See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

problem - gemmy the incredible holiday light show trio

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 candi9699

candi9699

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:30 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here.
I have one of these that was purchased last year. Worked fine.
I set it up this year and it won't work. Ir appears to be getting power because when I hit the reset button, it flashes. I've tried several times to sync the remote, redid all the plugs etc - still won't work.
Anyone have an idea what's wrong with it?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,

#2 decoRator

decoRator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

Is it the same trio as in my avatar photo? Three different height trees w/leds inside the balls and the ability to use a mp3 player?

If so, I also bought one last year. Built a platform for it and used it very successfully on the front of my boat in a boat parade. (Take a look at my albums) I put it out in the yard at home on Christmas Eve and it worked perfectly again. That is until an awful rainstorm happened later that afternoon. I guess it got wet inside somehow during that storm. The music played fine but the lights went absolutely nuts. I brought it back inside my garage that night and let it dry out for a couple of weeks. Tried it again and it still wouldn't work right. So I returned it to the store last January and started looking at LOR.

That's my experience with the trio. I really did like it tho.

#3 candi9699

candi9699

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes it's the same as the one in your profile. When I put it away last year it was working. IDK every year something dies :mad:

#4 DonK58

DonK58

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

I have the same display with the three trees. I also had the same problem until I located the instructions. After you press the reset button, the light flashes for about two minutes. Within that two minutes, look on the back of the remote control. There is a small pinhole there. Insert something like a straightened paper clip or small finishing nail until you either hear a small click or feel like you've hit something. Then, select one of the choices, song loop, effects, whatever. That did the trick for me.

This is my third year using this display. My complain now is the sound is now fuzzy coming out of the speaker at low volume. After the holidays, I'm going to replace the speaker and see if that helps.

#5 candi9699

candi9699

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:51 AM

Thanks Don. I did the reset thing - I think I remember doing what you suggest last year - I forgot the step of pressing one of the buttons on the front. i will try that tomorrow - thanks so much - I hope that works!

#6 candi9699

candi9699

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:43 PM

Hey Don,
when I hit reset, should the power button be in the on, off or sendor postion when I do that?

Thanks

#7 danzigdan

danzigdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:19 AM

I am in desperate need of a Gemmy Incredible light show trio tree set - WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROL.
CAN ANYBODY HELP ME..

OR
is there a way to use the trees without it??

also, any way to get owners manual?

#8 DonK58

DonK58

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:31 PM

Hey Don,
when I hit reset, should the power button be in the on, off or sendor postion when I do that?

Thanks

It should be on.

#9 danzigdan

danzigdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:27 PM

Hey Don and everyone...

I have the instruction Manual in pdf form if Any one needs it I would be happy to email it too you...

All I need is a Remote or way to bypass the remote so it plays on a loop or something..

Can anyone help me so my tree is not useless..

Thanks

#10 ccmomma

ccmomma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:35 AM

It should be on.

Hello Don. I also have these trees, I cannot get them to work. I tried to put a paperclip into the remote control and it is still not working. I checked all the plugs and NOTHING.. is there anything else I can do with these trees?

Thanks in advance
db

#11 tfischer

tfischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:26 AM

I'm getting so frustrated with Gemmy that I'm just about ready to boycott all their products. With the possible exception of their inflatables (but their quality is way down as well), not only do they build their stuff so if you're lucky, you might get one season out of them, they refuse to stock even the most basic of replacement parts (power bricks, motors, etc). This might be ok for an $8 singing hamster but not a $300 tree trio or $200 ferris wheel...

If you contact Gemmy and ask for help, they basically tell you "there's nothing we can do". I'm surprised there aren't more people really angry with Gemmy for this reason...
Tim Fischer
http://www.plymouthlights.com
Visit and Join the Christmas Lights Webring: http://lightwebring.fischersplace.com
Need a webhost? Great hosting starting at $3.99/mo!

#12 Sam in Virginia

Sam in Virginia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

I bought one of these gemmy the incredible holiday light show trio tree sets from Lowe's last year and it worked ok for a wile till it rained and after that a few of the lights didn't work right but it wasn't to bad. This year they worked when I first plugged them in but one row of lights on the middle size tree were dead. After a wile a few more of the lights were off color but still not to bad. Then we got a soaking rain storm and the trees were on. the next day I noticed the trees were dead, so I figured they got wet. I am hoping they will still work when they dry out. I thought they were supposed to be water proof but guess not. Anyone know if they have a fuse somewhere that might have blown out?:santasmileyitty:
Sam
in Virginia

#13 Sam in Virginia

Sam in Virginia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:32 PM

Well ,today I pulled the main box apart to see if water got inside the box but to my surprise it was bone dry so I dont think the rain was the problem. The power supply is supplying the 24 volts DC but their is no sign of life. I didn't see any fuses inside. I really liked the trees but thought I would get more than one year out of them. O well at least when I bought them last year they were on sale half price so I only paid $150.00 for them. I sent Gemmy an email but I don't expect any help. Well see
Now I got to find something to replace them, Any Ideas?:confused:
Sam
in Virginia

