See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

Have 60" Poloron mechanical snowman, but need the motor!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 nancycee

nancycee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

I have a 60" poloron mechanical snowman but not the motor! Any ideas of where I could get one? or does anyone have one I could buy? I might be selling the snowman and thought it would be better if it had the motor!

Thanks!

#2 nymark313

nymark313

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

If you sell him, please keep me in mind, I will buy him.
Thanks!
Mark

#3 Kev

Kev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:13 AM

Do you have the mounting bracket, galvanized steel motor housing and drive arm assembly? If not, you will have to have them fabricated. As for the motor itself, you'll need a Brevel Products Corp. Model S or Model J motor. They do show up on eBay for very decent cost from time to time.

77131065.png

Kevin Provost

#4 Scrooge

Scrooge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

I was looking in Google for Brevel motors and found this link (see below) to a previous discussion on this site.

(As far as i could tell, I did not see model s or j motors listed on any of the motor sites)

You have a Poloron, the earlier discussion references a Beco product. Kev suggested the model 'S' or model 'J' motors in both threads. Did Beco and Poloron make the same animated snowmen and santas?

Anyways, there are photos of the motor and bracket to give you an idea what you might be looking for. Might not be correct for your application, but its a place to start and any information is better than nothing.

http://forums.planet...eco-Santa-Motor

#5 cars06

cars06

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

nothing a little metal work and a windshield wiper motor wouldnt fix : )
HOW\'D YOU DO THAT??

#6 Kev

Kev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:30 PM

You have a Poloron, the earlier discussion references a Beco product. Kev suggested the model 'S' or model 'J' motors in both threads. Did Beco and Poloron make the same animated snowmen and santas?

No, Poloron and Beco didn't make the same animated figures. They used the same motors. Both Beco and Poloron used the same series of gear motors for their animated figures. Mel Fischer had me repair his Brevel motor for his Beco Santa and the motor is identical to the "J" and "S" series but is a Model "K". All three motors have the same gearing system and interchangeable parts. One of the large gears in Mel's motor was missing several teeth and I used a gear from a Model "J" to replace it. Any of these three motors can be used on both the Poloron Santa/Snowman and Beco Santa.

Here are some photos of the Brevel Model "S" and the housing that I restored for my friend Carl's Poloron Santa-

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Kev, 08 November 2010 - 08:34 PM.

77131065.png

Kevin Provost

#7 Scrooge

Scrooge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:59 PM

Good job Kev. It appears that you had to drill out and replace the rivits that held the gear box halves together, be be able to replace the gear.

#8 nancycee

nancycee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

Thank you all for the input and pics! I'm searching for the motor but haven't found one yet, but at least I know what to look for! If I don't find it soon I will probably list the snowman on ebay!! THanks all!

#9 VirtualXmas

VirtualXmas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:44 AM

You should be able to easily use a BBQ Spit motor. Easily obtained at garage sales, flea markets, etc.
Doing computerized displays since 1989.

#10 Scrooge

Scrooge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

You should be able to easily use a BBQ Spit motor. Easily obtained at garage sales, flea markets, etc.

Yes, with a little engineering and an ability to make brackets and drill holes i imagine its possible to swap in a non standard motor. Of course doing so takes your motorized santa or snowman from desireable rare collectable status, to functional but with a greatly reduced collectable status.

So, what to do? Wait and search and hope and dream for the day you stumble apon the correct motor/bracket assy for your snowman shell? (could be 'years')...bringing said animated blowmold back to original condition? Do you pay someone else to fix a motor or fabricate a new version of the missing bracket? (could cost $$$$). Or do you say 'darn the torpedoes, full speed ahead' and drill & cut the originial animated blowmold shell, (ruining its collector value), install a bracket made from 2x4's and coathangers with a bbq spit motor, and enjoy your animated blowmold in in your lawn display this winter?

#11 VirtualXmas

VirtualXmas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:09 AM

Or do you say 'darn the torpedoes, full speed ahead' and drill & cut the originial animated blowmold shell, (ruining its collector value), install a bracket made from 2x4's and coathangers with a bbq spit motor, and enjoy your animated blowmold in in your lawn display this winter?

