See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

PVC Ferris wheel

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 thehoghunter

thehoghunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

Posted Image

Hi Everyone -

I asked my wife what she wanted next in our small Christmas display and this was it. When she first said a Ferris wheel, I thought it would be impossible, since
1. I can't even cut a board straight
2. Don't have the tools to do any woodworking (and then see #1)
3. Would be even worse with attempting something with metal

So, doing this in pvc was the only option (and even on this, the wheels aren't straight).

Now, I'm very happy with how it all turned out (as far as a first try on it), but, I would like to add some type of bearing to get rid of the pvc-on-pvc squeaking from the main axle. The 1/2" PVC goes through the 3/4" cross-connectors with no type of support. Could use some assistance on ideas - I would like to do it with something that is easily purchased/re-cycled.

Posted Image

#2 magii

magii

• Members
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

That looks great! What did you use for the motor?

:: Light Up Lawrence :: www.lightuplawrence.net :: lightuplawrence@gmail.com
A/C - D/C - 232 channels of LOR S2 running D-Light boards, Fireflis, Mighty Minis, and ~15,000 LEDs.

#3 thehoghunter

thehoghunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:01 PM

The motor is one of those deer motors - (standing buck that swings it's head back and forth).

#4 NH - Dave

NH - Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:10 PM

Dude you nailed it! The wifey has to be pleased. Great work.
Dave

www.vimeo.com/PineRidgeLights

"Never too many lights - Always too many cords - Usually not enough time!"

Posted Image

#5 Guest_showtime_*

Guest_showtime_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:56 PM

Looks awesome Thehoghunter!:cool:

#6 Roger

Roger

.Roger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:39 AM

Great job on ferris wheel, thanks for shareing and I am sure there will be lots of copies, I know of one, me.

#7 NH - Dave

NH - Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:56 PM

I must admit it, I did print the two photos for later use....
Dave

www.vimeo.com/PineRidgeLights

"Never too many lights - Always too many cords - Usually not enough time!"

Posted Image

#8 oldcqr

oldcqr

Time Out Chair Participant

• Members
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:20 PM

Nice work!

I would modify the design slightly to use 22.5 degree elbows, rather than the 45s. That would give you a rounder look with 8 seats vs 4. The problem is that they are a bit hard to find in the 3/4" size - you may need to special order them....

Berrings.... Hmmm...

What about something like this:
http://www.northernt...31470_200331470

You'll have to re-design your mounts, and use a solid axle, but they could work. The upside is that you could then use a slip-ring and light the whole thing.
-Mike
Posted Image
www.SequenceCenter.com --> Vixen Sequences and More
(If you need to contact me, I prefer eMail since I can no longer rely on PMs. Please use the 'contact me' link on my website)

#9 reasonforseason

reasonforseason

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

Nice work!

I would modify the design slightly to use 22.5 degree elbows, rather than the 45s. That would give you a rounder look with 8 seats vs 4. The problem is that they are a bit hard to find in the 3/4" size - you may need to special order them....

Berrings.... Hmmm...

What about something like this:
http://www.northernt...31470_200331470

You'll have to re-design your mounts, and use a solid axle, but they could work. The upside is that you could then use a slip-ring and light the whole thing.

Great idea, do you have an idea for which slip ring is most practical, pictures maybe?
Pax et Bonum,
John

"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:15-17

#10 oldcqr

oldcqr

• Members
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:58 PM

Great idea, do you have an idea for which slip ring is most practical, pictures maybe?

I have to research/find the one I am thinking of.... This particular vendor had liquid filled slip rings with multiple connections so you could animate the wheel as well. They were a little bit expensive (think $40), but worth the price.
-Mike
Posted Image
(If you need to contact me, I prefer eMail since I can no longer rely on PMs. Please use the 'contact me' link on my website)

#11 thehoghunter

thehoghunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:15 PM

Oldcqr - I've never seen 22.5 degree elbows (and those are 1/2", not 3/4" on the wheel - just fyi). You are correct that it would make it look more round using them.

The other thing is you state I would have to use a solid axle - I thought slip rings required a non-solid axle (to run the wires through). I had thought of doing a slip-ring, but not at that stage yet. Still want to get the other 'kinks' ironed out.

I looked at your link for bearings and then found more - still don't know what may work but you have certainly given me some good ideas for it.

And for everyone else who wants to steal this, be sure to check out all the pics - the secret is in cutting a hole through the two 3/4" cross-connectors (the mounting point of the 2 wheels) to allow the 1/2" pvc to go through as the main axle. But, you need something to then turn it -

Posted Image so I drilled through the axle (1/4" drill bit) - filed it smooth, and added a threaded rod through the axle and 3/4" cross-connectors - held in with self-locking nuts. The motor turns the axle, which turns the threaded rod, which turns the 3/4" cross-connectors that are the mounts for the wheels. I made one mistake with this in that I made both threaded rods on the same side, versus 90 degrees from each other on the axle. This has given me a speed-up/slow-down portion (which possibly could be fixed with a washer on both ends of the threaded rod which keep it steady against the inside of the cross-connector).
You can see a screw there in the picture...that's me trying to out think myself in making something simple. I have to re-do the main axle since my 'additions to make it easier to dis-assemble' are useless.

