Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Sadly, with little responses......I was wondering if there were any other places where people discuss Christmas lights.  

Any recommendations?

There's the LOR site, but that's really more for LOR, pixel, and many other things over my head.  There's also a Christmas DIY site, but it's not as good as Planet-Christmas.  I know the activity on this site isn't what it once was, but I don't think there are nearly as many people doing extravagant Christmas yard displays.  I know in Broken Arrow and south Tulsa you could spend several nights visiting all of the fun places, but now my wife and I can hit every private display worth seeing in one night.  I don't know why, but I feel the Christmas light addiction is fading, despite The Great Christmas Light Fight and all the you tube postings.  I'd love to know what everyone else thought.

Doesn’t seem to be as many people decorating as there used to be. Maybe because  it’s the money or maybe it’s just to much work and time.

Edited by shane page

17 hours ago, shane page said:

Doesn’t seem to be as many people decorating as there used to be. Maybe because  it’s the money or maybe it’s just to much work and time.

It's just sad because when I have a good question, I don't really get quality responses because no one is ever on here.  

22 hours ago, salamber said:

Sadly, with little responses......I was wondering if there were any other places where people discuss Christmas lights.  

Any recommendations?

I rarely check in here any longer. Most of my Christmas interaction is via Facebook groups now. My go-to's:

Light-O-Rama Users - Unofficial support group which is generally far more diverse than just LOR
Holiday Lighting Think Tank 
Blowmold Nation
+ a couple of local/regional-centric lighting groups.

There's a few others too that I am a part of, but far less participatory in.

1 hour ago, Stephen Blue said:

Thanks Stephen.  I appreciate.  The hard part too is I got off facebook and so I have had to slowly get my wife to add groups.  And follow different pages.

I rarely check in here any longer. Most of my Christmas interaction is via Facebook groups now. My go-to's:

Light-O-Rama Users - Unofficial support group which is generally far more diverse than just LOR
Holiday Lighting Think Tank 
Blowmold Nation
+ a couple of local/regional-centric lighting groups.

There's a few others too that I am a part of, but far less participatory in.

One thing I've noticed are people are lazy and are getting the easy spot lights for their houses. I have about 4 total I put out but that's only after my display goes off about 10pm. I want lights on all night but can't afford 15,000 plus lights to be on for 12 hours. Offers something different as the night goes on.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, salamber said:

It's just sad because when I have a good question, I don't really get quality responses because no one is ever on here.  

wondering if Chuck could build a app for the cell phones really I don't know anyone own a Desktop PC but I do but mosly use my phone 

We still decorate/light up inside and out and have started on the inside, hope to be done by Halloween that gives us the entire month of Nov. to get all outside up and ready to light Dec. 1st. we have been changing our lights over to LED's and last year sold most of our reg. mini lights or gave away icicle lights replaced with LED's.

Here's a couple pics. of my PC desk top as of yesterday..

IMG_4283.JPG

IMG_4284.JPG

IMG_4285.JPG

When I first started my exterior display about 5 years ago my house was one of only a few in the neighborhood  that decorated.  As time has passed and my display has grown, more and more people in the neighborhood have started decorating, as well.  We inspire and motivate each other and set up season is now one of the neighborhood's social highlights of the year.  It is amazing what a few lights can do to foster a holiday spirit.

Finding and joining the Planet Christmas community has been incredibly helpful for me.  Who knew there were so many people with the same obsession and such an incredible array of experiences, creativity, skills AND a willingness to share?

Fodstar, I would encourage to look back through the older posts in the different categories.  I've learned so much from them over the years.  Glad you've found the site!

• Like 1

Back in the good old days PlanetChristmas was the happening place... only because we had been around from the beginning.

Many years ago I debated shifting the PlanetChristmas forums to Facebook but could never get comfortable with all the ads and the fact Facebook could change their mind about what was approved on their platform at any time... so the PlanetChristmas forums continues to hang around.

If you have any suggestions how we can improve the community, please let me know.

• Like 1

Thank you Chuck for the effort you put in on this site.  I found it by accident a few months ago and am truly impressed by how much good information is available here.  At the end of last year I only had some fancy LED lights(chasing and rain lights) but have begun to acquire blow molds and other decorations at an alarming rate.  You need to warn people at the Newbie section that this hobby has an addicting quality. 

From my point of view, the only thing wrong with this site is, I only found it this year!!!

The people and ideas are great.

I'm the type of person who thinks technology peaked with the invention of the jig saw with a work light and dust blower built in to it, so all this computer stuff is new to me.  I do have time during lunch to play around, and try to learn, but that's not much.

One day I may even learn how to post pictures of my display.

Keep up the great work, and Merry Christmas.

Over the years I have had many of my crazy embarrassing questions answered on this great site.  The responses have been timely considering how busy decorators are normally.  I enjoy getting a ton of information from Chuck's magazine.  Read it.  Look back at past threads for info and ideas.  I think Facebook is killing the idea of actually doing research.  Get rid of it.  Try youtube for videos on how to.  Go to LOR website forums (if you have LOR stuff). 

Have a nice day.

Chuck, et al:

Something that we all could consider doing would be to spread the word and introduce others to the site.  As this conversation string illustrates, at least some of us have found it purely by chance.  Prior to doing so, I had no clue that such communities even existed or where to turn for help and ideas.   Now that I do, I spend quite a bit of time trolling through the archives, considering and weighing design options and driving my wife crazy with my creative ramblings - all great fun!  I strongly suspect that there are many others out there who, like me, just needed a resource like PC to help get me started.

@Chuck I totally understand.  I have said this many times over on the Blow Mold specific Forums.  Facebook is great but it also allows for more rude people.  I don't have facebook for that reason.  People can hide behind their profile/fake profile.  Example:  I joined the LOR facebook group (via my wife's account) and asked a question and instantly a guy was scolding because it wasn't LOR specific.  

Sadly, I don't think Facebook is the way to go.  Especially when people are getting off facebook.

I do wish more people would chat on here.  But us enthusiasts are few and far between.

The work that you and others do, the people who actually give good responses are priceless.  

I especially enjoy just seeing overall photos of everyone's displays. Gives new ideas for me on what I could incorporate into me house and just learn small easy tricks that seem silly but are great ideas. Case in point binder clips for the roof. I learned that off here and in some cases they are much easier and hold better than actually roof clips.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 10:42 AM, Chuck said:

Back in the good old days PlanetChristmas was the happening place... only because we had been around from the beginning.

Many years ago I debated shifting the PlanetChristmas forums to Facebook but could never get comfortable with all the ads and the fact Facebook could change their mind about what was approved on their platform at any time... so the PlanetChristmas forums continues to hang around.

If you have any suggestions how we can improve the community, please let me know.

Chuck, my main recommendation would be to minimize all of the sub forums. We are in the age now where people want to access things from their phones, and they want all their info in literally seconds. Also, if you had less forums I actually think you would have MORE traffic. People would be more prone to posting, as they would see all of the topics in a few sub forums, not dozens. I love and appreciate this site...just trying to give some feedback.