Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Mel Fischer

Been busy again

Been busy making bags for the blow molds again.  The Santa's Best AA Mrs Claus bag is 36" x 66" and the AA Santa bag is 36" x 72".  The plastic sealer I bought several months ago for making the bags is a dream for making these extra large bags of heavy plastic without any help needed.

Mel

Santas Best AA Santa & Mrs Claus & Witch (800).jpg

• Like 1

Fortunately no smoke, at least not yet.  We had enough of that last summer with smoke from Oregon, eastern Washington and British Colombia, my wife has COPD and I have emphysema and we were confined indoors for several days at that time.

Thanks for the compliment on the bags, I have made more of the extra large bags today since making the post.

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer

What’s your secret on the bag making. What do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No secret, I get the plastic from a couple of mattress stores, it comes from mattresses they have sold and they throw out the protective cover from the mattresses that they have sold and delivered.  I received permission from the stores to collect the plastic from their dumpsters.  Some of the plastic is in bad shape but other pieces are in good condition.  the two large bags in the picture were made from one piece of plastic from a mattress.  The plastic comes in different thicknesses, these happen to be the thicker type.

The sealer I bought seals 12" at a time and is foot operated so I do not need the help I needed when using the small food sealer that I originally used.  The heat time is adjustable for sealing different thicknesses of plastic and the stand that came with it is at a height that I can sit comfortably on a chair while sealing the plastic to make the bags which makes it easy to make the 5 - 6 foot long bags.  I still need to make a couple of longer bags for a couple of life size wisemen.  The sealer I have is like the one in this eBay auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-110V-12-Foot-Pedal-Impulse-Sealer-Heat-Seal-Machine-Plastic-Bag-Sealing-US/401488401210?hash=item5d7a92d33a:g:HkcAAOSww-BacNwo:rk:1:pf:0

I do wonder at times how many of the people who spend many hours stripping and repainting their blow molds large or small actually think about protecting them in the off season from scuffs and scrapes from banging them around while putting them away with bags so they will continue to look great.

Mel

Plastic Sealer (800).jpg

Edited by Mel Fischer

Can it do down to 2mill plastic or thinner? I think matters plastic I think is 6mil. Thanks for all the good information. I been  cleaning the ones that did not come in bags. Before I put them out. 

Yes, I think it would do 2 mil and possibly less, I do not know what the mil is on most of the plastic that I have used is but I have done thinner plastic then what General Foam, Union Products, etc. used for their bags.  The only bags I use the thicker mattress plastic for are the large ones like in the picture.  For some of the mattresses they use a much thinner plastic.  I know you can use plastic as thin as a bread plastic bag as I have occasionally used them for temporary bags for other things.  I have also used it to make padded bags out of bubble wrap.

I just went on Amazon and read the questions and reviews on this sealer and an answer to one of the questions said that they use it on 2 mil.  The reviews are mixed from good to bad as expected but I have been very satisfied with ours, it is better then what I expected and I have not had some of the problems some reviewers complain about.  I did have a problem with the heating element (wire) and the seller refunded enough money to purchase two new elements on eBay which were easy for me to find.  As it turned out, I was able to fix the original wire problem and am still using that original one and have the two from eBay as spares if needed.  The problem I had was that one end piece was not clamped on the wire tight enough and it came off, I clamped a new one on and it is still working after making well over a  bags with it.  These are the replacement elements that I bought.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PFS-300-2-x-12-Impulse-Heat-Sealer-Replacement-Element-Kits-Fast-US-Ship/182665535112?hash=item2a87b6de88:g:iM0AAOxypNtSh8Lz:sc:USPSFirstClass!98277!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

Mel

That seems still like a lot of work.  But Mel is the OG professional.  I wonder what others do.  Thoughts?

Not all that much work compared to what it was before purchasing the new sealer.  Now the main work is in measuring and cutting the plastic but then it is to each his own in caring for their blow molds.

Mel

1 hour ago, Mel Fischer said:

Not all that much work compared to what it was before purchasing the new sealer.  Now the main work is in measuring and cutting the plastic but then it is to each his own in caring for their blow molds.

Mel

I totally agree.  Started bagging my Halloween this year.  And I am very mad in myself not keeping the original bags from GFP.  

If I recall correctly, when GF closed their doors they had cases of bags there for the taking.

Mel

If I recall correctly, when GF closed their doors they had cases of bags there for the taking.
Mel

Rolls. Yes. I grabbed a bunch every chance I got when I was there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk