Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
xenon

Personally I hate

yes hate is strong, but I really do hate the small blowers and AC DC transformers Gemmy uses, come on you can buy the same blower at your local computer shop for $2, and they would think you were crazy if you told them you were going to put it outside.

I really do not understand Gemmy, that do so good on so many things, I noticed one of our 2012 Globes had a 3 year warranty from Gemmy.  

needless to say I do not buy many of them especially for full price

But $1.00 eases he pain so I can tell if the transformer is bad or not.  this little DC test lamp is the best, just stick a probe in each hole of the transformer (with it plugged up of course) light its good, no light its bad  simple.  I did solder a small drill bit on the clip, just a little smaller than the hole.

any way here are a couple of pics

100_5533.JPG

100_5532.JPG

100_5531.JPG

• Like 1

I share your feelings about those things. The problem is that they are not "transformers" anymore as both our governments have banned transformer type ac-dc power adapters as they are not energy efficient. Same as it is hard to find a 100 watt standard type incandescent light bulb anymore. I have seen these switching power supplies used with everything from pre-lit LED trees to little light-up villages and they are VERY prone to failure unlike the old transformer type "wall worts". They are definitely not 100% waterproof but are sealed just enough so that water gets inside them and won't dry up but instead shorts out the circuit board inside them, and corrodes the traces and the component leads causing premature failure. If the water ingress doesn't kill these little power supplies, they die of capacitor or semiconductor failure. It's really frustrating that you can pay good money for expensive inflatables or other lit up decorations and get such junky power supplies. Somebody should start selling replacements made with epoxy potted circuit boards and good quality components that will last more than one season and are actually waterproof.

I recently bought a pallet of "green laser lights" to resale, they have the same 'transformer" with them that goes with the small inflatables.  I paid $2.50 each for the lights, thinking about trashing the lase and selling the transformer, but then I know the failure rate would be high, but its going to be high with the lights too.  wish there was a good alternative.