Not quite sure what you've been smoking, but my Holiday Innovations Santa that was originally non-motorized was motorized with a BBQ spit motor and aluminum stock from Menards. It's better and stronger than the original plastic one. It looks professional and works great. Not sure where the 2x4s fit in.

#12 Scrooge

Scrooge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:38 PM

What ive been smoking? Im not sure where that comes from, but i do know that some pureists consider any modifications, repaints, or repairs as a detriment which affects a collectable blowmolds value.

A holiday innovations santa is probably not in the same collectable class with an old beco or poloron item....thus : go a head and cut and modify, you arent going to affect its value too much.

#13 hoyt clagwell

hoyt clagwell

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

I personally would pay more for a working motorized snowman or Santa than one without a motor, even if it were modified with an Evinrude outboard motor hooked up with twine and twist-ties.
I wish you a hopeful Christmas...

#14 VirtualXmas

VirtualXmas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:47 AM

What ive been smoking? Im not sure where that comes from, but i do know that some pureists consider any modifications, repaints, or repairs as a detriment which affects a collectable blowmolds value.

A holiday innovations santa is probably not in the same collectable class with an old beco or poloron item....thus : go a head and cut and modify, you arent going to affect its value too much.

Who said anything was cut or modified? Maybe you couldn't do it without 2x4s, but that doesn't mean there aren't people out there who couldn't do it better than you.

Are you saying a completely faded Poloron is worth more than a professionally restored one? Somehow, I doubt there are many who would agree with you.

Many of the parts used to make these simply no longer exist. Are you saying they should be just thrown away because manufacturing replacement pieces would lower the value of something that's already broken?

#15 Tyler

Tyler

HMFIC

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:DNE

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:50 AM

You don't happen to be Minnysnowta (Minniesnowta?) do you?
-Tyler ...
Posted Image

#16 Guest_A.F.NUT_*

Guest_A.F.NUT_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:17 AM

Who said anything was cut or modified? Maybe you couldn't do it without 2x4s, but that doesn't mean there aren't people out there who couldn't do it better than you.

Are you saying a completely faded Poloron is worth more than a professionally restored one? Somehow, I doubt there are many who would agree with you.

Many of the parts used to make these simply no longer exist. Are you saying they should be just thrown away because manufacturing replacement pieces would lower the value of something that's already broken?

I would agree any mold in original paint is worth more than a restored one, goes true with any antique. My dining room furniture was my great grandmothers and was worth quite a bit with it's old varnish and dings, but since I have no intentions of selling it I refinished it and now can see the beautiful oak under all that, makes no sense but that's how it goes. But sometimes with these mechanical pieces a new motor is better than none and I would be happy to have one with an altered motor but not paint. There is a mechanical snowman on ebay right now and had it's paint not been redone he would have been mine.

#17 VirtualXmas

VirtualXmas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

I would agree any mold in original paint is worth more than a restored one, goes true with any antique.

Of course. But it's a fact of life that objects deteriorate over time. At some point, the collectible gets to a point where you either have to restore it, or it's value will deteriorate faster than if you didn't. Restored collectible cars for example, are worth much more than they would be if left to rust in a junk yard.

#18 Scrooge

Scrooge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:43 PM

Well, for starters ive got 30 years of machining and design experience, so given something to copy i could 'make' a set of brackets that very closely imitated the original. Without something to copy, i could still put together something very professional looking and perfectly functioning without too much damage to the original mold. The '2x4' reference was for the bulk of the population who have zero mechanical skills and would mostly ruin a classic old mold with an evinrude outboard engine and some baling wire. The more of a hack job, the less $$ its worth except to the individual who modified and displays it.

I think that if i had a huge urge to own a mechanical santa, id modify a 3$ garage sale GF mold and leave the Beco for someone who knows what theyre doing.

#19 jimiheadstone

jimiheadstone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

can the Brevel SE motor be used for the blowmolds?

I have quite a few of these motors and they look the same.

#20 Kev

Kev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Refer to my pictures way above, as I said previously, Brevel made many models that were essentially interchangeable with each other.  If it is constructed the same there is no reason it shouldn't work for you.  The Model "SE" is probably a newer upgrade to the Model "S".  Unfortunately they are not easy to find information on on the internet.  If you peruse Ebay however, they will often come up on there for very little.

77131065.png

Kevin Provost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users