Edited by thehoghunter, 15 February 2010 - 11:19 PM.

#12 oldcqr

oldcqr

• Members
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:16 AM

You are correct. For some reason, I had it in my head that slip rings are hollow in the middle with connectors on the outsides and the axle through the middle..... Age :( ...

Here are the ones I was talking about:
http://www.mercotac....l/products.html

edit: And I was a bit low on the price... I said $40, and it looks like it is closer to $60.

Edited by oldcqr, 16 February 2010 - 12:22 AM.

-Mike
Posted Image

#13 Guest_Lightzilla_*

Guest_Lightzilla_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:33 AM

If I could go back into time (2 years) I would make my wheel out of PVC pipe as well.

I kept my wooden Ferris Wheel going for two years now and I keep it together all year ( I made it to come apart).

I have it on wheels to pull/push it from the back yard, and even with wheels the Ferris Wheel is heavy. It stands about 9 feet high (the wheel is 7 feet by it's self).

Anyhow, your wheel looks good, and if you decide to modify it into an octagon shape, or more of a round shape, well at least you have some experience now and some help via the forum.

I know that forum member "Drivemewilder" makes Ferris wheels out of PVC.

So you are (in my books) on the right track using PVC.

Good job.

#14 drivemewilder

drivemewilder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:34 AM

Not bad! Very good start. I would suggest taking some looks at my pvc ferris wheel, just to gain a few more ideas. How much does it weigh? Just curious how much weight those deer motors will move.
Posted Image

Keeping the season magical, and keeping it about Christ! Yes!!

#15 Guest_Lightzilla_*

Guest_Lightzilla_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:40 AM

I wonder if a rotisserie motor would work?

#16 thehoghunter

thehoghunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:38 AM

Well, the deer motor doesn't like it when I put more than one Great-Foam filled character in each seat (so far) but that may also be part of my other issue where the wheels are slipping a bit.

I'm kind of fond of those deer motors - no thinking involved - it was made for outdoors, some (like the one pictured) have extra outlet on them. Easily replaced if it burns out/goes bad. And they automatically switch direction if something happens (which hopefully gets one out of trouble then getting into more). But, I think my design was good enough that you could use a wiper motor, or most anything else. It would be a bit different in mounting the motor, but should not be a big issue. I actually matched up a wiper motor to the 3/4" cross connection where the axle come through and would have been able to put in all three mounting bolts- I just don't know if the design would have held it up - there may have been a need for another support pole for that motor (or mount it more like a real Ferris wheel with a belt/chain drive off the motor).

I'm not sure of the weight - I know I can lift the whole thing with one hand by grabbing the main axle so it's not that heavy. It's probably about 4 1/2 to 5 feet tall.

#17 Mark Culver

Mark Culver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

Check out the web site flexpvc.com for some unusual shape and sized pvc fitting. They even carry a 6 way.

#18 thehoghunter

thehoghunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:44 PM

Added a fender washer inside one of the cross-connectors and that seems to have straighten out my issue of the slow-down/speed-up as it went around.
Also did some measurements - assembled - base is 6 feet long, 2 and 1/2 feet wide. It's at 4 feet 3 inches tall and weights 19 lbs total. I had to take it apart so my granddaughter didn't see it as the next one I'm building for her. It took me 20 minutes to put it back together, so a pretty quick set up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://s215.photobuc...-2character.flv

Edited by thehoghunter, 23 February 2010 - 02:24 AM.

#19 drivemewilder

drivemewilder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

I watched your video and your off kilter. If you watch the outer square of your wheel, on the left side, you will notice that you're out of alignment. It could easily be just that one of your fittings at the "point" isn't true and straight. This may cause you problems later on, and may rectify your issue of it slowing down at certain times. Your weight distribution looks ok, as far as i can tell, but be sure to make sure seats opposite each other are the exact same weight. It's best to make sure ALL seats weight the same, but especially seats opposite one another.
Posted Image

Keeping the season magical, and keeping it about Christ! Yes!!

#20 thehoghunter

thehoghunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

Yes, and actually neither wheel is straight - they were until I went to glue them together. It was one of the problems I discovered in building this for the first time. Next time, once I get them straight as I can, I'll use a thin magic marker to mark the connections to insure when I dis-assemble one connection at a time for glueing, I have something to tell me if I'm putting it back together straight. (of course, pvc glue fastens so quickly...ah well, live and learn! :) )

So this one will be a bit crooked unless someone knows of something that will dissolve PVC Glue without damaging the pvc? Otherwise, this will wait until I can build two new wheels for it.

And my father-in-law was over - he said I should see if I could find some felt packing, which was used in wagons before bearings were made - said that should work fine for this. (and no, he isn't that old that he was around with covered wagons...just one smart man)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users