See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

make fake ice and icicles

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnMartin

JohnMartin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:36 AM

For a non profit fundraising event, I have been challenged to come up with realistic looking fake icicles and ice.Net searching hasn't produced any good inexspensive ways to mass produce these. Has anyone done this or have any ideas to lend? Thanks in advance for your time!
JohnMartin

Future LOR user

#2 Tremor30

Tremor30

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:39 AM

There is a way to pour liquid sugar over ice I think I saw on one of those Cake shows. You might be able to find info on that.
Posted Image
Posted Image+ 2 Firefly's
Joysey Lights Website!

#3 Buckeyelights

Buckeyelights

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

It would help if you described a little bit more of how or where the icicles will be used. Interior or exterior? Will the ice be for a pond? There are some nice ponds made of lights and plastic. But if you're trying to make ice cubes, the pond concept won't work. For icicles, maybe some clear plastic tubing?

Good luck!
Joe

#4 magii

magii

• Members
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

For a non profit fundraising event, I have been challenged to come up with realistic looking fake icicles and ice.Net searching hasn't produced any good inexspensive ways to mass produce these. Has anyone done this or have any ideas to lend? Thanks in advance for your time!

I know that there are several places you can buy fake ice cubes made out of acrylic. http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B0014RB3FY A two pound bag on Amazon is about $20. There are also off the shelf acrylic icicles. http://www.jafgifts....LES_138433.html As far as a DIY solution, use hot glue on a sheet of tinfoil. I did this for a high school musical years ago to create a chandelier. We fed about 500 glue sticks through a couple of high heat guns and squirted out each "jewel" for the chandelier. You could undoubtedly squirt out a few icicles. That might work for ice cubes to but at $20 for a two pound bag I'd probably just buy them. Lots of floral shops stock them too (if you don't want to or can't wait for an online order.)

:: Light Up Lawrence :: www.lightuplawrence.net :: lightuplawrence@gmail.com
A/C - D/C - 232 channels of LOR S2 running D-Light boards, Fireflis, Mighty Minis, and ~15,000 LEDs.

#5 magii

magii

• Members
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

I know that there are several places you can buy fake ice cubes made out of acrylic. http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B0014RB3FY A two pound bag on Amazon is about $20. There are also off the shelf acrylic icicles. http://www.jafgifts....LES_138433.html As far as a DIY solution, use hot glue on a sheet of tinfoil. I did this for a high school musical years ago to create a chandelier. We fed about 500 glue sticks through a couple of high heat guns and squirted out each "jewel" for the chandelier. You could undoubtedly squirt out a few icicles. That might work for ice cubes to but at $20 for a two pound bag I'd probably just buy them. Lots of floral shops stock them too (if you don't want to or can't wait for an online order.)

:: Light Up Lawrence :: www.lightuplawrence.net :: lightuplawrence@gmail.com
A/C - D/C - 232 channels of LOR S2 running D-Light boards, Fireflis, Mighty Minis, and ~15,000 LEDs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users