See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

attaching christmas lights to your car.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 xmasguy1960

xmasguy1960

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

I have a daunting task to decorate a car for our local parade. anyone have some qick tips on how I attach the lights to the cars exterior.

Thanks
It is said...When you stop believing in Santa Clause that's when you start getting clothes for Christmas

#2 Dale W

Dale W

• Members
  • 3,812 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:.

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

use reinforced strapping tape. Keep the plugs off the ground. If you use duct tape, it could take the paint off the car (especially if it is a F-150). The strapping tape will hold to your car and will not take the paint off.

/have used this to decorate a truck for a show (in October)

#3 rollsharley

rollsharley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

Painters Masking Tape works well also. There is both Solar Powered light string sets and Battery Powered light string sets that would work well here!

#4 ErnieHorning

ErnieHorning

Ostentatious Member

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

If you use duct tape, it could take the paint off the car (especially if it is a F-150).

Myth Busters tested duct tape to see how strong it really was. They sawed the top and most of the body off of a car and then put it all back together, holding it with nothing more than duct tape. Then they drove it around with several high speed turns on an asphalt track, even launching it in the air trying to shake it apart. It completely held together with nothing flapping even the least bit. Tough stuff!

Why buy new, when you can just Do-It-Yourself.
Disclaimer: If you take any of what I say as non-constructive, it's not how I intended it.

#5 Darlene Pino

Darlene Pino

Beloved

• Members
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:56 AM

If you use LED lights and an inverter, you can plug them right into your car power supply (cigarette lighter).
We lit up a whole float using LEDs and Three Gemmy Trees this way and it worked great.
you might look at suction cup hooks for the windows. i don't know if those 3M removable hooks work or not on cars, as I haven't tried it. When we did use tape, the tape was applied under the inside of the wheel wells and undercarriage of the vehicle, but not on the outside of the vehicle.
DARLENE PINO
Days till Christmas
Albany, Georgia
LightsToMusic.net
13 LOR Controllers, 4 CCR, DMX, Animatronics, Inflatables, Blowmolds and a yard full of lights! since 2007

#6 rameyg

rameyg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

Our PT club will be in the local Christmas parade again this year and I have been testing clear suction cups on my cruiser for the past week. All the cup have stayed on except where there is a sharpe radius on the car. Will be using these this year with LED and inverter. Last year used Christmas lights vecro to attach lights under wheel wells amd along bottom of car. Worked find but was a mess removing taped velcro. Picked up the suction cups at Lowes. Pack of 25 for mini lights was $1.97.

To make sure the cup stay attached be sure the car surface is really clean before applying. Any grit under cup will cause it to pop off.

Hope this helps:cool:

#7 tfischer

tfischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 15,314 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

I would think the Command decorators clips (the kind that come with 20 or so in a single package) would work great and not harm the finish at all.
Tim Fischer
http://www.plymouthlights.com
Visit and Join the Christmas Lights Webring: http://lightwebring.fischersplace.com
Need a webhost? Great hosting starting at $3.99/mo!

#8 rameyg

rameyg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

Sorry about the double post

Edited by rameyg, 18 November 2010 - 07:16 PM.

#9 urthegman

urthegman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

If you use LED lights and an inverter, you can plug them right into your car power supply (cigarette lighter).
We lit up a whole float using LEDs and Three Gemmy Trees this way and it worked great.
you might look at suction cup hooks for the windows. i don't know if those 3M removable hooks work or not on cars, as I haven't tried it. When we did use tape, the tape was applied under the inside of the wheel wells and undercarriage of the vehicle, but not on the outside of the vehicle.

What kind of inverter would you use? Thanks,George

#10 rameyg

rameyg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:19 PM

You can get a 300 watt inverter or smaller that plugs into cig. lighter. Anything much larger would require you to go directly to the battery post.

#11 tfischer

tfischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 15,314 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

You can get a 300 watt inverter or smaller that plugs into cig. lighter. Anything much larger would require you to go directly to the battery post.

Cig lighters are usually on a 20A fuse. 20A @ 12V is 240W, and that assumes nothing else is on the circuit (usually other accessories and lights are as well). My inverter is rated for 400W if hooked to the battery, but recommends no more then 150W from the cig lighter.
Tim Fischer
http://www.plymouthlights.com
Visit and Join the Christmas Lights Webring: http://lightwebring.fischersplace.com
Need a webhost? Great hosting starting at $3.99/mo!

