Did you know?
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Mel Fischer

A few Halloween blow molds

Here are a couple of pictures of a few of the Halloween blow molds that are in the approximately 70 blow molds that we received last month.  I took the pictures today and still have to get pictures of the rest of them.

Mel

Halloween Blow Molds from Charles Enos (July 25, 2018) (01).jpg

Halloween Blow Molds from Charles Enos (July 25, 2018) (02).jpg

• Like 5

They look to be in fine shape....very nice!

I'm still loving that green witch the most.  

10 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

Hey Mel, do you have a barn to keep all of these molds in? 

The blow mold storage area.  The building is 24' x 36' and is over half full of blow molds including the overhead above the joists, the trailer is 12' x 61' and is packed completely full.  The other pictures are of our front porch at the moment, all of the totes are full of blow molds also.  The ones on the porch are waiting for me to take some pictures and make plastic bags for them.

Mel

MVC-006F (500).jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

The blow mold storage area.  The building is 24' x 36' and is over half full of blow molds including the overhead above the joists, the trailer is 12' x 61' and is packed completely full.  The other pictures are of our front porch at the moment, all of the totes are full of blow molds also.  The ones on the porch are waiting for me to take some pictures and make plastic bags for them.

Mel

MVC-006F (500).jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

What does that talking Santa say? My aunt has one and I was wondering what it did. She also has a snowman that looks like a talking one because of the sensor and speaker hole on the back.  if you would know what snowman I’m talking about, it has a blue jacket, long nose, and red and green scarf. They both have infrared sensors on the front of them. I’ll have to take a picture of them this Christmas. 

Edited by The Inflatable King Of Ohio

70 molds you 'received' last month?  Holy moly that is one large varied delivery of blowmolds batman!!  Now, not to come across too nosy...but when you say 'received'... is that like of you found and bought and via a shipment you 'received' these?... or received as in a 'gift'? I can count on 3 fingers the number of blowmolds ive ever ordered and received through one of the forms of 'mail'. The cost of shipping is a buzz kill for me. I did receive 7 Union elves in green jackets one time though...when one of my buddies dropped them off on my back patio. He knew i was into it...and got them from his parents who were cleaning out the garage. That was my personal best receipt of blowmolds ever...not counting the ones i personally went out and brought home packed like sardines in several trips with my van. But 70 in one month? Thats like 4 years of accumulating at the pace i used to operate at. :cool:

Ive always personally been more about the christmas display...but admittedly have bought and displayed and sold a number of Halloween blowmolds over the years.  A couple of those vertical pumpkin stacks ive never seen before...and especially cool is the horizontal halloween pumpkin stack. 

The ones on the porch...are even more ive never seen. Like the little ghost propping up his head with his hand....sitting in the cement fountain. 

Mel, do you have a limit as to how many of the exact same blow molds you are willing to keep in storage?  

I just realized that you received 70 last month and I don't have 70 in my entire collection......WOW!  I showed your pics to my husband and he was amazed. 

Edited by donna123

Mel, I think you should host guided tours of your collection! There are many of us who highly value the knowledge and guidance you provide. But, to see inside the blow mold compound... that would be fantastic. Thank you sincerely for the glimpse.

I'm curious what got you started with collecting. I've kind of focused on collecting molds of just a few particular things and the vast others I'm not that interested in. It seems like you want multiples of everything? How did you get started and what motivates you today?

I too,  would love a look at Mels collection!! It would have been great, to interview Mel, in PC magazine.. I think there would be a vast amount t of knowledge for all of us to gain from what he knows..   to have every mold ever made, what is that number? I couldn't fathom, the amount of pcs. I wouldnt even begin to how much to insure them for. 

Edited by Big J Illinois

16 hours ago, Scrooge said:

70 molds you 'received' last month?  Holy moly that is one large varied delivery of blowmolds batman!!  Now, not to come across too nosy...but when you say 'received'... is that like of you found and bought and via a shipment you 'received' these?... or received as in a 'gift'? I can count on 3 fingers the number of blowmolds ive ever ordered and received through one of the forms of 'mail'. The cost of shipping is a buzz kill for me. I did receive 7 Union elves in green jackets one time though...when one of my buddies dropped them off on my back patio. He knew i was into it...and got them from his parents who were cleaning out the garage. That was my personal best receipt of blowmolds ever...not counting the ones i personally went out and brought home packed like sardines in several trips with my van. But 70 in one month? Thats like 4 years of accumulating at the pace i used to operate at. :cool:

Ive always personally been more about the christmas display...but admittedly have bought and displayed and sold a number of Halloween blowmolds over the years.  A couple of those vertical pumpkin stacks ive never seen before...and especially cool is the horizontal halloween pumpkin stack. 

