Welcome to The PlanetChristmas Forums
Register now to gain access to all of the PlanetChristmas forums. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This ugly looking message disappears once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Village Light Show Kit

35 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hey all!

My wonderful wife surprised me a few days ago with this little gem!

4ad0740b-6f45-472c-a012-4f249f6f0ea6_300.jpg

For those who haven't seen this, its a little box with 24 plugs for light accessories that plays synchronized light shows in your Christmas village! I'll have to see if I can get a video of it in action, maybe some pics of my village. It is really nice and the accessories it comes with look very good! It plays 20 different songs and you can also hook an external audio source to it and it will respond to your songs.

If anyone gets it, one word of wisdom passed on...the plugs have little slots in them. Make sure you align them with the notch in the hole and push. Otherwise your plugs dont stay in tight and you get frustrated cuz you think your light show is broke! :P

Art

Posted · Report post

I saw that too...I think at sams...

It's adorable...

Posted · Report post

Cool! I want one!

Posted · Report post

cool where you get it from

Posted · Report post

Oh god. Lemme guess "Light o rama! Village version"Control you village lights and animate them to limitless songs.

Posted · Report post

Lowe's has these for $79 but now marked 50% off! Still too much for me but my village is Dickens so it is kind of out of place any way!

Posted · Report post

Lowe's has these for $79 but now marked 50% off! Still too much for me but my village is Dickens so it is kind of out of place any way!

I picked one up today at Lowes (and actually got it for MUCH less than $40 - it was one of those things the mgr marked down for me :D).

I have a Dickens village too (the $100 one from Kmart last year that I found at 75% off :D), and it looks GREAT on it! I say GO FOR IT!

Be sure to follow the suggestions in the instructions about how to set the channels up (1-4 go in front left to right, 5-8 middle left to right, 9-12 back left to right).

FYI: The unit has a jack for connecting an MP3 player. Instead of that, hook up a small radio tuned to your display's radio station. Now your village is synced to the same music as your show :eek::D.

If I get a chance, I'll post some video in the next day or so.

Posted · Report post

Hook up a small radio tuned to your display's radio station. Now your village is synced to the same music as your show :eek::D.

What a great idea! Haha! I love it.

I can't wait to see video.

Posted · Report post

sure would like to see one of these working !!!! waiting for a show!! i paint my own village so i do not have indivual lights under each building - i use strings of mini lights and put 4 or 5 lights under each building. so to make this work i would have to find indivual bulbs to put under each building?? any idea where i would find indivual strings for my village?? thanks for the help

Posted · Report post

I just received a "Starter Kit" and have been trying to build a 3V-110V relay to be able to use the controller unit outside (yes I am going to purchase a second one for my "village" in my house.

Also I like the idea of connecting to a radio station. I plan to use it and connect to one of the local stations that plays Christmas music and put up a sign to listen to the music go to xxx FM.

Ernie Patterson

Posted · Report post

I picked one up today at Lowes (and actually got it for MUCH less than $40 - it was one of those things the mgr marked down for me :D).

I have a Dickens village too (the $100 one from Kmart last year that I found at 75% off :D), and it looks GREAT on it! I say GO FOR IT!

Be sure to follow the suggestions in the instructions about how to set the channels up (1-4 go in front left to right, 5-8 middle left to right, 9-12 back left to right).

FYI: The unit has a jack for connecting an MP3 player. Instead of that, hook up a small radio tuned to your display's radio station. Now your village is synced to the same music as your show :eek::D.

DANG! I paid full price, but we've been enjoying it for a month now... :)

Posted · Report post

Ok, here is a link to the page with the video. Scroll down to the bottom (2008 Video).

Again, I apologize for my poor video skills. Not to mention, one should NEVER shoot video with grass cloth as a backdrop! :D

Posted · Report post

I

You mean like this??

With the 50% off my wife really wanted one once I told her we could hook it to the music from outside... I am going to make arches for it this weekend..

BUT she also wants one of the pieces we cannot find anywhere. She wants this piece. If anyone sees one, please PM me, it will be greatly appreciated..

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=156813-75898-84828LW&lpage=none

Posted · Report post

Woo Hoo! I got mine today for $39.95 at Lowes. It is awesome. I brought it to our luncheon and entertained everyone, while it was still in the box! They sold out at my lowes. All were gone by this afternoon when I went back for something. this is so cool!

Posted · Report post

im going to lowes tonight, ill look for that piece you want. if i find it ill let you know.

Posted · Report post

You mean like this??

With the 50% off my wife really wanted one once I told her we could hook it to the music from outside... I am going to make arches for it this weekend..

BUT she also wants one of the pieces we cannot find anywhere. She wants this piece. If anyone sees one, please PM me, it will be greatly appreciated..

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=156813-75898-84828LW&lpage=none

just an update. My friend "GAMER" was ale to find me the trailer in Tn! Thanks Gamer!!!! Now I got more lights for the display, just need to make small cables to plug them in. Funny a small miniture set of 15 led's cost close half as much as a full set of LED's!!!!

One note to all that have this set... Handle the big green lighted tree by the base only.. It is very fragile...even with very light pressure it tends to crush inwards easily....

Posted · Report post

Anyone know how I hook other things up to this? I'd like to hook my exsisting mini net lights up and cannot figure out how....anyone?

Posted · Report post

I need to do 2 things to mine... yes I am going to "mod" mine..

The volume is too loud with an extrenal source. Either I'll add a resistor to the speaker line, a volume pot. .. just might just do a simple multi postion switch so I can "mute", turn off, or run normal.

