See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
- - - - -

Unique Flat Back Santa Celluloid

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mr. Griswold_*

Guest_Mr. Griswold_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

I thought I would share this one since I have never seen it before. I collect alot of vintage/antique toys and radios etc for a hobby. This weekend I was a couple hours north of my home and found myself pulling an old Westinghouse console stereo from a root celler under an old furniture store. Long story short I was talking about my hobby with the store owner and he offered up an amazing stereo I had to have.

While in the root cellar I found this flatback Santa under 2 inches of dust. The owner who is in his 60s stated that when his father owned the store and he was just a boy he recalled Santa in the window every Christmas. He stated that he put Santa down in the cellar around the 70s where he has sat ever since. I asked if Santa came with a price to add him to my collection and he said free. :)

Has anyone seen this particular Santa? He takes 2 standard light bulbs and has no maker marks that I have found (mabye Noma or Royal Electric?). He has a few cracks mostly in the toy sack, but Santa looks amazing when lit. Any info on him if you have seen him before would be great.

Posted Image

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Mr. Griswold_*

Guest_Mr. Griswold_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:35 AM

Posted Image

#3 Deeny Dine

Deeny Dine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:35 PM

I like the flat backs too.

Can anyone tell us how to fix the cracks?

Nice find, and like that price.

#4 Mel Fischer

Mel Fischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

Cory, if the Santa is 48" high, then he was made by/for NOMA and was introduced as new in 1955, he is their catalog #167 in the NOMA US catalogs. In the 1958-1959 NOMA Lites Canada catalogs he was their #577. I know he was still being offered in 1964 but I do not have any information for him after that year.

For anyone interested in old Christmas catalogs, you can find several of the NOMA catalogs on Mark Podmore's CD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item43a764722a

Mel
It's what you learn after you know it all that counts!

I live in my own little world. But it's ok,.... they know me here.

#5 Guest_Mr. Griswold_*

Guest_Mr. Griswold_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

Thanks Mel as always I appreciate the time to write me and get the info. He is indeed 48 inches high and that time period seems to be spot on with what the previous owner stated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users