Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Let's see who, in Illinois has there displays!! I know there was an individual, whom shall remain nameless, that was recently on the GCLF.. in a suburb of chicago. Below is ours, NOT nearly worthy of the light fight...hardly close at all

20181122_201333.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice, Big J.  I am dark this year in Paxton, taking my third break in 4 years. Just hard to find the time to commit to prep and setup. Planning on a return next year, but I did put together a nice static display on our church lot this year.

IMG_20181204_174537285.jpg

IMG_20181204_174749234_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

18 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

Let's see who, in Illinois has there displays!! I know there was an individual, whom shall remain nameless, that was recently on the GCLF.. in a suburb of chicago. Below is ours, NOT nearly worthy of the light fight...hardly close at all

20181122_201333.jpg

nice!! how may lights? oh u have a light out btw LOL

17 hours ago, vkjohnson said:

Very nice, Big J.  I am dark this year in Paxton, taking my third break in 4 years. Just hard to find the time to commit to prep and setup. Planning on a return next year, but I did put together a nice static display on our church lot this year.

IMG_20181204_174537285.jpg

IMG_20181204_174749234_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

sure looks amazing don't wanna get on my plupit but thank you up above …..

nice! I at one time broke 100,000 at my hosue but the only reason I know that that's about all I can put up or I get a free trip to the moon 

Big J.. love the house. pfft- don't even know how many I have up.

I do know I have about 40k -50k in lights sitting in my garage NIB.. :) I might start doing light spheres- 10inch light balls and throwing them up in the trees.

1 hour ago, Rotatorman said:

Diamondkilo: and I thought I was the only one with new, unopened boxes of Christmas lights.......

that's last weeks overflow of lights. LOL.

20181207_214341.jpg