See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
- - - - -

Rosbro Plastics Snowman

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mr. Griswold_*

Guest_Mr. Griswold_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

For anyone interested in Rosbro Plastics I thought I would share my latest find. I was fortunate enough today to locate a Rosbro Plastics Snowman Candy Cane Holder. I believe he is from 1950s possibly early 1960s. I found him at a estate sale along with a large collection of Marx toys which I also collect. Does anyone else have any Rosbro Plastics in their collection?

Attached Files

#2 hoyt clagwell

hoyt clagwell

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:03 AM

Dude! No way! I found one of those a weekend or two ago, but it had no maker's mark or anything by which to identify it. Mine has a broom and shovel in his hand, and the back is open to hold whatever. You called it a candy cane holder and that would clearly work, but I wrongly assumed that it was a toothpick holder because the implements he's holding are a little bit bigger than toothpicks. I like it because it's a snowman made of plastic, even though I won't be able to shove a lightbulb inside it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I notice that we both seem to be missing the end of the snowman's pipe; or is that a cigar?
I wish you a hopeful Christmas...

#3 Guest_Mr. Griswold_*

Guest_Mr. Griswold_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

Hey Hoyt great find as well!! As far as his mouth its a cigar so he is complete no missing parts. There are markings on him but you are gonna need great eye sight or a magnifying glass. In the opening ridgeline of his sack on his back behind his head there are tiny tiny letters that will say Rosbro Plastic. Now that you know who makes him you can research the very few others they made including a Halloween Snowman in the same mold. They sell fairly high and they definatly have value so keep him safe thats a great find! Now I am going to need to find the shovel and broom :)

#4 hoyt clagwell

hoyt clagwell

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

Hey Hoyt great find as well!! As far as his mouth its a cigar so he is complete no missing parts. There are markings on him but you are gonna need great eye sight or a magnifying glass. In the opening ridgeline of his sack on his back behind his head there are tiny tiny letters that will say Rosbro Plastic. Now that you know who makes him you can research the very few others they made including a Halloween Snowman in the same mold. They sell fairly high and they definatly have value so keep him safe thats a great find! Now I am going to need to find the shovel and broom :)

Excellent eyesight is something that I definitely was NOT blessed with; I'll have to check him again. Wow, good to know he's valuable. I had been letting him languish and roll around the back seat of my car; most of my purchases are MUCH bigger and easier not to miss.

#5 Mel Fischer

Mel Fischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:51 AM

Cory & Steve, your snowmen are shown on page 79 of "Plastic Novelties & Toys of the '40s, '50s, and '60s" by Jean Rossi. The caption reads "E. Rosen snowman smoking cigar with broom and shovel. 1950's, 5" x 3.25". The Rosbro company was started in 1946 by Bert Brown, Samuel Rosen's chemical engineer, and the company name Rosbro stood for a combination of the names Rosen and Brown, this information is from page 12 of the same book.

It is my understanding that they were sold as candy containers with candy in the bags.

Mel
It's what you learn after you know it all that counts!

I live in my own little world. But it's ok,.... they know me here.

#6 hoyt clagwell

hoyt clagwell

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

Thanks, Mel! I do love me some plastic.

#7 Guest_Mr. Griswold_*

Guest_Mr. Griswold_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

Thank you Mel I appreciate the info. Mel you happen to have any Rosbro items in your collecton?

#8 Guest_A.F.NUT_*

Guest_A.F.NUT_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

I have two of those also. I always thought it was a pipe in his mouth that was broken off. Their a great little piece. I also have this same snowman in a larger size that holds a bubble light. I am not sure if he is by Rosbro? I know my snowman was stored with his cord wrapped around him and he has many imperfections in the plastic where it touched as the chemicals in the plastic and wire reacted and caused damage. But that just adds to his vintage look. Give me these old Christmas decorations anyday!

#9 scotty2403

scotty2403

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:01 AM

I have two of those also. I always thought it was a pipe in his mouth that was broken off. Their a great little piece. I also have this same snowman in a larger size that holds a bubble light. I am not sure if he is by Rosbro? I know my snowman was stored with his cord wrapped around him and he has many imperfections in the plastic where it touched as the chemicals in the plastic and wire reacted and caused damage. But that just adds to his vintage look. Give me these old Christmas decorations anyday!

I totally agree with you A.F. Nut. Vintage Christmas decorations are the best! :)

#10 Mel Fischer

Mel Fischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:29 AM

Thank you Mel I appreciate the info. Mel you happen to have any Rosbro items in your collecton?

Cory, I have not gotten involved in the Rosbro, Miller Lites, etc decorations due to space limitations for storage of them. We do have a couple of small snowmen that I have not been able to locate for a couple of years now and one could possibly be a Rosbro but I can not confirm who made it until I find them again, the second one is a Miller Electric one that was made from the Rosbro mold and is lighted. That snowman does have a pipe instead of a cigar and is shown on page 123 of the Jean Rossi book, the Rosbro version is shown on page 79 along with the one with the cigar. I have been somewhat looking for them during the couple of years so that I can take pictures of them to add to our records. Someday we will come across them. As you know, we went to California for a while recently and while there I was informed that I am the recipient of a nice inheritance, so maybe now I can add a new building for storage and start adding some of those older decorations to our collection along with some flatbacks that I would love to have.

BTW, as I recall, Diane told me that you occassionally get over here in our neck of the woods, if so, we would be very pleased if you could stop by for a visit and we would be happy to show you our collection. There's nothing I like better then visiting about blow molds and other decorations.

Also, I did receive your email that you sent while we were gone and will be replying to it soon.

