Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums
Register now to gain access to all of the PlanetChristmas forums. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This ugly looking message disappears once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Non-replaceable bulb burned out

4 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I have a pre-lit Christmas tree that has part of a strand of bulbs that will not light. The first bulb on the string is non-replaceable and appears to be burned out.

Any idea on why some bulbs are non-replaceable and what my options are to repair it.

Posted · Report post

Sounds like you're dealing with GE constant-on lights. Those "current-limiting" bulbs have no shunt (AFAIK), and have to be either replaced through some modification of the socket/base (I don't suggest that, I tried) or can be (gasp) cut out of the strand and replaced with a butt splice, which is what I ended up doing. (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103510&CAWELAID=107591609)

Posted · Report post

Thanks. I thought about cutting and splicing but I wasn't sure of the risk. Why aren't the fuses adequate for protecting against overloads?

Posted · Report post

wow that goes back to the old throwback days of the 1970's when GE had the old "FUSE BULBS" in their Merry-bright strands.. - there was no way to replace those bulbs.. I thought those days were past...

-Christopher

Our Three Rules

At PlanetChristmas we are always positive, family friendly and Christmas-centric.

Lots More Information

What Drives Over-The-Top Christmas Decorators?

It is all about making lifelong memories and family traditions.