See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

Non-replaceable bulb burned out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grandpag

grandpag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:32 AM

I have a pre-lit Christmas tree that has part of a strand of bulbs that will not light. The first bulb on the string is non-replaceable and appears to be burned out.
Any idea on why some bulbs are non-replaceable and what my options are to repair it.

#2 Chance Reecher

Chance Reecher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:44 AM

Sounds like you're dealing with GE constant-on lights. Those "current-limiting" bulbs have no shunt (AFAIK), and have to be either replaced through some modification of the socket/base (I don't suggest that, I tried) or can be (gasp) cut out of the strand and replaced with a butt splice, which is what I ended up doing. (http://www.radioshac...ELAID=107591609)
Chance Reecher (previous handle "cnrtechhead")
www.cnrlights.info
2011- ~45K Lights, 128 Channels of LOR/D-Light | 2010 - ~30K Lights, 96 Channels of LOR/D-Light

#3 grandpag

grandpag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:12 AM

Thanks. I thought about cutting and splicing but I wasn't sure of the risk. Why aren't the fuses adequate for protecting against overloads?

#4 eldoradoboy

eldoradoboy

DJ SantaLights In Da House!

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

wow that goes back to the old throwback days of the 1970's when GE had the old "FUSE BULBS" in their Merry-bright strands.. - there was no way to replace those bulbs.. I thought those days were past...
-Christopher
Just because My Lights are No Longer Animated does not mean that I am Not.
I listen to at least 1 Christmas Song Each day of the year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users