See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

Make A Halloween Tunnel

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Terri

Terri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

A friend of mine is wanting to make a Halloween tunnel . He has a 10 foot walkway that lead's to his front porch and he is seeking some idea's to turn the area into a Halloween tunnel for all the trick or treater's . He said that there are more than 90 kid's just on his street alone,so there will be 100's of them to show up at his door .He has dubbed it "THE TUNNEL OF DOOM":eek:

What are some adventure's the kiddie's can go through ?
"It's Called CHRISTmas With A Capital C"

"What About Now"

#2 Dale W

Dale W

• Members
  • 3,835 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:)

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

The easiest way to make a tunnel would be to use a PVC frame and cover it with visquine.

Presuming money and time are not an object, get you some 3-5 gallon buckets from a hardware store and fill them with concrete. In the center of each bucket, before you fill it with concrete, get a 5 foot piece of 1 1/2" or 2" SCH 40 PVC and cement it in the bucket. You now have the posts for your frame.

Build as many as you need, I would place them at the corners and every 10 feet. Using couplings, T's and 90's, finish the frame on both sides of the sidewalk. Gluing the couplings will make them more secure.

On the top of the frame, place a small sheet of plywood to act as your roof. Drill holes and use thick tye-wraps to hold it in place.

Take some thick mil black visquine and drape it over the roof and frame. Paint the frame black to conceal it.

You have a tunnel of doom fit for lighting or other decorating.

edit: To make the tunnel more fun, build an 8' x 8's x 4'h box for them to crawl through. You can hang fishing line, stockings, string from the ceiling of the box. You need to have zero lighting in the box and cut the entrance/exit from the box offset. This way, the kids grope around in the box trying to find the way into the tunnel of doom.

If you light the tunnel with a strobe, be sure to reduce the intensity of the light. I have done this by getting a gel cover and painting it so that only 25% - 30% of the light passes through. It keeps it dark enough to confuse them and lets enough light for them to see.

You can taper the end of the tunnel so that it closes on itself to induce claustrophobic reactions from the kids.

edit #2 - an advantage of PVC is that it is very easy to create and modify a display. You simply add to the frame to customize the tunnel as you want: add bends, remove the roof, make it taller, etc.

It breaks apart and stores easily. If you wrap the PVC in your visquine, it will resist photo-degradation during the off-season. You can even salvage your PVC couplings, T's and 90's with a PVC Socket Saver that allows you to drill out the piping.

If you have any other questions, simply ask them in this thread or PM me and we can discuss the design.

Edited by Dale W, 19 October 2008 - 01:37 PM.

#3 Philip

Philip

• Members
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

I'd also divide it half lengthwise with some of the black gauze material. On one hlaf do as suggested above on the other half light it with a few black lights and paint flourescent eyes all over the place.

He could also create a couple of small alcoves where someone could hide in the tunnel.

growing up, we had a neighbor who created a tunnel that was about 3 feet high out of cardboard boxes and twisted and turned thru his whole garage. there were points in it that he had gloves attached to the walls and reaching out in one of the dimly lighted spots
-Philip Pyle
http://www.Lightertainment.com - Custom LOR Sequencing
http://www.PyleHolidays.com
LOR User with 64 channels and 20K lights

No! No! I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle! Posted Image

#4 fireman5214

fireman5214

Lighting Fanatic

• Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

The fire company makes a halloween tunnel for the haunted hayride, its about 20-30 feet long complete with the roof. They make it out of portable wall segments that fit together. One of the firefighters used to work at a place where they manufactured these and at the end of the season the vendors would bring them back and the company would just throw them away. They are usually done with the trade shows between the end of Sept. - Late Oct. so if you have a place you know where a trade show goes on you could ask someone there. Some have doors in them and some just have formica on each side of them and they connect to make walls and ceilings together. They were stored outside all year long with a tarp over them here in eastern pa and they looked fine again for their second year of being in use.

