See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

New to DMX. Use LOR to control simple RGB LED boards

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 rmturner54

rmturner54

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

Thanks in advance for any help. I have a lot to learn about DMX, so here goes with what I would like to accomplish.

I have some led boards that will operate on 12VDC. Each board has seperate R,G,B led's and each has it's own input. I want to be able to control the colors with LOR. I already know I can use my LOR DC board for this and assign a channel to each color, but am looking for a way to populate less channels and cost an arm and a leg.
I am open to suggestions.
Another thought, would it be easier to populate the boards with RGB LED's . The boards are set up to take either a standard led or superflux piranha's
Posted Image

#2 dmoore

dmoore

HolidayCoro.com

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

Thanks in advance for any help. I have a lot to learn about DMX, so here goes with what I would like to accomplish.

I have some led boards that will operate on 12VDC. Each board has seperate R,G,B led's and each has it's own input. I want to be able to control the colors with LOR. I already know I can use my LOR DC board for this and assign a channel to each color, but am looking for a way to populate less channels and cost an arm and a leg.
Another thought, would it be easier to populate the boards with RGB LED's . The boards are set up to take either a standard led or superflux piranha's

If you will be runnign DMX and RGB - what you need is a three channel, RGB DMX controller. They cost about $6 (yes, I know about the shipping but purchase alot of them and it's not bad):

http://www.aliexpres...EL-3CH-12V.html

An LOR DC board is about $7.50 per channel, the DMX "boxes" are $2 a channel. Then you can just mount the controller TO the device you will be running.

Be aware that to program these, you need a "DMX512 EDITOR" which runs $45 - which you can also get from the same guy that sells the 3 channel DMX modules.

http://www.aliexpres...XID-EDTIOR.html

Here is a sample of a CoroStar with built-in RGB and controller:

http://vimeo.com/13382282

Also, if you've not already joined - checkout www.LoneStarHolidays.com.

Edited by dmoore, 20 July 2010 - 05:45 PM.
changed pricing information.

#3 hbomb341

hbomb341

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

Also, if you've not already joined - checkout www.LoneStarHolidays.com.

DEFENTLY check out LSH if you haven't.

I was looking at placing an order of these and the programer from Ray - if you are intrested in combinging shipping and saving a few bucks.

Harrison

#4 rmturner54

rmturner54

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

Harrison, Ill let u know. I am still learning all about DMX and not sure what to do yet.
Posted Image

#5 ɟɐsʇǝppʎ

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

I have some led boards that will operate on 12VDC. Each board has separate R,G,B led's and each has it's own input. I want to be able to control the colors with LOR. I already know I can use my LOR DC board for this and assign a channel to each color, but am looking for a way to populate less channels and cost an arm and a leg.

For your setup i don't believe you need to goto DMX as you should just control the RGB LEDs directly from your DC board. For you to goto DMX using LOR you would have to invest in an IDMX1000 converter from LOR at a price of US$259 so it doesn't work out to be cheap at all. The other option is to use Lightshow Pro which will cost US$89 and a USB dongle for approx US$60 and this way you can have both, an LOR and a DMX network running at the same time and have all the features of Lightshow Pro and expandability for the future if you require more DMX universes.
But reading what you want to do, depending on how many RGB lights you want to run it may be worth going to DMX or it may be worth just using your DC LOR board. You will have to do the sums to see whats the cheapest and best option for you is. Either way for RGB you have to use 3 channels and there is no real way around that.

Edited by fasteddy, 20 July 2010 - 10:02 PM.

Like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/pages/AVERYEDDYXMAScom/575898062427442
Learn all about DIY Lighting at www.auschristmaslighting.com

LORPC.gif 2012 - 10000 channels of RGB

#6 mscollectibles

mscollectibles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:23 PM

Now how many stars can you run off one of these cheap DMX controllers?
Mike

#7 dmoore

dmoore

HolidayCoro.com

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:41 AM

Now how many stars can you run off one of these cheap DMX controllers?
Mike

One controller per star. The controller is mounted to the star so that building it into the display is as easy as plugging one star into the next one with the neccessary length of CAT5 - up to 15 stars on a single CAT5 cable. But at $6 per controller...really... :)

And now that LOR S2 support RGB... imagine a whole yard full of these in all their RGB glory! Or... spelling out the words to a song... I'll post a video soon as I'm starting to get ready to build my little army of CoroStars.

#8 hbomb341

hbomb341

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:29 AM

And now that LOR S2 support RGB... imagine a whole yard full of these in all their RGB glory! Or... spelling out the words to a song... I'll post a video soon as I'm starting to get ready to build my little army of CoroStars.

Oh I am ...

