See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

PVC Ferris Wheel

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jtownsend

jtownsend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:11 PM

Here is a link to my current setup, it doesn't compare to any of ya'lls, but it's a start! Also here are some daylight pictures. I had some warping problems that occurred over the summer after it was built, I'll be replacing those sections this coming year and figuring out where to store it where this Texas sun won't be on it.

Any comments or recommendations are welcome.

~jesse

#2 CHRISTMAS FTW!

CHRISTMAS FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:56 AM

very nice display i love it.

#3 DanoNJ

DanoNJ

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:08 AM

What type of slip ring did you use to power the spindles (for lack of a better word) SPOKES! HA just thought of it!

#4 jtownsend

jtownsend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:14 AM

Thank you Christmas FTW!

~jesse

Edited by jtownsend, 06 December 2009 - 07:17 AM.
doh

#5 jtownsend

jtownsend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:17 AM

DanoNJ

The slip ring I used is a Mercotac 230. They can be found here http://www.mercotac.com/html/230.html.

~jesse

#6 strrchristmas

strrchristmas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

Jesse,

Very nice job. You and I have the same problem: Where to store a large Ferris Wheel. Ours sets outside, like yours, and it suffers from the weather. The paint won't stay on the seats and the lights are not UV proof. We had thought about a 9ft. tall shipping container until we measured the wheel at 9 1/2ft. Guess I'll have to get a garage with a taller door.

I highly confirm Jesse's Mercotac recommendation. I put one on our wheel and it works beautifully. Well worth the money!

Keep up the good work Jesse. We try to add something new every year. That's how the displays grow and keep attracting viewers, new and repeats every year. Love your combination of animation and light control.

Videos of the Ferris Wheel and Ski Lift, are available on our public profile page.

Good Luck,
Terry

Edited by strrchristmas, 06 December 2009 - 04:02 PM.

#7 Guest_Lightzilla_*

Guest_Lightzilla_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

Do you have it on wheels to pull it around or do you set it up and take it down on the spot?

I made mine of wood two years ago and I can take it apart, but since I put 8" wheels on the base I decided to keep it together and just pull it to the back yard and put it under the pine trees.

Nice job, looks great. Interesting where you placed the seats.

#8 strrchristmas

strrchristmas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:03 PM

Lighzilla,

The wheels are just for moving it from the back to front yards. It's very heavy. A problem I didn't foresee. I knew it was going to be well built but didn't anticipate the total weight. I can pull it by myself but through the lawn is hard. It actually sets in the driveway, wheels come off, and doesn't need any tie downs, that's for sure.

I tried to stay as close to real as possible. Mostly because I don't have much of a fantasy type imagination. I kind of need a prototype to model after. While I am not a "rivet counter" and do not build an exact scale replica, it does make it easier if I have something to mimic. The way the cable spool is made, makes it easy to mount the seats where ever you want. Powered by a 90 VDC motor with speed controller, chain drive. The lights are from Action Lighting. Though, I don't think I would recommend them since they are not UV proof and the sun deteriorates them to the point the fall apart. We're looking for something different.

Thanks for the comments.

Good Luck,
Terry

#9 jtownsend

jtownsend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

Thank you strrchristmas! My wife wants a carousel next year and a train the year after that. Looks like I have my work all lined up! ;) I have no idea how to start the carousel build, need to think on that one.

My ferris wheel breaks down. The pvc that connects each side are not glued together. Each side breaks down into 4 pieces. These 8 pieces are still quite large, so storage is still an issue.The base is all screwed together, so it comes apart easily. Except for the 4x8ft very bottom. I don't use any wheels to move it, it gets built and broke down where it is since it's 13 feet tall.

As for the placement of the seats, they were an after thought. The wheel clears the base by about 2 inches, so the seats have to go where they are. Next year this will be about 2 feet taller so the seats can be moved to the outside of the wheel.

I'm using 2 Power Wheels motors/gearboxes to spin it. They came from a 'Barbie Beach Patrol' toy that was given to me. They are being powered by a old car battery charger set to 6 volts, also given to me.

~jesse

#10 budman

budman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

very nice im building a ferris wheel but stumped on how 2 run the lights any suggestions

#11 jtownsend

jtownsend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

I'm using this slip ring to run all the lights on mine.

http://www.mercotac.com/html/230.html

~jesse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users