Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Rich in Las Vegas

Lowes Home Improvement skimpy offering

I stopped in one of the local Lowes  stores this morning and while I was waiting for them to process a refund wandered through an extensive Christmas display.  They have lots of inflatables and metal displays but only three blow molds tucked in the middle of a lot of other stuff.  They had a soldier, candy cane, and lamp post.  They were all about 40" high and lit with two C7 7W incandescent bulbs.  One of the three had the Gemmy brand name on the instruction sheet.  They were all priced at $40.  Made in China.  I liked the stuff available at Walmart better.  Sorry for the lack of pictures but I don't carry a cell phone with me. 

I bought a soldier and the paint was terrible, so bad I didn’t even put it out. Maybe they are better this year.

I own all of them and love them. While the paint kinda lacks, the quality of the mold and the height is awesome.
They all sell out around here. Just wish they would do new designs. And more selection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought two of the soldiers last year, and while I agree that the paint could have been much better, I really like the durability.  They seem much thicker than the old blow molds.

Maybe the paint quality was the reason I liked the Walmart offerings better.  The Lowes blow molds seemed to be heavier than any of the Empire and GFP blow molds of similar size that I own.  It found the proportions  for the candle a bit odd but I am new to blow molds.  

Hi all, was at Wally World this AM....seen that lamp post everyone talks about...has that horrible glitter on it...comes right off...it is a thicker plastic...not sure how it would hold up in a northern illinois winter..I passed on it....today anyways lolol

20181018_050224.jpg

This looks like it was done  with spray paint. Between this piece of junk and the 40 some strands of c9 led lights at 30 bucks a strand that don’t work I’m not real fond of the China crap they over charge for.

91C3A504-378E-4F9F-89ED-ED3BAC424BA8.jpeg

Got to admit, that does look pretty bad.  By the way, you've got some wonderful things hiding in the background!

Yea, Home Depot has been taking Lowes behind the woodshed at Christmas for a few years now, with the exception of Lowes actually being willing to do blowmolds (despite quality concerns). WalMarts lights & prices arn't even close, and HD's selection of characters as well as their light string prices (despite light string selection being mediocre) is far superior. 

On 10/20/2018 at 7:39 PM, Stephen Blue said:

Yea, Home Depot has been taking Lowes behind the woodshed at Christmas for a few years now, with the exception of Lowes actually being willing to do blowmolds (despite quality concerns). WalMarts lights & prices arn't even close, and HD's selection of characters as well as their light string prices (despite light string selection being mediocre) is far superior. 

I find Home Depot to be a big disappointment in the Christmas department.  The only outdoor figures they've had in recent years are those awful fabric covered flimsy frames.

TED

6 hours ago, TED said:

I find Home Depot to be a big disappointment in the Christmas department.  The only outdoor figures they've had in recent years are those awful fabric covered flimsy frames.

TED

I suppose that's just a difference of preference - I'm a big fan of the mesh over wireframe figures (I use close to 100 of them throughout my display), and Home Depot has some of the best selections of good looking, unique designs year after year. I will say that when they're put together, we add numerous additional zip ties to the frames to make them more stable, and guy-wire with fishing line taller ones. 

HD also has the best ground stakes, hands down, of anyone.

21 hours ago, Stephen Blue said:

I suppose that's just a difference of preference - I'm a big fan of the mesh over wireframe figures (I use close to 100 of them throughout my display), and Home Depot has some of the best selections of good looking, unique designs year after year. I will say that when they're put together, we add numerous additional zip ties to the frames to make them more stable, and guy-wire with fishing line taller ones. 

HD also has the best ground stakes, hands down, of anyone.

Stephen,

I didn't know you used those.  I certainly didn't intend to insult your display and/or decorations.  Do the fabric covered items hold up to the weather?  I've always thought they would deteriorate rapidly.  I know I've seen some that were dirty and muddy.

TED

4 hours ago, TED said:

Stephen,

I didn't know you used those.  I certainly didn't intend to insult your display and/or decorations.  Do the fabric covered items hold up to the weather?  I've always thought they would deteriorate rapidly.  I know I've seen some that were dirty and muddy.

TED

Oh, no worries, no insult taken. Everyone has different tastes and preferences! 

For the most part, they hold up really well - I have some over 10 years old, and I can only think of 1 that I've retired because of irreparable damage (and honestly I could have fixed that one, just didn't love it to begin with, wasn't worth the effort). The two issues that crop up on occasion are A) if detail features, such as eyes and noses, are not well attached, they have to be re-glued every couple of years (Characters from Improvements Catalog are especially guilty of this). Hot glue gets it done. B: And by far the most common issue, a section of lights within the character goes out. Most of them are incan mini's, and what a light keeper pro doesn't bring back, results in what can be a pretty labor-intensive operation to replace the string. We have to do this to maybe 4-6 of the characters each year. Some are pretty easy... others not so much.

Some of my all-white characters (bears, seals, snowmen) do get grungy looking after several years - a quick coat of cheap white spray paint brings them back to life quickly!

I have had real good luck ordering union blow molds from ACE hardware and picking them up at the store. Free shipping to the store is great! They don’t sale all union items but they have some. The attached are some of them. Look under “blow molds” or “union products”. 

DE2FAFFB-0360-4D0E-9281-20122F4C6361.png

58E63BB8-1922-411A-B31E-6B69F565D7E8.png

E1B5A57A-3BE5-4B6D-B7DD-9C8B8B481948.png

01A4688A-0063-4865-9C3B-A5EB57671604.png

Update on Lowe's Christmas offering.  Lowe's and Walmart are in the same shopping center so I stopped in both this morning.  Lowe's had added a very large mailbox similar to the one sold by WM for $90 but even larger.  It's 5 feet high which makes it higher than the real USPS box.  Both have white 5mm LEDs poking through the side of the box all around.  The price: $398!  I guess the quality is not the greatest as the brand new display had at least one LED not working. 

I have to admit that when I first started using the wire mesh frames years ago, I was doubtful as to their lasting very long.  But this past summer I finally through away the first one I bought (the three penguins that spell out JOY).  I had to fix the lights a few times, but with the exception of a few rips here and there, they held up for somewhere between 15 and 20 years.

I was at Lows the other day and looked at a soldier and it does look like the paint is a lot better than what mine is. I got mine the first year they sold them so maybe they are doing a better job now.