See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

Best Large Blow Mold Nativity?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 xander35803

xander35803

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

Hi...I've always loved blow molds and this is the first season I've started displaying any outside. Currently I've been concentrating on snowmen (due to the variety of molds available and the fact that it doesn't seem right to have a dozen Santas in your yard). For the off season, I'd like to hunt down and purchase a blow mold nativity set. I want the "large" figures and I'm assuming I'm pretty much limited to tracking down used sets on e-bay (I haven't seen these type of sets for sale anywhere in years). So my question is what's the "best" looking of the large nativity sets? Poloron? Empire? Other? Thanks.

#2 Glenview LIghts

Glenview LIghts

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 11,177 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:///

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

It's almost impossible to answer your question because everyone has different tastes. There are several to choose from. You can get a new life size Nativity. They are being made by General Foam using the steel molds that had been made by Empire. Same set, different manufacturer. Gen Foam also is (or was) remaking the Santas Best Nativity, also a nice choice. And for a time, General Foam was also producing an old set from the molds made by Beco but I have not seen that set on the market (someone else may correct me)

In my opinon, and its only an opinion though, the old Poloron lifesize set is beautiful. I love the attention to detail that Poloron produced and its sculptural quality. To find many of these you will have to keep an eye on Craig's List and ebay, and scour yard and garage sales. Finding an entire set at once on ebay is not likely as many sellers tend to sell the pieces in groups (such as the wisemen separately from the Holy family) or individually.

I've put up a couple of pictures for you of the Poloron life size set (coincidentally, its the set I am using this year, so I admit a bias :) . If you have more questions, I know others will certainly weigh in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40472[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40473[/ATTACH]

Attached Files

Carrie Sansing
The Original Blow Mold Bohemian
www.holidayuniversity.com
www.constantlychristmas.com

#3 cars06

cars06

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

Yeah Carrie thats like asking what is the best color or best tasting food lol
HOW\'D YOU DO THAT??

#4 Guest_Judd_Peiffer_*

Guest_Judd_Peiffer_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

i'd have to agree on the poloron set it is so nice the colors are great and the attention to detail! but at the same time that also why i love the santas best set and why i won both and have both displayed this season....LOL.....!

#5 Elaine F

Elaine F

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

I've put up a couple of pictures for you of the Poloron life size set (coincidentally, its the set I am using this year, so I admit a bias :) . If you have more questions, I know others will certainly weigh in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40472[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]40473[/ATTACH]

Carrie, how big is "life size", i.e., how tall are the Joseph and Mary in your set?
Posted Image
My motto is that if it doesn't move, put lights on it. If it does move, sneak up behind it and put lights on it anyways.
(Motto borrowed from Bob Van Streader, cuz it just made me laugh!)

My stained glass shop: http://beyond-the-looking-glass.com

#6 shawniepooh

shawniepooh

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

I would have to agree the Poloron is the coolest large set. Here is a pic of mine i got off Ebay 3 yrs ago

Attached Files

Shawn Johnson

#7 Brad Caudill

Brad Caudill

Blowmold God

• Members
  • 7,165 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

I need that shepherd still. This year I am having to use the Empire shepherd. I have several nativity sets but by far the Poloron is the best I have.

Official member of the zillion blowmolds club.

http://christmascaro...=4&pictureid=21

#8 hoyt clagwell

hoyt clagwell

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:38 AM

I'm going to put in a plug here for the Mix 'N' Match Nativity. If you like a Joseph from one set but a Mary from another, for instance, why not use both together? As long as they're about the same scale, who cares? Jesus is Jesus! BTW, Carrie and Shawn, that Poloron Nativity does look great; I'm going to have to find that standing shepherd holding a lamb. He would look great with my own MNMN.
I wish you a hopeful Christmas...

#9 xander35803

xander35803

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

Yeah..based on what pix i could find on the internet, the Poloron set looked very nice. Thanks everyone for the inputs.

#10 Glenview LIghts

Glenview LIghts

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 11,177 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:///

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

Carrie, how big is "life size", i.e., how tall are the Joseph and Mary in your set?