Clark they're not twinkling, I know Art and thanks for noticing. Bushkill Twp. Vol. Fire Co. Firefighter, Northampton County Station 52 Visit us on the web!! www.rephswinterwonderland.webs.com

994337_397083493751252_860034688_n.jpg

#5 santajr

santajr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

I made something very similar to what you are looking for. When my wife and I decided we were getting married outside in December, I wanted something special for the occasion. I bought 100 pieces of 1/2" x 10' PVC(white) and connectors. I didn't use glue. I started by taking 2 pieces of PVC and a T connector. Rebar stakes 18" long placed about 10' apart will hold the acrhes in place. Depending on how sturdy you want it or what you are covering it with will determine the rest of the assembly. To reduce waste, I cut some of the PVC into 5' lenghts. The second arch was the same as the first, but use a 4 way connector instead. The stakes on the ground were 5' from the last. Use a step ladder to insert the 5' piece of PVC into the T on the first arch and the 4 way on the second. I continued until I got the desired length. It went about 110' from the front yard to the back. Mini lights were then zip tied to the arches about 1' apart the entire lenght. It was something else. All my guests were wondering where I bought the tunnel. They didn't believe me when I said I built it myself. I still use the arches but not in tunnel form. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

#6 Santas Helper

Santas Helper

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

Terri,

The ideas mentioned are pretty good. I built a tunnel of the PVC framing but covered it with camo netting. Paint the PVC black so it doesn't stand out. Drape the camo netting (there is always some for sale on ebay) and hang spanish moss from the ceiling (also can be purchased on ebay). Have a strobe inside the tunnel (with a warning posted as usual) and a fog machine. Maybe add a red, blue or green flood in the mix, especially outside of it. The flash from the strobe will shine out of the camo netting "holes" and with the fog, will show beams of light. So now it looks spooky from the out side as well. And of course black string/thread hanging from the ceiling does wonders too. I've done this and it works great. Don't forget the creepy music...

Hope this helps,
Tom
Tom (aka Santa's Helper)
www.bricktownamusement.com
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Gary Martin

Gary Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

If you want something *really* cool (but a lot of work), consider a vortex tunnel. It is basically a raised platform with a rotating tunnel all around the walkway. Here's a "how-to"

http://www.scary-ter...m/vortex/vt.htm

#8 struair

struair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

I REALLY like the vortex tunnels!! If done correctly, it will completely throw off your equallibrium and balance making you want to lean/fall to one side. SUCH a crazy effect!
Struair
www.SantanLights.com
Posted Image

#9 Santas Helper

Santas Helper

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:32 AM

Those vortex tunnels are great but take lots of work/money.
It would be easier to just spin the kids in circles really fast and tell them to run to the front porch. It would be the same effect but a lot cheaper LOL.
Sorry, I couldn't resist although it would be funny to see.

Tom
Tom (aka Santa's Helper)
www.bricktownamusement.com
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 respond2life

respond2life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:01 AM

Those vortex tunnels are great but take lots of work/money.
It would be easier to just spin the kids in circles really fast and tell them to run to the front porch. It would be the same effect but a lot cheaper LOL.
Sorry, I couldn't resist although it would be funny to see.

Tom

I think with my limitation of time and money, the spinning the kids in circles thing could really work.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 keith75

keith75

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:17 AM

a few web sites i've seen, but i was thinking about triing to make one using rope lights and lor.. i've seen web site (can't find it know) where the sell one like that where the lights move around you

http://www.vortextunnel.com/

http://www.scary-ter...m/vortex/vt.htm
Have a great one..

#12 Randy G

Randy G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

I think with my limitation of time and money, the spinning the kids in circles thing could really work.

Yeah, there's nothing like having kids that can't see out of their costumes throwing up all their Halloween treats! That IS scary! LOL!

#13 Bob-O

Bob-O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • My favorite Christmas story:?

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

Another haunter in St Louis area! If you want to see a constructed vortex in action PM me and we can schedule a tour. Here is a video.

http://www.itsmebob....hauntvideo.html

Or we can talk at SLAM http://itsmebob.com/SLAM/

Bob St Louis

#14 mira

mira

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

OK Bob and Ben so you know, you will be meeting at SLAM. Ben, you need to do the tour. The tunnel is awesome! I had to get my bearings before steping off the end. I thought I was still spinning.

Mira

#15 howierd3866

howierd3866

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

doing my halloween display I use 300 wooden pallets stack on top of each other then space apart as needed.Then run old 2x4 acroos to tie them together.My was app 1000sf cover maze with actors and was cover with ALOT of black plastic. As they come in the first part use the tunnel app 20ft long. It has fog and at the end it has the light and all to make it look like its spinning

#16 keith75

keith75

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

check out this web site.
looks like to me if you use lor then u should be able to do this

http://www.digitalsl...ghttunnels.html
Have a great one..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users