Mel

#11 Mel Fischer

Mel Fischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:41 AM

Hey there Tom, Rosbro made two versions of that snowman, one with a cigar and one with a pipe, an easy way to tell which snowman you have is by looking at his left hand, the cigar one has a hole in it for the broom and shovel and the pipe one does not have a hole in it. Do you know who made your snowman with the bubble light? Is it about 7 1/2" high? If so, my guess would be that he was made by Royalite. Could you post pictures of your snowmen, possibly in a new thread?

Mel

#12 Guest_A.F.NUT_*

Guest_A.F.NUT_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:01 AM

Hey there Tom, Rosbro made two versions of that snowman, one with a cigar and one with a pipe, an easy way to tell which snowman you have is by looking at his left hand, the cigar one has a hole in it for the broom and shovel and the pipe one does not have a hole in it. Do you know who made your snowman with the bubble light? Is it about 7 1/2" high? If so, my guess would be that he was made by Royalite. Could you post pictures of your snowmen, possibly in a new thread?

Mel

Ok Mel, mine have the hole in them, I always wondered what was to go in there. I do not know who made my snowman with the bubble light. I do have the Santa also he is marked by Royalite, I always wondered if Royal made the snowman or not. I need to see if I have any pics of them in my files I am notr sure if I do been more concentrating on pics of the blowmolds it's hard keeping up!

#13 Mel Fischer

Mel Fischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:46 AM

Ok Mel, mine have the hole in them, I always wondered what was to go in there. I do not know who made my snowman with the bubble light. I do have the Santa also he is marked by Royalite, I always wondered if Royal made the snowman or not. I need to see if I have any pics of them in my files I am notr sure if I do been more concentrating on pics of the blowmolds it's hard keeping up!

Your Royalite Santa & snowman with the bubble light come from the "Royalite Jolly Christmas Characters" set, I do not know if there were any more characters in the set. I did a bit more checking and the Santa is 7 1/2" tall and the snowman should be 8" tall. Royalite also made a version of the Santa with a C7 bulb in his hand and a tree in his hand. They made the snowman with a tree in his hand and versions with red mittens and white mittens. I don't know at this time if they made the snowman with the C7 bulb in his hand. Both the Santa and the snowman with the plastic tree light up inside. Those Santa's and snowmen are shown in the Jean Rossi book on pages 126 & 127.

The "Plastic Novelties & Toys" book is a great reference for a lot of the Rosen/Rosbro, Royalite, Irwin, etc. toys and decorations. I had the good fortune of receiving our copy of the book as a gift from my good friend Tim Ewing. "Holiday Plastic Novelties the Styrene Toys" by Charlene Pinkerton is another good reference book for these old toys and decorations.

Mel

#14 Guest_Mr. Griswold_*

Guest_Mr. Griswold_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

Mel I almost bought that book a month or so back and now I wish I had. I will try and get a copy for future reference.

#15 Guest_Mr. Griswold_*

Guest_Mr. Griswold_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

Today while out at yard sales I stumbled onto yet another Rosbro Plastics piece. I just thought I would share this one with you all as well. Santa is actually missing his snow shoes but I had to get him anyways since I had never seen one in person.

Posted Image

#16 attic-things

attic-things

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:1983 Star Wars ewok village

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

That is a great find he also comes with skies. If anyone ever has any questions on Rosbro items feel free to ask me I have a very large collection myself. ERRRRR this was not intended I had pics of your santa that you found and with me behind this computer I was only able to get the back side of one of them. I give up now on posting pics here.  It is actually a great find did they have and Halloween or Easter Rosbro? I wish the yard sales were I live would have stuff like this!

picsofhouse005_zps223a502a.jpg

picsofhouse016_zps6db85981.jpg 

check-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.png

loading.gif

loading.gif
picsofhouse014_zps81cf07ba.jpg

check-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.pngcheck-big.png

loading.gif
picsofhouse015_zpsa03b7a08.jpg

err im awful at this with photobucket and getting pics on forums.

Edited by attic-things, 16 May 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#17 Deeny Dine

Deeny Dine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

Wonderful collection, did it start with one Santa? Do you mainly collect Christmas? I have a few of those pieces, but nothing close to what you have.

#18 attic-things

attic-things

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:55 AM

That is not even a small fraction of the rosbro collection. Maybe 2 percent I dont have rosbro collection up yet on my facebook yet. http://forums.planet...day-collection/   That link kinda tells a bit of the background about me. Im kinda new here and had problems with the pics I wanted on the collection. What im actually sitting on/working to move is a super collection of vintage items. Im going to say about 2k if not more of just rosbro plastics. Me and another member here last night sat down and traded pics of the collection last night into the wee hours of the night. Had alot of fun with it. I will try my best to get those up on facebook for everyone. I think im also going to be moving alot through a website that I have not built yet lol. If I can be of any help on almost all vintage holiday items on prices what they are please anyone give me a shot im allways willing to help!

#19 Mel Fischer

Mel Fischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:33 AM

That is a great collection, do you have reference books for identifying the different items?  If so, could you share what the titles of some of them are?

Mel

#20 attic-things

attic-things

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

I do have a good bit of reference books ill have to get back to you later today and post all the names I have. Most of the books I do have are older meaning 2008 or earlier. I do have paper work on most of my collection either similar items and what they went for or what my mom paid for them. I watched alot of what was purchased and help organize alot of it. The Easter Rosbro collection that I own is just massive Christmas is preety big but Halloween was were alot of the exitment was for us years ago. I can try to see what I can do later today it is another big yard sale day for me and its preety late lol. I will though get back to you later today on your questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users