a loop. This loop will be secured to the wood frame by a screw. You may need to put a washer on the screw first so that the loop doesn't pull out from under the screw. Depending on your roof you may want to have 2 separate frames so that one can go on each side of the peak. That is the method for having the reindeer in a single file configuration. A variation on this method could be to have the reindeer in rows of 2. Since you have an odd number of deer you could have a single lead reindeer (Rudolph obviously!) followed by rows of 2. For rows of 2 you could make two "ladder" style frames and put them side by side or you could make one wider frame with 3 or 4 rails. (With a 4 rail frame you could make the 2 middle rails longer in the front for Rudolf to attach to.) As for the sleigh you could make the frame long enough for the reindeer and sleigh or make a separate frame for it. Alternately, the sleigh could sit directly on the roof with some kind of weights inside. You will probably need to weigh down the reindeer frame with some sandbags, bricks, cement blocks, or some other type of weight. This should give you a basic idea that you can adapt to whatever type of materials you have available to you. Be sure to post some pictures of whatever you come up with!

TED

P.S. Now you need to scare up 2 more reindeer! ;)

Edited by TED, 02 October 2011 - 12:13 PM.

#10 cars06

cars06

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

On the topic of the search feature EVERYTHING I search comes back with "all the words in your search contain 3 or less leters". Just now searched "santa clause" and it says the same thing.

Displaying the reindeer and sleigh can also be done by running a cable through them.. How to's on this seem to be lost also : (

Jim
HOW\'D YOU DO THAT??

#11 cars06

cars06

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

actually it says.... "One or all of your search keywords were below 3 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords."

I'd have just edited my other post but the edit feature doesnt work for me either...

Jim

HOW\'D YOU DO THAT??

#12 TED

TED

Cool member

• Members
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

Displaying the reindeer and sleigh can also be done by running a cable through them.. How to's on this seem to be lost also

I do remember some discussions about suspending a sleigh and reindeer in the air by running a cable through them. (I believe that Scott Loftus does his that way or at least did at that time.) I didn't think about the cable method because the original question in this thread was about how to display them on a rooftop. While you "could" use the cable method I can't see any reason for it in this case. Besides having to drill a bunch of (unnecessary) holes in the sleigh and reindeer there would be the problem of finding something to attach the cables to in such a way that the sleigh and reindeer would end up on the roof. However, you might be able to come up with something cool like having them in either a "landing on" or a "taking off" configuration from the roof. (So I guess what I'm trying to say is, "On second thought it could be a good idea if you are feeling creative!")

As for the search feature it could just be a glitch from the installation of the updated forum software. If that is the case then hopefully it will be corrected some time in the (near??) future.

TED

Edited by TED, 07 October 2011 - 11:46 AM.

#13 cars06

cars06

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

This IS all about being creative isn't it?? : )
HOW\'D YOU DO THAT??

#14 zombi

zombi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:11 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have any pictures of this setups?

Also, any recommended places to get new stands for my reindeer. It appears that one of the them came with a stand :\

#15 Elaine F

Elaine F

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:33 PM

Well, mine isn't on the roof, but I'll throw in the first picture in this thread! :)

Posted Image

I have 7 reindeer now (hoping to get 2 more before this year's set up). The neighbor has a huge pine tree just inside his side of the property line. I'm hoping to run a cable from his tree to a higher point on my roof, so Santa and sleigh will hopefully be hovering over the roof this year!
Posted Image
My motto is that if it doesn't move, put lights on it. If it does move, sneak up behind it and put lights on it anyways.
(Motto borrowed from Bob Van Streader, cuz it just made me laugh!)

My stained glass shop: http://beyond-the-looking-glass.com

#16 blowmoldman

blowmoldman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

mu uncle has the complete gv set, he is a big decorator also, he lived in a court, and would run a cable 40-50 feet in the air to the house across the street and run the santa and sleigh from his houst to my grandparents. i wish i had a picture.

#17 robcat

robcat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

Well, mine isn't on the roof, but I'll throw in the first picture in this thread! :)

Posted Image

I have 7 reindeer now (hoping to get 2 more before this year's set up). The neighbor has a huge pine tree just inside his side of the property line. I'm hoping to run a cable from his tree to a higher point on my roof, so Santa and sleigh will hopefully be hovering over the roof this year!

Great picture! That's exactly the way I want to display mine. A few questions. Best to use rope or cable? How to keep sleigh and reindeer in place and not slip down? Thanks.

#18 Elaine F

Elaine F

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

Here are a few of the pictures I posted before. I use cable because it's stronger, and won't stretch as much as rope. To keep the deer and sleigh from sliding down the cable, I wrapped a small piece of foam around the cable, and held it on with a tie wrap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
My motto is that if it doesn't move, put lights on it. If it does move, sneak up behind it and put lights on it anyways.
(Motto borrowed from Bob Van Streader, cuz it just made me laugh!)

My stained glass shop: http://beyond-the-looking-glass.com

#19 robcat

robcat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

Thanks!!

#20 Pataki

Pataki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:27 AM

Here are a few of the pictures I posted before. I use cable because it's stronger, and won't stretch as much as rope. To keep the deer and sleigh from sliding down the cable, I wrapped a small piece of foam around the cable, and held it on with a tie wrap.

I remember looking for this before as well, thx for reposting it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users