The ones on the porch...are even more ive never seen. Like the little ghost propping up his head with his hand....sitting in the cement fountain. 

I found and bought most of the blow molds and a few were gifts, they all came from one person and they were kind enough to deliver them personally.  I guess it helps that we are good friends.  Most of the blow molds originally came from private collections that our friend acquired and offered to us.

9 hours ago, donna123 said:

Mel, do you have a limit as to how many of the exact same blow molds you are willing to keep in storage?  

I just realized that you received 70 last month and I don't have 70 in my entire collection......WOW!  I showed your pics to my husband and he was amazed. 

Donna, I definitely do have a limit on how many duplicates I get and keep for our collection.  Most of the collection consists of one of each variation of a particular blow mold but we do have two each of several that we like.  Like most everyone else storage is a continuous problem as I find it extremely difficult to resist any blow molds that we do not have in the collection.  I have bought several small molds for the collection since getting the 70 from our friend.  Several of the 70 are smaller table top molds along with Halloween flashlights, spook sticks, etc but over half of the molds are Christmas ones.

Here are a few pictures that I took this morning of the inside of the storage building, I have not taken individual pictures of most all of blow molds yet.  There are table top molds and candy pails in most all of the totes and boxes in the pictures.  The trailer is too full to be able to take much in the way of pictures.

Mel

IMG_3138 (1000).jpg

IMG_3137 (1000).jpg

IMG_3135 (1000).jpg

IMG_3136 (1000).jpg

IMG_3139 (1000).jpg

IMG_3140 (1000).jpg

IMG_3141 (1000).jpg

Edited by Mel Fischer
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Light in the Dark said:

Mel, I think you should host guided tours of your collection! There are many of us who highly value the knowledge and guidance you provide. But, to see inside the blow mold compound... that would be fantastic. Thank you sincerely for the glimpse.

I'm curious what got you started with collecting. I've kind of focused on collecting molds of just a few particular things and the vast others I'm not that interested in. It seems like you want multiples of everything? How did you get started and what motivates you today?

The collecting of blow molds started with doing a Christmas display and liking the blow molds enough to keep adding some when we could find them.  Through the years I became interested in learning more about the blow molds and their history and today my main interest in them is their history, who made them and when they were made.

You are mistaken in thinking that I want multiples of everything, my interest is in acquiring ones we do not have in our collection and I very seldom acquire duplicates of anything we have.  Most of the duplicates we get are because I forgot we already had one.  I have taken pictures of several hundred of the ones in our collection (most all those pictures are shown on http://blow-molded.com/)  Most all pictures there without "courtesy of" are of blow molds in our collection.  The only duplicates in the pictures in my first post in this thread are the two Drainage "Stick Pumpkins", the two "Pumpkin Clusters" in that picture look identical but they are different and were made from different molds.  I know one was made by Drainage Industries but can find no information on the second one, possibly it was made by Integrated Plastics but I have no confirmation on that.

A few more pictures of the inside of the storage building.

Mel

IMG_3144 (1000).jpg

IMG_3145 (1000).jpg

IMG_3146 (1000).jpg

IMG_3147 (1000).jpg

IMG_3148 (1000).jpg

IMG_3143 (1000).jpg

Edited by Mel Fischer

On 9/6/2018 at 4:21 PM, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

What does that talking Santa say? My aunt has one and I was wondering what it did. She also has a snowman that looks like a talking one because of the sensor and speaker hole on the back.  if you would know what snowman I’m talking about, it has a blue jacket, long nose, and red and green scarf. They both have infrared sensors on the front of them. I’ll have to take a picture of them this Christmas. 

