See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

candy cane stake problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 HansB

HansB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:04 PM

:confused: Have you ever had a strong wind come around the corner of your house and snap the plastic stake off at the ground.

I did last year, and don't know how to replace the stakes. Is there a place I can get the stakes by themselves, with out having to replace the whole cane

I thought about getting some Rebar and using it to replace the stakes if it will fit into the cane with the wires. The only problem with that is,I dont know if there will be a problem with wire chafe as the cane moves in the wind.:(
any ideas hear would helpful. thanks for your time :santasmileyitty:
http://www.lightsforhabitat.com/
Never enough Lights. Too many Extension cords

Posted Image
Controlling 22,000 LIGHTS

#2 Randy G

Randy G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:22 PM

Hans, I found some HD replacement stakes for canes at Garden Ridge a couple of years ago. I think they were GE brand, but don't know if they're still being made. Be careful with rebar - I tried that and damaged the wiring on a few canes.

#3 DanoNJ

DanoNJ

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:28 PM

I've used the stakes that are for C9's and mini lights. I snap of the light connector part. They typically fit in the bottom of the cane well. That must be some kind of wind!!:eek:

#4 promustangman

promustangman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:32 PM

I used 3/4 in dowel rod Buy 1 piece cut it into several stakes one end flat one end at an angle
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 santajr

santajr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:44 PM

I used some 1/4" rebar. I had a can of liquid rubber that you dip tool handles into and brushed it on first. Check the garden centers for vegetable plant stakes also. Some are wood and some are plastic or fiberglass.

#6 Chris A

Chris A

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:44 PM

I had the same problem last year. I was going to use rebar. Could you drive the rebar in and then zip tie the candy cane to it, without putting the candy cane over the rebar but behind it?

#7 santajr

santajr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:51 PM

I had the same problem last year. I was going to use rebar. Could you drive the rebar in and then zip tie the candy cane to it, without putting the candy cane over the rebar but behind it?

I have done it that way also.:121_reindeer:

#8 Larry Hazeltine

Larry Hazeltine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:07 PM

I use 1/2" cutoff-style sprinkler risers for candy cane stakes. These are the ones that can normally be cut to give you a 2-6" riser and only cost $0.17 at HD.
2010: 112 channels (64 LOR/48 Renard) with 24,000+ lights

#9 cmd1971

cmd1971

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:08 PM

Happens to me every year. As they break I use wooden dowels. They work just fine.

Chris
www.thathouseinmilford.com

#10 HansB

HansB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:45 AM

Thanks for the help guys... ill be going to HD to pick up some C-9s for a light box I'm making and Ill pick up some dowels;)

Posted Image

#11 terryj529

terryj529

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:26 PM

what I do is use 3/4 steel conduit, I cut the conduit into 8 inch sections, paint em white, and pound them into the ground with about 4 inch showing above ground. With all the candy canes that have missing or broke stakes, I use 1/2 conduit, about 6 inch long with a notch at one end for the wire, slid up the inside of the cane about 2 to 3 inches, then wrapped with a little white duct tape. I use the stakes I have also with a little duct tape to hold the stake on and then slide the stake or 1/2 conduit into the 3/4 conduit. A little duct tape to hold in place and it makes getting them in the ground so much easier when the ground is frozen. When it comes time to take them down, unwrap the duct tape and slide them out. The conduit can stay in the ground until spring for all I care. Its saved me from breaking any more plastic stakes in the frozen ground. And with the winds we get sometimes during the winter, it helps hold them in place real nice. The only ones I lost last year after doing it this way was the 5 that got stolen one night. I was just happy they picked the least expensive item in the yard.

#12 HansB

HansB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:49 AM

thanks terry. thats not a bad idea.:D

Posted Image

#13 inspector4

inspector4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:09 AM

I just cut some 3/4" wood on my table saw into 1/2" x3/4" x 14" long stakes and painted them green. I than used 2 tie wraps to attach the canes to the stakes. This worked well for 2 dozen candy canes last year. Only one moved in the wind. This year I will be doing it for almost a hundred canes. I would stay away from anything metal that might add to an easy electrical path and end up tripping those GFI outlets. (This may effect me more as I have replaced the lights with LEDS and have a home made splice right in the bottom of the candy cane.)

Steve

I just stuff my LED's into PVC conduit to keep them in straight lines.

Worth a 1000 words?

2013 Video

#14 rikerz

rikerz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:28 AM

Tonight I drilled 1" holes in a 2x4 and slid them in and it works great, no more wind blowing them over and having to replace them in a frozen yard this year...!!!

#15 Toymakr000

Toymakr000

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:35 AM

I use 1/4 steel rod about 24" ,pound them in 6",and slide the C.C. down over the top of them. It works great and I have done it for a few years now.
Gary Slater
Posted Image
Official LOR Abuser
AC:cool:

#16 Frank Bustamante

Frank Bustamante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

I have had the same thing happen just putting in the ground, my solution was to use some 3/16 cold steel rod that went 16 to 20 inches inside the cane and it worked fine. as for the Re bar watch out Don`t Hit your sprinkler pipes like I did :eek: one year.

#17 tfischer

tfischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

I had some leftover 1/4" (or maybe they're 3/8") fiberglass rods that I use to anchor my arches. I cut them to about 10" lengths, and they work great with the lighted canes (the slip up between the lights and cane wall, and I like the fact that there's no metal involved to scratch the wiring, and then short something out.
Tim Fischer
http://www.plymouthlights.com
Visit and Join the Christmas Lights Webring: http://lightwebring.fischersplace.com
Need a webhost? Great hosting starting at $3.99/mo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users