See more by registering or logging in!

Welcome to PlanetChristmas Forums. You must register to post in our forums and see all the pictures, but don't worry because this is a simple process that requires minimal information. Get rid of this irritating message by clicking those buttons to the right.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • See all the images and get rid of that annoying snow at the top of the screen
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Tap into the world's largest decorating brain trust!
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo
- - - - -

GE Constant On Lights Only Half a Set Working

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 phajlw

phajlw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:19 PM

Hello I have a prelit tree with GE Constant on Lights on it and there are three sections where only half the section is working. The part of the section that is not working contains the fuse bulb the one that has the white ring around the socket and I can tell that the filament has burnt out in that bulb. I called customer service and they say the string has to be replaced. I know there is a way around this but dont know what to do. I have searched on here and found a little bit of info about the shunts etc but no answer. I was wondering if it was possible to cut that bulb out of the sytem and rewire the light set and the lights still work. I tried this and I could get a current to run through the complete set and get the half that lights up to still light up but not the other half. Thanks to anyone who can help. My wife will be greatful so we can decorate the tree.

Thanks,

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:30 PM

phajlw wrote:

Hello I have a prelit tree with GE Constant on Lights on it and there are three sections where only half the section is working.  The part of the section that is not working contains the fuse bulb the one that has the white ring around the socket and I can tell that the filament has burnt out in that bulb.  I called customer service and they say the string has to be replaced.  I know there is a way around this but dont know what to do.   I have searched on here and found a little bit of info about the shunts etc but no answer.  I was wondering if it was possible to cut that bulb out of the sytem and rewire the light set and the lights still work.  I  tried this and I could get a current to run through the complete set and get the half that lights up to still light up but not the other half.   Thanks to anyone who can help.  My wife will be greatful so we can decorate the tree.

Thanks,

Ok, assuming a section is 100ct bulbs, then half out is 50. I haven't seen these "fuse bulbs" before, does this mean the fuse is in-line and NOT on the plug like standard sets? You don't want to remove the fuse protection, you will need to get a spare fuse if you think the fuse is blown.

As for the sections half-out, a bulb is missing or loose, so you will need to check them all for placement and see if they are all still there.

--Daniel L

#3 phajlw

phajlw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

There is a fuse in the plug as well actually two small ones but this one is inline with the string of lights it looks exactly like the others except the bulb cant be removed from the socket to replace it. Go to santas best website and check it out. They say it has to be replaced when this bulb goes out. I thought maybe I could remove the socket completely and patch the wiring back and get it to work. I tried this and I couldnt get the section of the set that was out to come back on although the section that was previously lighting was still on and I could get a current to pass through the whole section to light the next section.

Daniel I have done as you suggested already and all the bulbs are there on the section that is not lit. The idea of these sets is that one bulb can be missing or burnt out and the rest continue to stay lit. I know it has something to due with that fuse bulb but dont know what. Hope that helps some more.

#4 Cdshakes

Cdshakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:21 PM

Posted Image

Sounds like a job for the LightKeeper pro!

Colin

#5 tfischer

tfischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:05 PM

The whole point of these constant-on sets is supposed to be that you don't have to muck with stuff like this...

-Tim

Tim Fischer
http://www.plymouthlights.com
Visit and Join the Christmas Lights Webring: http://lightwebring.fischersplace.com
Need a webhost? Great hosting starting at $3.99/mo!

#6 JimBatt

JimBatt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:19 PM

Cdshakes wrote:

Posted Image

Sounds like a job for the LightKeeper pro!

Colin

Bought one of these at LOWES yesterday! What a FANTASTIC tool. Saved 2 strings of lights (one was a string of icecle lights) both were in a box as junk just to salvage bulbs from. The tool works great! It impressed me!

#7 phajlw

phajlw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for all the advise but I believe the light keeper pro only works for light sets in series. I believe these are in parellel thats why they are constant on lights so any more help would be appreciated.

#8 phajlw

phajlw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for all the advise but I believe the light keeper pro only works for light sets in series. I believe these are in parellel thats why they are constant on lights so any more help would be appreciated.

#9 tfischer

tfischer

Distinguished Member

• Members
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:18 PM

The constant-on are still in series. They have a special resistor in the base to keep the series intact when a bulb is loose or removed.

-Tim

Tim Fischer
http://www.plymouthlights.com
Visit and Join the Christmas Lights Webring: http://lightwebring.fischersplace.com
Need a webhost? Great hosting starting at $3.99/mo!

#10 LEPRECAUN

LEPRECAUN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:45 AM

They are junk I have lost almost a third of the constant on strings that I bought last year. I will not buy anymore.

Ken

#11 AI

AI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:51 AM

I have already told as many people not to buy these. They are junk. AI
Posted Image

#12 AI

AI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:54 AM

OP you PM'ed me sorry for not getting back to you but I have not had the time to take apart the special currant limiting bulb.
Posted Image

#13 AI

AI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:57 AM

As I have said before they are not any thing special. As you have found out once the current limit bulb blows you are done.
Posted Image

#14 XmasLightGuy

XmasLightGuy

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:12 AM

Actually 'Constant On' lights do not have a device in the sockets like
Stay Lit ones do (Stay Lit lights are awesome, and worth the extra cost when
put in hard to reach places

I did a little mini-review of 'Constant On' lights and how they work on my webpage... http://lights.hotusa.org/z_prod03.htm

As for your set with the 'bad' non-replaceable bulb... just cut it out and replace
with a normal socket/bulb (why GE did that is beyond me - its just stupid)

edit: there is a minor safty issue of simply removing it alltogether, thats why i say
to put a normal one in its place

-Jay
Posted Image.Posted Image

#15 AI

AI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:13 AM

XmasLightGuy wrote:

put in hadr to reach places

I did a little mini-review of 'Constant On' lights and how they work on my webpage... http://lights.hotusa.org/z_prod03.htm

As for your set with the 'bad' non-replaceable bulb... just cut it out and replace

dosnt work
Posted Image

#16 AI

AI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:14 AM

XmasLightGuy wrote:

?
Posted Image

#17 XmasLightGuy

XmasLightGuy

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:18 AM

AI wrote:

XmasLightGuy wrote:

?

oops that should read
"put in hard to reach places"

its been corrected now

-Jay

#18 AI

AI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:22 AM

So as far as I know they can not be fixed. has any one had any success? AI
Posted Image

#19 XmasLightGuy

XmasLightGuy

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:30 AM

AI wrote:

XmasLightGuy wrote:

dosnt work

Removing/replacing that bulb still doesn't fix it?
It should...
That means there is something else wrong (probably a bad-shunt bulb.
If you have one try the lightkeeper. If not or it doesn't work just remove and test
all the bulbs in a good set (don't remove more than 10 at a time or you'll risk
blowing the what remains in the 'bad' section should it turn on)

-Jay

#20 AI

AI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:06 PM

AI wrote:

XmasLightGuy wrote:

dosnt work

I meant the link did not work. But I got it now. Thanks for the review. I did one all so but have not dissected the non replaceable bulb yet. It is my thought that they had to put those bulbs in to get past UL. So that if all the other lights are out you will not have a dead short. It is listed as a current limiting bulb in the paper that came with mine but there is no mention of it in the patent.

I other thing it has been reported that some times the contact's don't make in the sockets and the string will go out. It looks like they may corrode easily. AI

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users