Harrison

#9 rmturner54

rmturner54

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

dmoore- are u using the DC LOR board in any way to control the stars? Or, Are they an independent network that is controlled with the "DMX512 EDITOR and DMX "boxes" when power is turned on to the 12v supply and running a pre-programmed sequencce in the editor?
fasteddy- You may very well be right for my application. That was my original plan until I saw the corostars. And yes I'll have to crunch some numbers and also think about long term goals.
I find this DMX stuff really interesting and want to learn more.
Posted Image

#10 ɟɐsʇǝppʎ

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:24 PM

I like the coro stars a lot myself, unfortunatly im in Australia and would think the postage would break the deal for me. Looks like if i want coro stars ill have to build them myself.......Maybe next year

#11 dmoore

dmoore

HolidayCoro.com

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

dmoore- are u using the DC LOR board in any way to control the stars? Or, Are they an independent network that is controlled with the "DMX512 EDITOR and DMX "boxes" when power is turned on to the 12v supply and running a pre-programmed sequencce in the editor?

No - I'm not using an LOR DC board, though you could use one DC board to control 5 stars individually or larger groups of stars. No - they can be controlled with either LOR S2 and the iDMX or LightShow Pro directly. The editor is only used to set their address - just like when you change an address on some LOR controllers with the hardware application. When the boxes are first powered up, if they don't see a DMX signal, they run through a pre-programmed sequence that rotates betweens different colors.

#12 rmturner54

rmturner54

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

Ahhhhhhhh.....now I see said the blind man. So,,, what DMX signal device are u using? Is the pre-programmed sequence changeable? And if so ,,,,how?

Thanks for all your helpful info.
Richard
Posted Image

#13 dmoore

dmoore

HolidayCoro.com

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

I've not found a way on these 3ch controllers but I have another 3 channel controller that is the size of your thumb and it appears that it can be "programmed". The cool thing about the thumb sized RGB controllers is that when they don't get a DMX single - they talk with each other so they all stay in sync.

To control these I'm just using an Enttec PRO type controller from DIYC called the Lynx "Dongle" - about $40.

#14 rmturner54

rmturner54

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

So if I dont the LYNX dongle, they will run from their internal pre-programmed program when power is applied?
THanks again
Posted Image

#15 rmturner54

rmturner54

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

will this controller work and will it also do the addressing/editing? i realilize its just a 3 channel and it is also a lot of 3 ea.
http://www.aliexpres...holesalers.html
Posted Image

#16 dmoore

dmoore

HolidayCoro.com

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

will this controller work and will it also do the addressing/editing? i realilize its just a 3 channel and it is also a lot of 3 ea.
http://www.aliexpres...holesalers.html

I'm betting not - even though those boxes look alike, they have different firmware loaded in them. Why purchase that box? You'll be using a DMX dongle to control your display.

#17 ɟɐsʇǝppʎ

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

You are best to keep using your normal DMX dongle, the DMX controllers that DMoore is referring to are DMX receivers that then have 3 low current outputs. What David is doing is instead of having a DMX controlled controller with say 48 channels or with a LOR DC board with 16 channels and then running his cables from that single controller to his stars, instead he has small dmx receivers with 3 low current DC output channels placed on each coro star to drive the red, green and blue channels

When David talks about programming these small DMX receivers he is talking about programming the address of each DMX receiver so in basic terms star 1 would have a starting address of 1, star 2 would have a starting address of 4, star 3 would have a starting address of 7 and so on in blocks of 3 for each DMX controller receiver upto the maximum of 512 addressable channels that exist in a DMX universe.

Edited by fasteddy, 22 July 2010 - 09:26 PM.

#18 dmoore

dmoore

HolidayCoro.com

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:54 AM

You are best to keep using your normal DMX dongle, the DMX controllers that DMoore is referring to are DMX receivers that then have 3 low current outputs. What David is doing is instead of having a DMX controlled controller with say 48 channels or with a LOR DC board with 16 channels and then running his cables from that single controller to his stars, instead he has small dmx receivers with 3 low current DC output channels placed on each coro star to drive the red, green and blue channels

When David talks about programming these small DMX receivers he is talking about programming the address of each DMX receiver so in basic terms star 1 would have a starting address of 1, star 2 would have a starting address of 4, star 3 would have a starting address of 7 and so on in blocks of 3 for each DMX controller receiver upto the maximum of 512 addressable channels that exist in a DMX universe.

Yea... that... :)

#19 rmturner54

rmturner54

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:19 AM

See...I told u I was a DMX dummy. Thanks for the explaination. The Lynx dongle is something that I have yet to explore. If I decide to go with the 3 channel DMX modules this year for RGB control , I would probably use them in a pre-programmed stand alone operation until I have more time to play with the stuff. Or until I have the extra funds to invest in the IDMX from LOR. But like it was said earlier in the thread, since I have DC control boards that might be the simplest until I have more time.
I could also use a AC channel to just power up the power supply in an on/off situation. I have some twinkle stars string lights that have a RGB wart attached. That is what I do with those.
Posted Image

#20 ɟɐsʇǝppʎ

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:55 AM

To be safe i would keep it simple for now until you understand what you need. The LOR DC board would be your best option especially if you are new to this. That way you are able to work with what you know. If you feel confident enough with DMX the best path would be to use Lightshow Pro and DMX or vixen as this will be the cheapest path in the long run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users