See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

Best way to hang lights on this fence

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Juliancolton

Juliancolton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39425[/ATTACH]

Year after year I try to figure out the best way to hang strings of mini-lights on this fence, so I end up just throwing them up whichever way they'll stay and hope they don't fall. Any thoughts on how I can improve upon this aspect of my display this year?

#2 B_Regal78

B_Regal78

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

If it were me, I might use icicle lights and zip ties (a decorators best friend). If you don't have enough icicle lights, I would make them hang in a swag like pattern, maybe two or three swags between the posts, three levels deep. Again, I would zip tie the lights. I'll go throught 500 to 1000 zip ties a year (maybe more, I reallly don't count 'em).
*** Posted from a wretched defunct desktop PC, with dual floppy drives, a serial port, and a CRT monitor.

#3 Jason Rose

Jason Rose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:12 PM

Yep, Zip ties! Just make sure you get long enough ones otherwise you will have to be attaching 2 together to make it around. However, the longer ones are usually considerably more expensive per 100 so if you are watching your pennies double check to see which way is cheaper. I agree that a "swag" of the lights would be the easiest way to go. It would take a LOT of ties to get mini lights to be even somewhat straight. Vinal fence isn't much fun, I know, I had nearly 1,000 feet I had to put C-7 lights on one time! We ended up using scotch tape! Yes it actually stuck and stayed! Unfortunately it also didn't want to come back OFF of the vinal. However the lights were left on the fence many months past Christmas... Just wasn't any time in the schedule to be messing with them at the time.
Posted Image

Light count? Wow... I can't imigine having the time to actually COUNT them!!!

#4 Darlene Pino

Darlene Pino

Beloved

• Members
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

How about wrapping pvc poles like leaping arches and attache with wire running through and hooked onto the fence posts. that would make it easy to store and you'd only have to wrap them once. You could even use multiple colors and use a controller to have the lights change colors. this design has been discussed in the roof lights discussions.
DARLENE PINO
Days till Christmas
Albany, Georgia
LightsToMusic.net
13 LOR Controllers, 4 CCR, DMX, Animatronics, Inflatables, Blowmolds and a yard full of lights! since 2007

#5 H2Opolo15

H2Opolo15

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:49 PM

Yeah, there is zip ties or you could use electrical tape? I've done that as well
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 tfischer

tfischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:12 AM

I just did my split-rail fence today, same way I've been doing split rail fences for 14 seasons now (at 2 different houses :) )

I just put small nails in, one per rail on each post, then 2 on the rails themselves (splitting the rail into 3rds). Then I just string minis in a straight line by twisting them around the nails. I have it wired so that LOR can control the upper and lower rails individually (I have only 2 rails on mine). During the rest of the year the tiny galvanized nails blend right into the gray weathered cedar. And all I have to do is untwist the lights from the nails and roll them up onto spools. I do about 200' of fence this way each year.

Here's a pic:

Posted Image
Tim Fischer
http://www.plymouthlights.com
Visit and Join the Christmas Lights Webring: http://lightwebring.fischersplace.com
Need a webhost? Great hosting starting at $3.99/mo!

#7 jem5136

jem5136

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:Sitting around the Christmas tree listening to Grandpa tell stories.

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:47 AM

I just did my split-rail fence today, same way I've been doing split rail fences for 14 seasons now (at 2 different houses :) )

I just put small nails in, one per rail on each post, then 2 on the rails themselves (splitting the rail into 3rds). Then I just string minis in a straight line by twisting them around the nails. I have it wired so that LOR can control the upper and lower rails individually (I have only 2 rails on mine). During the rest of the year the tiny galvanized nails blend right into the gray weathered cedar. And all I have to do is untwist the lights from the nails and roll them up onto spools. I do about 200' of fence this way each year.

Here's a pic:

Posted Image

How many stings to you plug into each other? I thought it was only safe to plug 4 into each other safely?

#8 tfischer

tfischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:55 AM

How many stings to you plug into each other? I thought it was only safe to plug 4 into each other safely?

The power feed is in the middle of the run, so the fence is basically split in half. I think it's 3 strings one direction and 4 the other (per rail). Bending the rules a little but not too bad ;)
Tim Fischer
http://www.plymouthlights.com
Visit and Join the Christmas Lights Webring: http://lightwebring.fischersplace.com
Need a webhost? Great hosting starting at $3.99/mo!

#9 Guest_Lightzilla_*

Guest_Lightzilla_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:17 AM

I saw something to do with vinyl siding and a string of mini lights could fit right in with no problem. However this was in Canada & I forgot where I saw this stufff & what it is called.

I use F-channel for my C7 lights and that made putting up the lights real easy. I installed my C6 LEDs on the house using the J-Channel on the house, and everything is straight for the most part and looks very even, and was quick.

So perhaps you should look at your local hardware store at the vinyl siding and see if you can find something that would hold the mini lights. The lights would be straight up unless you lay the vinyl on its side and then the lights would shine straight out.

Just a thought.

#10 Titanium48

Titanium48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:56 PM

Is that really a vinyl fence? I don't think I've ever seen one of those before. For standard wood fences I use a T50 staple gun with 14mm (9/16) staples. They fit the minilight sockets perfectly and hold them all straight and in the same orientation.

#11 Juliancolton

Juliancolton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

Is that really a vinyl fence? I don't think I've ever seen one of those before. For standard wood fences I use a T50 staple gun with 14mm (9/16) staples. They fit the minilight sockets perfectly and hold them all straight and in the same orientation.

It's PVC, but it's the same issue.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I can definitely do zip ties, and I'll look into icicle lights this year.

#12 Toymakr000

Toymakr000

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

I use 12 gauge drop ceiling hanger wire for all kinds of hanging jobs for lights. It's cheap and easy to work with. I would make hooks out of this wire that fit nicely over the fence and provide a secure hook for the lights to hang from. You can take them down when you are done and pack them with the lights. The hook would basically look like a squared off s hook with a large side to go over the rail and a small side to hold the lights. You could probably make 100 of them in an hour with a Leatherman or a pair of pliers with a built in cutter. Home Depot sells the stuff in bundles of 50 6' sticks for $15
Gary Slater
Posted Image
Official LOR Abuser
AC:cool:

#13 basketballmail2

basketballmail2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:White Christmas; How the Grinch stole Christmas; Deck the Halls; Santa Clause

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:22 AM

why not wrap the lights around it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users