#12 Darlene Pino

Darlene Pino

Beloved

• Members
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:30 AM

One can buy these inverters almost any where, such as Walmart inthe automotive section, any automitive supply store, any electronics store, any motorhome supply store
DARLENE PINO
Days till Christmas
Albany, Georgia
LightsToMusic.net
13 LOR Controllers, 4 CCR, DMX, Animatronics, Inflatables, Blowmolds and a yard full of lights! since 2007

#13 Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:09 PM

When I was in high school, 4 years ago, I had a Christmas tree in the bed of my truck. I put LEDs on in it and everything, it was awesome.

#14 PCguy

PCguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:15 PM

I put Christmas lights on my SUV every year. I have a roof rack and put cable tied to hold it to the rack but then I go down the back of the truck down the back window and down to the bumper and back around. up front I go down the side the front windshield and down the side of the fender next to where the hood opens. on all the glass and metal i use DUCK TAPE...... in Jan. when i remove it I use WD-40 to remove any stickiness the duct tape left then wash the truck after.

I have done this for about 4 years now never a issue and WOW i get all sorts Of comments

BTW i used to use a small 100Watt power inverter pluged into the cig plug but after about 20 minutes the lights would start flashing it wasn't no big enough so now I have I think its a 300watt inverter. and its hard wired to my main power wire coming from the battery. I use a 3 foot drop cord from it to the plug in on the lights on the roof rack. I use normally 2 sets or lights but have used up to 3 before.

Edited by PCguy, 24 November 2010 - 02:19 PM.

Posted Image

#15 urthegman

urthegman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

Cig lighters are usually on a 20A fuse. 20A @ 12V is 240W, and that assumes nothing else is on the circuit (usually other accessories and lights are as well). My inverter is rated for 400W if hooked to the battery, but recommends no more then 150W from the cig lighter.

So Tim that would be about 1.4 amps?

#16 ErnieHorning

ErnieHorning

Ostentatious Member

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:20 PM

150 watts at 12 volts would be 12.5 amps. If the charging system is operating correctly, the voltage would be 13.8 when the engine is running. So 150 watts at 13.8 would be 10.8 amps.

That being said, I believe they mean continuous power. 13.8 volts and 20 amps would be 276 watts. Using the 80% rule you'd be at 220.8 watts. So as long as you averaged 10.8 amps, you could go up to 16 amps for short bursts.

Why buy new, when you can just Do-It-Yourself.
Disclaimer: If you take any of what I say as non-constructive, it's not how I intended it.

#17 jlarson

jlarson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:39 AM

I decerate my truck every year for christmas. I have a 400 watt inverter I use for power. For the light around the hood I use plastic S hooks for holding the lights in place. When they cross the windows I use 3M Wire tie stickers. For the back of of the truck I have a peice of plywood that I mount all the lights and blow molds on.

Thanks
[/quote]

#18 Rita D

Rita D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

For the back of of the truck I have a peice of plywood that I mount all the lights and blow molds on.

OK...now you have to share a few pics of the lights on your truck and especially of the blow molds - LOL!

Edited by Rita D, 02 March 2011 - 02:26 PM.

#19 peppers-palace

peppers-palace

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

I decerate my truck every year for christmas. I have a 400 watt inverter I use for power. For the light around the hood I use plastic S hooks for holding the lights in place. When they cross the windows I use 3M Wire tie stickers. For the back of of the truck I have a peice of plywood that I mount all the lights and blow molds on.

Thanks

I want to see pics of that setup. I bought magnetic c7 light strings for my roof this past christmas.Each socket has a magnet & was so easy to use.The website I got them from also attached them to a car & took video of the ride.
If you look at my signature link for my christmas lights on the roof you can see my lights.

#20 jlarson

jlarson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:13 AM

I want to see pics of that setup. I bought magnetic c7 light strings for my roof this past christmas.Each socket has a magnet & was so easy to use.The website I got them from also attached them to a car & took video of the ride.
If you look at my signature link for my christmas lights on the roof you can see my lights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users