Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Big J Illinois

Has anyone started to put up this years display?

Has anyone put up there display yet? We r about 60% done. Would be further if the rain and COLD went away lolol. Calling for light snow on Friday. Rrrrrr...  

20181106_124505.jpg

20181105_092513.jpg

20181105_092522.jpg

• Like 1

I took last Friday off work to hang my roof lights. It took two days to recover!!  I might hang some net lights and C-6's in some bushes today, depends on work.  I'v only got two weeks before it has to be done, and I still have to rebuild the drive on the teeter totter.

Not yet. It has not stopped raining down in Georgia. Been building in the basement. I have some painting to do. I hope we get 3 dry days so I can paint / do touching up. Also were I leave in HOA land I can not put out any thing in the yard until Nov.19. So I will be taking a few day off from work to run around and put up the display. 

Looking Good Big J!  I hope to get started this weekend, I feel like I am way behind this year.  I look forward to more progress pics

• Like 1

Planning to start this weekend and have taken Nov. 15-23 off from work to  git-er-done.  Nov. 24 is my targeted go-live date this year.

Started the middle of October, and I know I think this every year, but I'm going to get done early.  Of course that won't happen, but it feels like it.

Great job Big J- Love it all! I will be starting the setup in 2 hours today. I agree that mega tree looks sweet!

• Like 1

I started the mid October. I had 50% up and my Mega tree up. Stopped been working on the train  the pass 5 days rain in the area .  Target date November 23

My current rule is nothing until Nov 1. I've got about 20% done. Started a new thing this year I try to get most of my plain red, white and blue up by this time and light just those up for Veteran's Day. I'm in a new house too so I'm battling my original plan that's not coming out right yet.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I start the day or weekend after Thanksgiving.  My display is still static, so I can still put it up in one day.

Absolutely inside was done by Halloween, and we're well underway outside all lights are on the house , but so much more needs setting up, hoping for cooler weather since so much is up under the roof over the gar. and it's about 120+ degrees up there no doubt?

been trying if it will ever stop raining in North Ga, now its turned cold ( for us anyway, ) decorating 4 acres,  had hoped for first weekend in Dec. we will see, we are maybe 10% done

I got all the stuff done on my roof over the last week, but of course one of the reindeer burned out while I was testing so I have to get back up there one more time and then no more roof unless I need to fix something.  Stinks with getting off work at 5pm and home by 5:15 it gets dark 10 minutes later, so I am going to try to do little things here and there throughout the week and then hit it hard this Saturday the 17th and try to get things wrapped up.  Lights go on the day after Thanksgiving so I want to be all ready.  Hope everyone else is doing good!

Only doing the outline of the roof this year and it was a beautiful day for it. This new house has a much steeper roof so was quite interesting getting just the outline done. Got through about 30% today.4ad54a847220ad1adc5055a2ed36f0fb.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

40% done- Figured out my new snowflake layout. Gives a great illusion when driving by. Sorry for the Shaky Video- I was tired! Still have so much to do.

People around town already leaving lights on! Love it more time to enjoy the season!

20181111_164814.thumb.jpg.f47a88ae040c5d3f2949f856c4fe3b99.jpg20181111_172721.thumb.jpg.b7bb0558fbd89f855d11bb45bca7499c.jpg

Cant delete this error one sorry

Edited by diamondkilo
  • Like 1

here is why I cant get anything done.  41 degrees today and up to 2" of rain, 100% next 3 days

weather.JPG

BigJ,

Looking good. Can’t wait to see it finished. As I type this it is just pouring rain here.

Diamondkilo:  Looking great!  I really like the snowflake layout.

Edited by Fodstar

1 hour ago, Fodstar said:

Diamondkilo:  Looking great!  I really like the snowflake layout.

Thanks Fodstar! I am happy I fInally found a way to bridge the gap between my house and front island. I might add  (2) simple 4 chan controllers to make them slow fade in and out. Will test that out later this week. 

Edited by diamondkilo