Elaine F, here are the dimensions of the figures:

Mary: 34"
Joseph: 36"
Christ Child: 16.75"
Kneeling Wise Man: 37"
Black Bearded Wise Man: 48"
White Bearded Wise Man: 48"
Shepherd: 42"
Lambs: 18.5"

Carrie Sansing
The Original Blow Mold Bohemian
www.holidayuniversity.com
www.constantlychristmas.com

#11 Elaine F

Elaine F

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

Elaine F, here are the dimensions of the figures:

Mary: 34"
Joseph: 36"
Christ Child: 16.75"
Kneeling Wise Man: 37"
Black Bearded Wise Man: 48"
White Bearded Wise Man: 48"
Shepherd: 42"
Lambs: 18.5"

Thank you, Carrie! :)
Posted Image
My motto is that if it doesn't move, put lights on it. If it does move, sneak up behind it and put lights on it anyways.
(Motto borrowed from Bob Van Streader, cuz it just made me laugh!)

My stained glass shop: http://beyond-the-looking-glass.com

#12 mastertech01

mastertech01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:21 AM

I like the GF/Empire lifesize. I added a few camels and a few sheep, and the Santas Best Angel and the Union Star.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by mastertech01, 11 December 2010 - 01:23 AM.

#13 SilverCreedWolf

SilverCreedWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:Adeste Fideles!

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:01 AM

I am partial to my mix-match Nativity (mine has a custom repaint):

GENERAL FOAM'S REPRODUCTION
OF THE BECO LIFESIZE NATIVITY:
Holy Family
Three Wisemen
Kneeling Shepherd and 2 Sheep

POLORON:
Giant Size Standing Shepherd
Ox and Donkey

TPI:
2 Horn Angels

NEW GENERAL FOAM:

Lifesize Camel

UNION:
Giant Star

Attached Files

Joe Tyria
Creed Wolf Productions
CreedWolfPro@aol.com
Facebook | Joe Tyria - Official Fan Page
Kalamazoo, Michigan

#14 MinnesotaMike

MinnesotaMike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

They all look good to me. I really wanted a Nativity this year, but the budget wouldn't allow it.
BOX!

#15 Vlad

Vlad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

I really like that Joe. A nice manger set up, a nativity scene looks best with one IMO. And I love the wise men approaching and the way the whole scene is spread out and not crowded together. Time for me to start collecting pieces for a set, lol.

#16 SilverCreedWolf

SilverCreedWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:Adeste Fideles!

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

I really like that Joe. A nice manger set up, a nativity scene looks best with one IMO. And I love the wise men approaching and the way the whole scene is spread out and not crowded together. Time for me to start collecting pieces for a set, lol.

Thanks!

The all spread out set up is due to some rewired cords on the Wisemen. They burnt out the first year I had them, and spliced it with a longer cord on each Wiseman.

Truth be told, though, I like any Nativity. I collect them. The pic I'm using as my current avatar (as of 12-12-2010 - see below) is of a plaster set that I painted this year. I guess I'm just a Nativity fiend! LOL!

I'll place the pics of said plaster Nativity here in this reply because I won't be keeping it as my avatar all year!

Merry Christmas, all!

Attached Files

Joe Tyria
Creed Wolf Productions
CreedWolfPro@aol.com
Facebook | Joe Tyria - Official Fan Page
Kalamazoo, Michigan

#17 clevelandbucky

clevelandbucky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:02 PM

They all look good to me. I really wanted a Nativity this year, but the budget wouldn't allow it.

Check Fingerhut.com after Christmas they have either a 12 or 9 piece set every year and after Christmas they mark them down. I purchased mine from there several years ago for 65% off the original price.

Justin
Justin W. Dudkiewicz
www.clevelandbucky.com
www.justinwdudkiewicz.webs.com
Twitter- @justinwdudkie

#18 Guest_A.F.NUT_*

Guest_A.F.NUT_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

Which blowmold Nativity set is a hard question. The lifesize Poloron set is a classic set, nice size and so much detail. But the TPI set is almost more detailed, though not as big or traditional with Mary holding Jesus. Santas Best's set is a nice set inbetween those two sets in size. But probably the biggest, Empire/GF lifesise set but it is not as detailed and I always thought the scale was a little off. My favorite set mainly for sentimental reasons the Empire midsize set. Here are a few of my sets, I don't mix and match too much except to add extra shepherds or an animal or two. No matter what your choice, their all nice happy hunting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users