#14 Sam in Virginia

Sam in Virginia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:53 AM

It LIVES AGAIN :121_reindeer:
Here's an update, After I put the main box back together I got thinking about the bottom board. The 2 wires from the external power supply, the 24 volt DC went under the bottom of the board. Maybe their was a fuse under their so I pulled it back apart. This time I found the fuse, it was on the top side all the time but I have never seen one like it before . It looks like an old disc capacitor. I checked it with my volt meter and it was good as I was getting 24 volts on both sides of it. I found the plug that powers the main board which is 5 volts and I only had 1 volt. I unplugged it from the main top board and with no load I got 4.2 volts. I knew that was not right, so I followed the trace back to a transistor with a big heat sink. When I looked at it the numbers were L 7805 CV. Well I knew what that is a 5 volt regulator. I have replaced many of them in the power supply's of my old arcade video games, one of my hobbies and I had a few in my parts bin. I replaced the 7805 and after hitting the reset button it started blinking so I pushed the reset button on the back of the remote and hit the play song button and the tree came to life. Right now I am letting it run a wile before I put it back together. I will take some pictures before I put it back together. I am happy now. So if your Trees died their is hope.:santasmileyitty:
Sam
in Virginia

#15 Sam in Virginia

Sam in Virginia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

Here's a few pictures of inside the main box:santasmileyitty:

#16 tfischer

tfischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:52 AM

It's great to hear you got the trees back in business. Thanks much for the detailed pics and description, it's bound to help others who have these...
Tim Fischer
http://www.plymouthlights.com
Visit and Join the Christmas Lights Webring: http://lightwebring.fischersplace.com
Need a webhost? Great hosting starting at $3.99/mo!

#17 apwhite

apwhite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

Great information! I have 2 of The Incredible Holiday Light Show Trees from Gemmy and they both broke. Your information inspired me to disassemble them and try to fix them. After getting rained on they would work for a few minutes and then the lights would dim to nothing but the music still played. I completely disassembled one of them and checked the voltages on all of the ICs first at no load then under full load. At no load everything was fine but under load the input voltages when way down. It turned out being the fuse (F22). It checked fine using continuity and with no load but under load it heats up and reduces the voltage going to the full wave rectifier. The full wave rectifier provides the DC voltage to the whole circuit board. I didnít have a replacement so I bypassed it with a jumper wire until I can get a better fuse to replace it with. Both trees work fine now. OBTW the fuse F22 looks more like a disc capacitor then a fuse. Itís actually a PolySwitch Over-current and Over-temperature Devices. After reading the spec sheets from Tyco Electronics and Bourns, Inc. Iím inclined to believe that PolySwitches and MultiFuses are not the best protection for this application. I will probably go with an inline buss fuse. Iím still working on sizing. Best I can tell the PTC was 60V 1.35A. My power supply is only 570mA so Iím going to have to do some research on how to protect it and the electronics.

#18 thom2765

thom2765

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

Hello everyone. I also have the first gen Gemmy christmas trio and I had to replace the batteries in the remote. I tried programming it the way it was explained in the messages here but It still doesnt work. Does anyone have a manual????
Thanks

#19 Sam in Virginia

Sam in Virginia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

Here's what the customer support sent me.
Thank you for your Gemmy purchase!

I am sorry your Light Show is not functioning properly. Please put new batteries in the remote and then try unplugging the item, rubbing a key on the prongs of the plug, plugging the item back into the wall and re-synchronizing the remote and control box. This will reset all of the electronics on the item and should get it working again. If this does not work, try synchronizing the remote with the control box.

To synchronize the remote with the control box, follow the steps below:

1. Extend the antenna at the top of the Remote Control.
2. Press the reset button on the Control Box. This will activate a flashing LED for approximately 2 minutes.
3. As the LED light fl ashes, insert a straightened paper clip or narrow-tipped pen into the small hole on the back of the Remote Control. This activates the reset button. You should hear a small "click", and the flashing of the LED light will stop. Your Remote Control should now be synchronized.
4. You may now proceed to play your Incredible Holiday Light Show.

Thank you,
Customer Service
This should work if their is nothing wrong with the trees. When you push the reset button which is on top of the box under the tall tree it should blink red, if it dose not blink you have a problem. If it blinks you need to turn the remote on by sliding the button into the down position then insert the paper clip in the small hole in the back of the remote then the blinking light should stop and then press the song loop button and it should play. If it dosent, apeairs totaly dead then you might have a problem like I did. First test the voltage at the power supply with a volt meter buy disconnecting the water tight plug and inserting the probes into the powersupply . If it's good you should get 24 volts DC. If it's bad you need a new power supply, any 24Vdc @ 2 amps will work just make sure you get the + and - correct, dont hook it up backwards. If it's good and you got 24 volts DC then check the wire from the power supply all the way into the box to make sure their are no breaks in the wire. Next you will have to take the box apart,remove the top board then the bottom board to follow the black 24 volt wire to the bottom board. Make sure none of the boards can short out or touch each other and check with the volt meter the 24 volts where it' soldered to the board to see if you have 24 volts, if you do then check the other side of the fuse, the big yellow flat round disc thing to see if you have voltage on the other side of the fuse. If you have 24 volts on the other side of the fuse then check to see if you have 5 volts. Look for the plug that has 4 wires on it and is marked power LR-24 V 5v. The 4 wires are brown,red,red,yellow. The yellow is +5volts and the brown is ground, the 2 reds are 24 volts. If you have less than 5 volts then replace the 7805 voltage regulator.
Hope that helps.:santasmileyitty:
Sam
in Virginia

#20 thom2765

thom2765

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:16 PM

Thanks Sam in Virginia. I repalced the batterys again, hit the reset on the big tree, pressed the reset on the remote and after a couple of times of doing this it worked. I must have had a bad set of batterys.
It lives again :D
I would still like a manual if someone has one electronically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users