I am also looking at what type plug these outputs are to make more... I see more goodies I can mod in my display and go blinky blinky :)

Posted · Report post

Beware that the accessories (Lemax) sold at Lowes will not work with this - even if you modify the power plugs.

I had created a whole article on how to modify stuff to work with the Village Light Show (including where to get the parts) HOWEVER:

1 - I burned up one of the ports on the thing

2 - I burnt out a set of street lights and a set of led bulbs.

Of course... I don't know a darn thing when it comes to this electronics stuff ;)

Posted · Report post

You mean like this??

OH!!! BMG!!!! That's funny because we were going to use that for our "outdoor" light show!!!!

Posted · Report post

I just got the Village Light Show kit. Very cool, but where do you get more to plug in. I did call the number and ordered the "accessory adapter" which is 4/$20 which allows you to plug in your own acessories providing they don't exceed the maximum output allowed. It is on back order though. Figures.

Does anyone know where can you buy accessories that just have the min plugs that would plug into the light controller?

Can you modify an existing accessory so it fits the controller unit?

I mean it is supposed to control up to 24 accessories (as long as you don't exceed the maximum output). Why have 24 ports if you can't even use them. It is called a starter kit so you think you could add more to it.

Posted · Report post

Our Lowes had accessories before they sold out.

things like extra light strings, various trees. You might check yours to see if there are any there.

Posted · Report post

I just got the Village Light Show kit. Very cool, but where do you get more to plug in. I did call the number and ordered the "accessory adapter" which is 4/$20 which allows you to plug in your own acessories providing they don't exceed the maximum output allowed. It is on back order though. Figures.

That price isn't too bad... I was expecting more for those!

Does anyone know where can you buy accessories that just have the min plugs that would plug into the light controller?

I got some more little LED strings from walmart and sear son sale. I also got a set of those little flood lights...One of my other buildings uses a power supply that had extra plugs for the spots so I was good there. These items are in line dept 56 or lemax items..so accessories are easily found at most hobby shops

Can you modify an existing accessory so it fits the controller unit?

Not sure, But I will find out after christmas season.

I mean it is supposed to control up to 24 accessories (as long as you don't exceed the maximum output). Why have 24 ports if you can't even use them. It is called a starter kit so you think you could add more to it.

I think the outputs are either 3.5 volts or 4.5 volts I will measure the voltage once i have my outside display down in a few weeks.... The plugs should be 2.5mm earphone jack that should be found at Radio shack or Frys.. theres a few other mods I want to do to the controller... I will post my mods as I do them as a mental wind down while I plan my 2009 outside display.

Posted · Report post

OK, Here's what I've worked out about this thing. First off, I think this is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while and actually paid full price for the darned thing! :)

The seem to have gone out of their way to make it difficult and/or expensive to use your own accessories, even though they don't sell accessories for it (yeah, I checked with their customer service, and it is a pity, because the accessories that it comes with are actually pretty nice and WAY less current draw than anything by LEMAX).

The first thing you have to do if you do not intend to spend $5 a piece on their accessory cords is to go ahead and cut the little notches out of all of the plug holes.

The plug holes on the box are 3/32" mono male phono plugs. (that's the size of the old-old radio earpiece jacks or many cellphone wired headset jacks)

The LEMAX accessories take 1/8" mono male phono plugs. (that's the size of a "walkman", etc headphone jack).

NOTE: the polarity is also reversed, the box has tip as negative and the LEMAX accessories expect the tip to be positive. LEDs need the correct polarity or they don't work and will probably burn up, although in the process of working on this I have briefly has several of these wired up backwards and did not damage them.

I went to radio shack and bought a few connectors to play with. I used fairly small guage speaker wire and made a couple of adapter cables which worked reasonably well until I plugged in too many.

The box itself has the severe limitation that it can only run 2,000 mA even though it has 24 ports. My LEMAX accessories are mostly in the 300mA to 330mA range each. If you get anywhere near the 2,000mA limit, it simply shuts off.

If you understand some basic electronics (I have an Electrical Engineering degree and sill had to look it up on the internet to remember how) knowledge, you can make a transistor circuit (one transistor, two resistors, the phono plugs mentioned above, and a 1/8" mono female phono jack to plug in a 3VDC LEMAX power supply) that will act as a switch. You use the lightshow box as the switching input to turn the accessory on and off using the LEMAX power supply for the power.

This is pretty tedious to put 24 of these together in a fairly small box (and I had 3 or 4 of them short out on me because of how close everything was on the board (I never claimed to be that good with a soldering iron), but for around $100 at radio shack (and 20hrs of my time), I put together a switching box with 24 power supply ports for LEMAX 4-plug power supplies, 24 wires going to 3/32" plugs to the lightshow box, and 24 3-4 ft long wires going to 1/8" plugs to run all our accessories.

The finished show can be found here:

Anybody found an easier or cheaper way of doing all of this?

I'd love to find more accessories like the ones that came with the kit itself.

Posted · Report post

The controller box only allows a maximum of 1800mA and there is 707mA included in the package. That allows for 1093mA to add to the unit.

Does anyone know how many mA's the Dept 56 twinkling trees use?

I have some Fiber Optic trees but those use 500-800 mA's. So I won't try plugging those in when I get the adapter.

Still, you would think "Santa's best" would sell additonal acessories (even if they are duplicate items). The Christmas trees they include don't take up a lot. I am almost tempted to buy another set just to get the acessories.

What are we whose electrical skills amount to be able to change a light bulb supposed to do?

Anyhow, Nice display Serena.

Our Three Rules

At PlanetChristmas we are always positive, family friendly and Christmas-centric.

Lots More Information

What Drives Over-The-Top Christmas Decorators?

It is all about making lifelong memories and family traditions.