The Santa says "Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas" and plays either "Jingle Bells", "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" or "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" for a few seconds.  I took it out of the box today and tried it out, it works perfect and is in like new condition.  I do not know about that snowman, the only snowman I can think of with the sensor and speaker is the one in the attached catalog page.

Mel

Empire Taliking Santa (800).jpg

Empire Plastics 1995 Catalog 019s.Jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Light in the Dark said:

Indeed Big J. Awesome! 

Do you keep the finest stuff (maybe mold craft for example) inside your home rather than in the storage buildings?

Both, we have the Heller Industries (Mold-Craft) life size Nativity ( Joseph, Mary & Christ Child) along with a 44" Heller choir boy & choir girl and a pair of  Mold-Craft 29" boy & girl angel singers on display in our living room year round.  The rest of the Mold-Craft are in the storage building and trailer.

Mel

Heller Ind Living Room.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mel Fischer said:

Both, we have the Heller Industries (Mold-Craft) life size Nativity ( Joseph, Mary & Christ Child) along with a 44" Heller choir boy & choir girl and a pair of  Mold-Craft 29" boy & girl angel singers on display in our living room year round.  The rest of the Mold-Craft are in the storage building and trailer.

Mel

Heller Ind Living Room.jpg

I agree with the above post Mel, you should host a tour of some sorts, I would love to see a virtual tour and history lesson on each piece. However, in all my "few years on pc" I have often wondered about your avatar picture, Im sure its a mold of some sorts, ( he favors the elf in the pic)  how about a little history lesson behind the really cool elf avatar. 

Don, sorry to say we have the head only for that brownie, it is from a set of three Mold-Craft "Santa's Brownies" that apparently were new in 1957.  Heller Industries also made the brownies after they acquired Mold-Craft in the early 60's and the molds for those were lost in the fire that destroyed Heller Industries in January 1966.  The picture of the three Heller heads came from an eBay auction in December 2016.  The seller wanted $495 for the three, they were listed several times and the last time I saw them I think the price had been lowered to $375.  I don't know if they sold.

Mel

Santa's Brownies (1957).jpg

Mold-Craft Elf Head (Front) (#360-1) (500) (Text).jpg

Heller Ind Santas Brownie Heads.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Don, sorry to say we have the head only for that brownie, it is from a set of three Mold-Craft "Santa's Brownies" that apparently were new in 1957.  Heller Industries also made the brownies after they acquired Mold-Craft in the early 60's and the molds for those were lost in the fire that destroyed Heller Industries in January 1966.  The picture of the three Heller heads came from an eBay auction in December 2016.  The seller wanted $495 for the three, they were listed several times and the last time I saw them I think the price had been lowered to $375.  I don't know if they sold.

Mel

Santa's Brownies (1957).jpg

Mold-Craft Elf Head (Front) (#360-1) (500) (Text).jpg

Heller Ind Santas Brownie Heads.jpg

Cool lesson Mel, thanks for all you do for the mold collecting world!!!

I hate to sound redundant, but I'd love to see all of your blow molds pictured on PC, although I suspect that would be a lot more difficult to do that most of us could imagine. 

I can assure you, it would be more difficult then even I could imagine considering how many there are and so many of the small and large ones packed in boxes and totes.  I still need to get pictures of the Christmas, table top and small ones that we got last month.  It would be a major project just getting our blow molds out of boxes and bags to take pictures and then get them back into the right boxes and bags after pictures were taken.  I have been working at taking pictures of the collection since 2008 when Kev first set up blowmolded.com and I still don't have pictures of at least half of the different blow molds we have let alone any duplicates.  We have a friend in Port Orchard who also has a fantastic large collection and without his help we would not have many of the individual ones that we have.  He has several that we do not have yet.

Mel

• Like 1

Hi, Mel

I noticed you bag all of your blow molds, is this to keep the dust off of them or for other reasons? 

For me the ones that came in bags are still in bags but the rest of them are not. Should I be bagging them?

I was also wounding what amount of blow molds are you able to put out each Halloween and Christmas? 

• Like 1

What an awesome storage facility!  If i had that space i might actually still be putting up the big display. ;)

So, im curoius...which of your molds would you say is the oldest?

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 6:00 PM, Mel Fischer said:

Mel

You should leave all the ones that are Halloween on the porch and start lighting them up in a few weeks!

TED