Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grandpag

Non-replaceable bulb burned out

I have a pre-lit Christmas tree that has part of a strand of bulbs that will not light. The first bulb on the string is non-replaceable and appears to be burned out.

Any idea on why some bulbs are non-replaceable and what my options are to repair it.

Sounds like you're dealing with GE constant-on lights. Those "current-limiting" bulbs have no shunt (AFAIK), and have to be either replaced through some modification of the socket/base (I don't suggest that, I tried) or can be (gasp) cut out of the strand and replaced with a butt splice, which is what I ended up doing. (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103510&CAWELAID=107591609)

Thanks. I thought about cutting and splicing but I wasn't sure of the risk. Why aren't the fuses adequate for protecting against overloads?

wow that goes back to the old throwback days of the 1970's when GE had the old "FUSE BULBS" in their Merry-bright strands.. - there was no way to replace those bulbs.. I thought those days were past...

-Christopher